Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is there any issue with Household Accts and TP's or Lifetime TP's? I'm thinking of setting up a HHA for the first time so I can exploit my kids earned Avios, and it seems the only negative is that I won't be able to gift award flights to anyone outside of the HHA, right?

And there would be no effect on my Lifetime TP's? Even if the other people in my HHA don't take a paid flight for a 3 year period?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:29 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by stimpy
Is there any issue with Household Accts and TP's or Lifetime TP's? I'm thinking of setting up a HHA for the first time so I can exploit my kids earned Avios, and it seems the only negative is that I won't be able to gift award flights to anyone outside of the HHA, right?

And there would be no effect on my Lifetime TP's? Even if the other people in my HHA don't take a paid flight for a 3 year period?
A HHA does not actually create an account, it simply allows the avios in all HHA members accounts to be pooled. You will still see your own avios balance and TP's.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
More explanation of household accounts is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
More explanation of household accounts is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html
Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I vote to make it a Sticky!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:48 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
I vote to make it a Sticky!
It's one of the "core guides" linked to at the top of the wonderful "dashboard" sticky.

(Not having a go at you -- just reminding us all, self included, that the BA board has already got something that's far more functional than two dozen stickies filling up the first page. ^)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
It's one of the "core guides" linked to at the top of the wonderful "dashboard" sticky.

(Not having a go at you -- just reminding us all, self included, that the BA board has already got something that's far more functional than two dozen stickies filling up the first page. ^)
You're right. I should have gone there first, but I started with Google and got sent the wrong way.

But another issue has cropped up. Each time I try to access the HHA page on ba.com I get this error after waiting a few minutes.

Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.
Reference #1.99d91002.1438635445.5f56379a

This happens whether I click on the HHA link from within my account or I try an external Google found link. I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully it will have been fixed by then.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by kyushuman
FYI my status showed Silver all along, never dropped to Bronze, and today (the first day after the old Silver card was expiring) my "Card Expiry Date" has changed to July 31st, 2017.
This is GREAT-- I really appreciate everyones' help here on FT.
I enjoyed a fantastic ticket using CX and QR Business class on CPH-DOH-HKG-KUL//BKK-HKG-DOH-CPH, flew AMS-LHR-GLA and back on BA for my 4 segments, thoroughly enjoying the BA T5 lounge both ways, and spent around US$1600 total for 2 more years of BA Silver.
Today got the "Welcome to Silver" email.
Ironically also in the post was my new "Sorry you didn't make it to Silver" Bronze membership kit, which is already obsolete. So I'd guess the Silver one will take about 6 weeks (the Bronze one was "fulfilled" in mid-June, just arrived today).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Today got the "Welcome to Silver" email.
Ironically also in the post was my new "Sorry you didn't make it to Silver" Bronze membership kit, which is already obsolete. So I'd guess the Silver one will take about 6 weeks (the Bronze one was "fulfilled" in mid-June, just arrived today).
I thought your would get this considering the time frame you gave us.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta, BA
Smile

Originally Posted by Prospero
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Travel Kitteh

It is possible to upgrade a BA flight using AA Miles but there are number conditions that apply. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html for more info. The wikipost in that thread provides a useful summary/check list.
Thanks, Prospero. Wish us luck!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC
I currently don’t have status, but I’m planning a run/short trip when my new membership year begins in January to get it. The main benefit I am after is saving on seat selection fees for family trips a couple of times a year. I'm not fussy on seats (just want to sit together) so bronze would do me, but would appreciate silver.

Currently thinking of two strategies:
• A run for silver status to get nearly two years of silver, plus one year of soft landing to bronze.
• A run for bronze to get nearly two years of bronze.

Just wondering what other people’s bronze/silver strategies are? Is it worth pushing on for silver for the extra year and extra benefits in the first two?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dom462
I currently don’t have status, but I’m planning a run/short trip when my new membership year begins in January to get it. The main benefit I am after is saving on seat selection fees for family trips a couple of times a year. I'm not fussy on seats (just want to sit together) so bronze would do me, but would appreciate silver.

Currently thinking of two strategies:
• A run for silver status to get nearly two years of silver, plus one year of soft landing to bronze.
• A run for bronze to get nearly two years of bronze.

Just wondering what other people’s bronze/silver strategies are? Is it worth pushing on for silver for the extra year and extra benefits in the first two?
Silver provides much more benefit than Bronze, namely lounge access. However if you will always travel with more than one person without status that may be less of a benefit.

Silver is easily achievable with an ex-EU TATL trip to the west coast or QR sales fare for example for around £1k. It would be difficult to get 300 TP's for much less, so I think Silver would be better to aim for.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by nux
Silver provides much more benefit than Bronze, namely lounge access. However if you will always travel with more than one person without status that may be less of a benefit.
Lounge access on this would rarely be used as i'll mostly be in CW/CE anyway or travelling with more than one non-status member. Main benefits would be extra year of status and seat reservation on booking.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:05 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dom462
Lounge access on this would rarely be used as i'll mostly be in CW/CE anyway or travelling with more than one non-status member. Main benefits would be extra year of status and seat reservation on booking.
If you normally travel in CW/CE anyway then you should reach Bronze quite easily within a few trips you're planning to take anyway. Is it really worth spending ~£500+ on additional travel to get seat selection 7 days before the flight rather than at OLCI for the first few flights? You may well be better off using the money instead to pay for advanced seat selection until you naturally reach Bronze.

The other point is that the cheapest way to earn TP's is ex-EU which generally earns 600+ TP's. The delta between earning 300 TP's and 600 TP's through a TP run is usually quite small or negative.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by nux
If you normally travel in CW/CE anyway then you should reach Bronze quite easily within a few trips you're planning to take anyway. Is it really worth spending ~£500+ on additional travel to get seat selection 7 days before the flight rather than at OLCI for the first few flights? You may well be better off using the money instead to pay for advanced seat selection until you naturally reach Bronze.

The other point is that the cheapest way to earn TP's is ex-EU which generally earns 600+ TP's. The delta between earning 300 TP's and 600 TP's through a TP run is usually quite small or negative.
CW/CE would mostly be reward flights, paid for flights are usually economy or PE.
My thinking is that £55 x 2 legs x 4 people = £440 for seat selection, which is equivalent to the cost of a run and a run would possibly cover me for more than one trip.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I don't know how relevant this is to anyone here, but the RBC Rewards mall in Canada offers 40 bonus points per CAD spent on O&O computing products... given their usefulness aside, with the reoccurring 1.5x transfer bonus to avios, in USD, that's

100CAD=4100 RBC points = 6150 Avios = 76USD

so, 76/4100 = 1.85cpm that you're essentially buying avios at. Much better than the website, for anyone that needs to buy some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.