Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Barriers coming to BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:58 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I don't see this as a particular issue per se, but I suppose it might be a bit of a spanner in the works when it comes to guesting someone in who is travelling on another PNR.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Leaked mock-up of T5 North Lounge entrance

To be fair that is not as bad as I'd imagined....
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Air New Zealand lounges had them when we passed through a few places in New Zealand and even use them at the gate on domestic flights. They worked for us.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by RGMD11
Just returning from GRU-MIA-LHR-LIS,in J on AA, upgraded in Miami to F, (nothing special, 773),prefer BA F, though as everyone knows the AA 773 J hard product is far better than Yang Yang BA J,

But to the main point of this post, just passed through GF in T3, talking about BA "enhancements", with lounge guardian, and told they are going to install Automatic gates into BA lounges,REALLY, Wow,along with mandatory automated check in, Willie and Alex really are ramping up the spiral to the bottom,
I wonder when a customer will finally be able to have the complete end to end unattended journey.

1. OLCI and self tag your bags at check in
2. Automatic security scan
3. Automated barriers for lounges
4. Automated barriers at boarding gates (a la Frankfurt)
5. Unmanned flight
6. Automatic passport gates

I suppose whilst in principle it's possible there will always be a need to staff attendants, for safety on the planes and in case things go wrong elsewhere.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Only worth implementing if there is also a trap door for chancers, tailgaters and miscreants
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
How do you deal with you guests? Computer will say no, automatically, requires human intervention
Perhaps they will have some sort of innovation such as a board with a printed message on it.

Let's call it a 'sign'.

And the sign could be posted next to the gate so that people could see it.

And this 'sign' could impart information such as

'if you have a guest please see the receptionist and do not use the gate'

Programs: AC 35K
I agree this will in general be a positive. If set-up correctly should be similar to Fast-Track security. A member of staff will need to be present to deal with any issues, as well as guesting.

You typically only get a grunt at LHR lounge receptions, so a machine-generated grunt would be just as welcoming.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Perhaps they will have some sort of innovation such as a board with a printed message on it.

Let's call it a 'sign'.

And the sign could be posted next to the gate so that people could see it.

And this 'sign' could impart information such as

'if you have a guest please see the receptionist and do not use the gate'
Or maybe it will just be too complicated and it's a good opportunity to give guests the K.O.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by rossmacd
You typically only get a grunt at LHR lounge receptions, so a machine-generated grunt would be just as welcoming.
Aw that’s a shame - i always get a smile and a welcome
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Always get a smile at GF too.

How long before these replace staff at a gate? Or very least a domestic gate?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:07 am

I don't have a problem with this, as long as there are staff on hand to help with any issues and apply the correct rules when the computer says no.

I look forward to seeing plenty of DYKWIAs trying to smuggle their children through the gate without anyone noticing.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Aw that’s a shame - i always get a smile and a welcome
I always try my very best to be happy/polite/chatty with the Lounge Agents, so maybe it is just my face
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hard to see it as a negative. Even if the gate cannot acommodate every permutation. If 95% of visitors can make it through, that allows staff to focus on those who need assistance (or who are fraud artists with a story).

Automated gates work well elsewhere in the world of commercial aviation, including at gates, but there always needs to be a staff person present for the exception cases.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I always try my very best to be happy/polite/chatty with the Lounge Agents, so maybe it is just my face
a ruggedly handsome face has its drawbacks then. Not a problem for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.