FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:36 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ABlue
On the return, I'm looking at 21C or 21H, or 20D or 20F. With the bassinet in the middle in row 20, I'm assuming 21C or H would be better? BA source says row 21 has restricted leg room due to the bulkhead, can anyone confirm? I'm only 5'1" so don't need a huge amount, just trying to avoid my legs being cramped or being squished by the person next to me as much as possible since I have chronic joint pain.
You would be unlucky to get a tubby person next to you, but to be clear I don't think that is your biggest problem, 787-8 in WT has the tightest seats going, tighter than BA's shorthaul aircraft. So frankly any seat in WTP would be an improvement but particularly an aisle seat. In a way, WTP exists as a cabin for people like you - those who appreciate a little more space around them. If you have to go WT then any other aircraft type, even the 787-9, would be better. And if you did get a tubby person next to you, then the hard sides won't stop you being squished, the problem usually is higher up than where the seating arm rests.

The CW seat will be fine, any aisle seat would be fine, and yes that particular seat won't have someone exiting near you. Consider 3E or 7E in your position, not only do you have two ways out, but a lot more space.

In common with most aircraft types, bulkheads give more knee-room but typically less leg-room. Exceptions exist, but not with this aircraft. Given you aren't very tall you may not notice, but in the main seating block usually you will be able to get your legs under the seat in front and that gives the lower legs a lot more space/wriggle room. The bulkheads won't have anyone reclining into you, but the distance your leg can stretch will be less than in the other seats in that cabin. Some of those seats, e.g. 21C, you can stretch the legs at an angle into the aisle, though the curtain makes this a bit hazardous.