FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:04 pm
ABlue

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You would be unlucky to get a tubby person next to you, but to be clear I don't think that is your biggest problem, 787-8 in WT has the tightest seats going, tighter than BA's shorthaul aircraft. So frankly any seat in WTP would be an improvement but particularly an aisle seat. In a way, WTP exists as a cabin for people like you - those who appreciate a little more space around them. If you have to go WT then any other aircraft type, even the 787-9, would be better. And if you did get a tubby person next to you, then the hard sides won't stop you being squished, the problem usually is higher up than where the seating arm rests.

The CW seat will be fine, any aisle seat would be fine, and yes that particular seat won't have someone exiting near you. Consider 3E or 7E in your position, not only do you have two ways out, but a lot more space.

In common with most aircraft types, bulkheads give more knee-room but typically less leg-room. Exceptions exist, but not with this aircraft. Given you aren't very tall you may not notice, but in the main seating block usually you will be able to get your legs under the seat in front and that gives the lower legs a lot more space/wriggle room. The bulkheads won't have anyone reclining into you, but the distance your leg can stretch will be less than in the other seats in that cabin. Some of those seats, e.g. 21C, you can stretch the legs at an angle into the aisle, though the curtain makes this a bit hazardous.
Thanks for your help! The 787-8 is normally the only option on this route (BWI-LHR). Your input convinced me to look more into upgrade options for my return flight though, and it turns out the total taxes and fees were not that much more to get award tickets for one way flights each way in CW than for round trip CW outbound/WT inbound (round trip CW was way more expensive, oddly enough). I decided it was worth it to transfer/buy the remaining points I need to upgrade to CW both directions, so I’ve got those award flights on hold now while I do that. Never flown in CW before, looking forward to it!

It’s disappointing about the 787-8 WT because I have to fly economy when I fly for work and always had pretty good experiences with BA flights (last time was just before they changed to the 787-8, I think it used to be a 767). I avoid Dulles Airport whenever possible and it is a long drive, but BA does fly the 747 out of there. Would I be better off with the 747 for my next flight for work in WT than the 787-8? Thanks for your help!