Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Barriers coming to BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Well BA is the only European carrier that has one of these policies and that article is exactly the type of travel article I'd see on DailyMail.
If that's what you meant you can just strike the "airways" part of your post. Most EU countries, certainly those in which BA's main competitors are based, have a lower drinking age.

The only reason under-18s have restricted access to BA's lounges is the access to alcohol.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Paralytic
"Unexpected passenger in lounge area"
^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
This will be a real shame if implemented. I would much rather interact with a human than an automated gate and this certainly dehumanises another part of the airport experience and makes it much less pleasurable.

I think only once have I been kept waiting for more than a minute at any of the entrance desks and I've never been greeted by a 'dragon'.

This is just another cut - I can't see savings here being reinvested elsewhere - designed to improve BA's bottom line at the cost of its premium/full service reputation.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
If that's what you meant you can just strike the "airways" part of your post. Most EU countries, certainly those in which BA's main competitors are based, have a lower drinking age.
That may be true for beer and wine but anything stronger is 18+ pretty much everywhere in Europe.

My experience from my pre-18 times was that BA usually didn't care about my age when entering lounge with only one exception (at Heathrow). I never tried it in the US though.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:21 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
BA lounges officially have the policy of no one under 18 can enter the lounge alone, how often is this enforced and how can the automated gate tell who is of age?
Wouldn't an automatic gate make it easier? You need to provide your date of birth during check in, so the system knows what your age is rather than relying on an agent eye balling you.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Wouldn't an automatic gate make it easier? You need to provide your date of birth during check in, so the system knows what your age is rather than relying on an agent eye balling you.
Is that true? I am not sure you need to on domestic or European flights.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sxc
If the system is actually is that advanced. Fake bp's can always be made which could have the correct DOB.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the system is actually is that advanced. Fake bp's can always be made which could have the correct DOB.
A boarding pass does not encode the date of birth itself; this information would be in the PNR which is stored in a server. It can be looked up if you have the boarding pass though.

Unlike some lounges, BA at LHR actually check your boarding pass is a real boarding pass when you scan it. Presenting a fake boarding pass would probably get you arrested and removed from the airside area.

See http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/stb/doc...v4_jun2009.pdf PDF page 49 for the data encoded in the barcode of a boarding pass.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 25, 2016 at 7:24 am
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by the810

My experience from my pre-18 times was that BA usually didn't care about my age when entering lounge with only one exception (at Heathrow). I never tried it in the US though.
US lounges are pretty hot on checking ages.

Basically if it's a free pour bar anyone travelling alone and under the drinking age isn't getting in.

If there is an actual manned bar or at seat service then they would admit because the staff can ask to see proof of dob before serving alcohol
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Leaked mock-up of T5 North Lounge entrance

LOL
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:53 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Worcester
Yes that will give the place a real premium feel.
you're over reacting

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SIDHUVc46...0/DSCN7242.JPG

https://notableflightlog.files.wordp...9/img_7604.jpg

Last edited by cur; Aug 26, 2016 at 7:03 am
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:47 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I like the idea. Too many times I've been waiting in line to get into the GF as the person in front of me has some issue (be it looking up the card info or they shouldn't be there).
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
On seeing these pictures, I've changed my mind. Adding barriers will move the queues from the BA desks to the turnstiles, meaning the lounge dragons angels can spend more time reading Flyertalk service customers

Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:47 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
On seeing these pictures, I've changed my mind. Adding barriers will move the queues from the BA desks to the turnstiles, meaning the lounge dragons angels can spend more time reading Flyertalk service customers

ya and i'm sure ba will execute this with lhr-esque precision......whatever you can call lhr
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Same booking tends to work. Or guest shows pass to attendant who will see the card holders details already on screen.

How this can be viewed as a negative is beyond me!
Same here, I've been through one of these in ARN for a star lounge and I thought it was super nifty. If your BP is coded to allow you in, you automatically go in, otherwise there's always an attendant that can buzz you in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.