Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:39 pm

All WTP have fixed armrest and trays inside so that doesnt matter. Bulkhead has better legrest, but less room to stretch out your legs than other seats.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk brutaladi, and welcome to the BA forum. It's great to get new members here, so I hope you will be able to participate regularly. Welcome on board.

The bulkheads on WTP on the two 787 aircraft type is fairly generous in having quite a fair bit of leg room in front of them - but as you say the other seats have as much if not more under the seat in front. The one thing to be aware is that the window seats will be a bassinet seat so there is some risk on a babe in arms near by. The narrowing for the IFE doesn't seem that marked to me. Not being at eye level may be a disadvantage to some, but equally the stalk means you have greater flexibility as to the angle and placement. The other advantage of that row is that it is the first to get service. More information in this thread which is available via the forum's Dashboard for future reference:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...787-8-9-a.html

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:49 pm Reason: circular URL
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA
Thanks much for the wam welcome and your advice.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:29 am

Hello I am flying to MAA on 28 March and returning 7 April in a 788. I have booked 3A on the way out and 3K on the way back. Both are dayflights but arriving and leaving at horrible times - arriving 3.30am and leaving 5.30ish. Are these good seats with easy access to the aisle? I am used to Qatar J not Club World. Also is service from the front or back. At the
moment the J cabin is fairly quiet and hopefully it
will continue like that. Thank you
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
I have booked 3A on the way out and 3K on the way back. Both are dayflights but arriving and leaving at horrible times - arriving 3.30am and leaving 5.30ish. Are these good seats with easy access to the aisle? Also is service from the front or back.
Probably the best 2 seats on a 788 I would say. As you likely know, both are window seats with direct aisle access, in the front mini-cabin The aisle access is fine to anyone who is even vaguely mobile. I could by no means be called slender, and I have no difficulty with 3K on a 788.

I can't speak with 100% certainty about the service order, someone more experienced than me will do so. I believe service in the J cabin is done by status order - I've never paid that much attention when flying in J tbh, but it never seemed to be done in a strict front to back order or whatever.

My only piece of advice would be watch out for aircraft swaps. With the ongoing 787 engine issues, they are prone to swaps, and when they swap a 788 for a 789, you will lose 3A/K since there is no 3A/K on a 789, and your new seats may well be poorer. (I suffered this at the start of the month). Not really much you can do there except keep an eye on Manage My Booking
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:59 am

Hello I am flying to MAA on 28 March and returning 7 April in a 788. I have booked 3A on the way out and 3K on the way back. Both are dayflights but arriving and leaving at horrible times - arriving 3.30am and leaving 5.30ish. Are these good seats with easy access to the aisle? I am used to Qatar J not Club World. Also is service from the front or back. At the
moment the J cabin is fairly quiet and hopefully it
will continue like that. Thank you
They are fantastic seats. The foot room is far better on BA than on QR when the seat is in bed mode. 7AK are also good, but there is a higher chance of being close a baby in the bassinet of WTP on the other side of the cabin divider.

Once the divider is up, those 3AK are both extremely private.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:39 am

Thank you does anybody know if the J loads
are likely to be light on the Chennai routing as it is around Easter? What are the chances of
BA changing the metal? Thanks again
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:59 am

Thank you does anybody know if the J loads
are likely to be light on the Chennai routing as it is around Easter? What are the chances of
BA changing the metal? Thanks again
Can't help on the expected loads, sorry. Maybe someone who knows the route could say.

Regarding the odds of a swap, that's hard to say. Obviously, it can happen, but it's still more likely that it will be a 788. And of course, things could change come Easter, depending on what they find between now and then with the engine inspections. One way to get a ballpark figure could be looking at the historical data:

In the last 30 days, BA35 has been operated by a 788 23 times and a 789 on 7 occasions.

Another 788 route is BA95 to YUL, which over the last 30 days used a 788 26 times and a 789 on 4 occasions.

So, absent any other data, that might give you a feel for the chances.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:29 am

Thank you for the clarification
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by brutaladi
Hi,

Travelling to LHR-Beijing in 789 WTP and have a choice of front row aisle (16D) or any other aisle seat.

Of course front row bulkhead will have more leg space but is that relevant given WTP seat pitch is anyways good.

The only issues I could think of with 16D are 1) Less seat width due to tray in armrest and 2) IFE not at eye level.

What do experts think?
(Or is it just me ;-)

Thanks
A slightly belated response, but the only other observations I’d make about the 789 WTP bulkhead seats are:

- I’m 5’10” and I find that I have enough room to stretch out my legs pretty fully when sleeping, but if you are significantly taller then I think the rows behind would give you more legroom to stretch out.

- The IFE screens have to be stowed for takeoff (although I think you’re ok to put them back up a couple of minutes after takeoff rather than waiting for the seatbelt sign to go off) and 20 minutes before landing – whereas in the rows behind you can keep watching the IFE throughout takeoff and landing.

- BA cabin crew tend to be pretty strict about ensuring the bulkhead floor area is completely clear for takeoff and landing. So whereas in the rows behind you can put small handbags etc under the seat in front, in the bulkhead rows the crew may insist you put the items in the overhead lockers for takeoff and landing.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm flying on the 789 in J to Austin in a couple of weeks (first CW flight for sometime, I've been dipping my wick with AA a lot recently). Of course window seats in rows 6 & 7 are gone, so have put myself into 7E. Will feedback after the flight. My return is in a throne seat on AY's 330 from MIA-HEL.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
7E is an excellent seat.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
And another one... Flying back on 787-9 from KUL in Club with wife and 2 year old. Is row 6 or 7 better to have her in the middle, and to assure that she doesn’t run off on us (I.e. what row will she have a wall facing her, I guess). Done the plane before in F, but will be first time in Club, so not that familiar with seating? Looks to be 2-3-2? Any and all advice really appreciated!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
And another one... Flying back on 787-9 from KUL in Club with wife and 2 year old. Is row 6 or 7 better to have her in the middle, and to assure that she doesn’t run off on us (I.e. what row will she have a wall facing her, I guess). Done the plane before in F, but will be first time in Club, so not that familiar with seating? Looks to be 2-3-2? Any and all advice really appreciated!
Both 787 variants are indeed 2-3-2 with the centre seat in the middle facing rearward.

7 D/E/F in the front cabin would have your young one facing the bulkhead if in E, but that's a direct aisle access seat, if she's nimble she could scoot out 'behind' the D or F seat.

I have no kids myself, so I'll defer to wiser heads, as I have no idea about the agility of the average 2yo!
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Take 7DEF and put a bag either side of 7E.
LondonCanuck and BertieBadger like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.