Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1 more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It would make no difference but as a preference I would always take the JK seats.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
789 to MAD

I see that from 29 October BA460/1 to MAD is being operated most days as a 789 with First and WT+ blocked. I am in ET, but MMB only shows the blocked WT+ seats, so I had to call to reserve a seat.

I wonder if they will release the WT+ seats if the flight gets full (but that might mean more flight crew).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:33 pm

Row 20 or 21 in WT

Flying from east coast U.S. to LHR in the spring on a 788, I was able to use miles to upgrade to Club World on the way there, but unfortunately only World Traveller on the way back. I need to be in an aisle seat for medical reasons, so have 1J booked on the way over so the window seat can get out without climbing over me (if I read the seating charts correctly?). On the return, I'm looking at 21C or 21H, or 20D or 20F. With the bassinet in the middle in row 20, I'm assuming 21C or H would be better? BA source says row 21 has restricted leg room due to the bulkhead, can anyone confirm? I'm only 5'1" so don't need a huge amount, just trying to avoid my legs being cramped or being squished by the person next to me as much as possible since I have chronic joint pain. I know those seats are all a little narrower because of the tray table in the arm rest, but I'm hoping the solid armrest will maybe keep the person next to me from encroaching on my seat quite so much... any advice in rows 20 and 21? I saw some recommendations for 21F, but that doesn't look like a bulkhead seat? Would appreciate any help, thank you!

Also, I booked the ticket with AA miles, didn't realize they would not let me upgrade to WTP with cash since I booked with miles. Any chance BA might let me upgrade at the airport if there is availability? Thanks!

Last edited by ABlue; Oct 25, 2017 at 8:34 pm Reason: Add plane type
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I can only answer your last question, yes you are likely to be able to get an AUP - airport upgrade promotion.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ABlue
On the return, I'm looking at 21C or 21H, or 20D or 20F. With the bassinet in the middle in row 20, I'm assuming 21C or H would be better? BA source says row 21 has restricted leg room due to the bulkhead, can anyone confirm? I'm only 5'1" so don't need a huge amount, just trying to avoid my legs being cramped or being squished by the person next to me as much as possible since I have chronic joint pain.
You would be unlucky to get a tubby person next to you, but to be clear I don't think that is your biggest problem, 787-8 in WT has the tightest seats going, tighter than BA's shorthaul aircraft. So frankly any seat in WTP would be an improvement but particularly an aisle seat. In a way, WTP exists as a cabin for people like you - those who appreciate a little more space around them. If you have to go WT then any other aircraft type, even the 787-9, would be better. And if you did get a tubby person next to you, then the hard sides won't stop you being squished, the problem usually is higher up than where the seating arm rests.

The CW seat will be fine, any aisle seat would be fine, and yes that particular seat won't have someone exiting near you. Consider 3E or 7E in your position, not only do you have two ways out, but a lot more space.

In common with most aircraft types, bulkheads give more knee-room but typically less leg-room. Exceptions exist, but not with this aircraft. Given you aren't very tall you may not notice, but in the main seating block usually you will be able to get your legs under the seat in front and that gives the lower legs a lot more space/wriggle room. The bulkheads won't have anyone reclining into you, but the distance your leg can stretch will be less than in the other seats in that cabin. Some of those seats, e.g. 21C, you can stretch the legs at an angle into the aisle, though the curtain makes this a bit hazardous.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You would be unlucky to get a tubby person next to you, but to be clear I don't think that is your biggest problem, 787-8 in WT has the tightest seats going, tighter than BA's shorthaul aircraft. So frankly any seat in WTP would be an improvement but particularly an aisle seat. In a way, WTP exists as a cabin for people like you - those who appreciate a little more space around them. If you have to go WT then any other aircraft type, even the 787-9, would be better. And if you did get a tubby person next to you, then the hard sides won't stop you being squished, the problem usually is higher up than where the seating arm rests.

The CW seat will be fine, any aisle seat would be fine, and yes that particular seat won't have someone exiting near you. Consider 3E or 7E in your position, not only do you have two ways out, but a lot more space.

In common with most aircraft types, bulkheads give more knee-room but typically less leg-room. Exceptions exist, but not with this aircraft. Given you aren't very tall you may not notice, but in the main seating block usually you will be able to get your legs under the seat in front and that gives the lower legs a lot more space/wriggle room. The bulkheads won't have anyone reclining into you, but the distance your leg can stretch will be less than in the other seats in that cabin. Some of those seats, e.g. 21C, you can stretch the legs at an angle into the aisle, though the curtain makes this a bit hazardous.
Thanks for your help! The 787-8 is normally the only option on this route (BWI-LHR). Your input convinced me to look more into upgrade options for my return flight though, and it turns out the total taxes and fees were not that much more to get award tickets for one way flights each way in CW than for round trip CW outbound/WT inbound (round trip CW was way more expensive, oddly enough). I decided it was worth it to transfer/buy the remaining points I need to upgrade to CW both directions, so Ive got those award flights on hold now while I do that. Never flown in CW before, looking forward to it!

Its disappointing about the 787-8 WT because I have to fly economy when I fly for work and always had pretty good experiences with BA flights (last time was just before they changed to the 787-8, I think it used to be a 767). I avoid Dulles Airport whenever possible and it is a long drive, but BA does fly the 747 out of there. Would I be better off with the 747 for my next flight for work in WT than the 787-8? Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ABlue
It’s disappointing about the 787-8 WT because I have to fly economy when I fly for work and always had pretty good experiences with BA flights (last time was just before they changed to the 787-8, I think it used to be a 767). I avoid Dulles Airport whenever possible and it is a long drive, but BA does fly the 747 out of there. Would I be better off with the 747 for my next flight for work in WT than the 787-8? Thanks for your help!
They did indeed run 767s to BWI, and though it was somewhat tatty in the final stages, it was a reasonably spacious set of seating, so long as you had your own IFE. The 747 is better in WT than the 787, no question in my mind (albeit on a global sum of 1 flight!). In WTP then the 787 is a better option, however if the the 747 is a Super J version (see thebasource.com / seatplans for details, it has 86 club world seats) then in WT the 747 is massively better, in WTP probably still the 787 but on a day flight it's a closer call. If IAD has the A380 running, then that's the best altogether, indeed upper deck WT is one of the better economy cabins in the sky. BWI is a fairly cute airport actually, I quite like it, it's certainly less stressful than IAD.

For CW, personally I'm a big fan of the 787, but the 747 Super J Upper Deck has to be experienced at least once (and a warning: it may prove detrimental to your future wealth).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
For WT+ on the 788, can anyone comment on if there is limited recline on the row 13 seats? SeatGuru notes row 13 seats may have limited recline, but I can't seem to find any confirmation. That's the only window seat open right now on my flight, but I'll probably switch to an aisle seat if the recline is in fact limited.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No limited recline on any seat.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
No limited recline on any seat.
Perfect. Much appreciated!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: Gold Actually
. The 747 is better in WT than the 787, no question in my mind (albeit on a global sum of 1 flight!)..
Me thinks CWS should 'take one for the team' and fly in WT on all of the plane types - long and shorthaul
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Any views on which are the best CW 788 seats for a couple on a daytime flight? Currently got 1A/B. Sounds like there aren’t any particularly good or bad options. Got 3J/K for the overnight return.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:01 pm

Seat Advice Please

Wife and I have an upcoming flight on a BA 789. We can't quite tell from Seat Guru how the layout works for a U ticket in Club World (Business). Do the A/B and J/K seats face each other so we can chat during flight? Or are they partitioned? We have no problem with rear facing.

Also interested in the D/F seats, but we can't quite tell how the E seat affects the privacy of D/F. Will the person in E be staring right at us the whole time? Will they have to disturb us if he gets up and down during the flight? Thanks!

Last edited by cheaptom; Jan 2, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Wide and I have an upcoming flight on a BA 789. We can't quite tell from Seat Guru how the layout works for a U ticket in Club World (Business). Do the A/B and J/K seats face each other so we can chat during flight? Or are they partitioned? We have no problem with rear facing.

Also interested in the D/F seats, but we can't quite tell how the E seat affects the privacy of D/F. Will the person in E be staring right at us the whole time? Will they have to disturb us if he gets up and down during the flight? Thanks!
It's best not to use seatguru on BA aircraft, it's somewhat inaccurate. The better website it thebasource, which is run by people who know what they are doing (and some are connected with this forum).

Yes those seats A+B and J+K are facing each other, one rear facing on the window, and front facing on the aisle. They are ideal for couples. Any Club World photo of recent vintage will give you the general idea, it's a fairly uniform arrangement on all longhaul aircraft apart from the A318 and A321. In the centre block D and E face into each other, or E and F, but there's no line of sight between D and F. There are user operated screens between each set of seats. There aren't particular seats for redemption tickets.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:16 pm

It's best not to use seatguru on BA aircraft, it's somewhat inaccurate. The better website it thebasource, which is run by people who know what they are doing (and some are connected with this forum).

Yes those seats A+B and J+K are facing each other, one rear facing on the window, and front facing on the aisle. They are ideal for couples. Any Club World photo of recent vintage will give you the general idea, it's a fairly uniform arrangement on all longhaul aircraft apart from the A318 and A321. In the centre block D and E face into each other, or E and F, but there's no line of sight between D and F. There are user operated screens between each set of seats. There aren't particular seats for redemption tickets.
Very helpful, thank you. As much as I hate paying extra for BA seat reservations, I'm leaning toward doing that so I can reserve AB or JK and know my seats are all set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.