Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Any idea when this guide is going to be updated?

Hopelessly out of date
We appreciate you volunteering like that

What improvements would you suggest?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Just message the mods with any updates. They will apply them quite quickly. Get writing!!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Quick question, as the folk here are much quicker than the AA forum.

Would I be able to cancel a booking made on aa.com if a flight was cancelled in the itinerary? I have been rebooked on another flight at a similar time, but it's a different flight number. The trip starts and finishes at TXL, so I assume it was issued from AA in Germany. I know with bookings made through ba.com it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure about American Airlines.

thanks for any info
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Any idea when this guide is going to be updated?

Hopelessly out of date
What exactly have you noticed that is out of date? Looking at the individual posts it appears that Prospero made updates this year.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by headingwest
Quick question, as the folk here are much quicker than the AA forum.

Would I be able to cancel a booking made on aa.com if a flight was cancelled in the itinerary? I have been rebooked on another flight at a similar time, but it's a different flight number. The trip starts and finishes at TXL, so I assume it was issued from AA in Germany. I know with bookings made through ba.com it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure about American Airlines.

thanks for any info
Shouldn't be a problem. AA (I have found) are quite reasonable. You'll have to call though
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Basic stuff like the membership tiers? It still says you receive 100% bonus avios as a Silver member on all flights and also in Gold it says that you can achieve GGL with 2 yrs x 3,000 TP. That's no longer the case.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You probably have a bronze card coming. When did you pass 600 TPs? It typically takes a few days after the necessary TPs post for your status to
be upgraded on the website and then some time after that for the silver package to be ordered and 6 - 8 weeks after you have requalified for it to be received.
You should be able to look under your account and see if bronze is pending or fulfilled(sent) and similarly after the website catches up to your new silver status.
See this thread (among others):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-card-5.html
Not in any rush, my next travel is September 4th.
I'm showing "Bronze Card fulfilled June 14th", though I haven't received it yet as of today (July 17th).

I moved past 600 TPs and the 4 BA flights on July 4th (credited July 8th).
Status not showing Silver online yet either. "Silver Card Expiry July 31st". l am not that concerned that it will happen eventurally,, just seems to be taking longer than those with experience have mentioned.

Is this just a manual thing? Just good to know if I should or shouldn't do anything. What time frame before I call?
Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:26 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Trying to get my head around whether O fare class AA tickets between North America and South America do or do not earn TPs and Avios

I am going to be well past qualifying for Gold by the time this arises, so it is mainly out of curiosity, but I have CPH-LHR-MIA-BOG on an AA ticket with CPH-LHR-MIA operated by BA and MIA BOG operated by AA. As such it is in my BA account. I am just trying to get my head around what I am going to earn mainly to understand it.

All are in O fare class

Tier Points first.

CPH LHR is 5TPs
LHR MIA is 20TP

My BA account is saying I will get 30TPs, so I am getting 5 for MIA BOG too?

Secondly Avios

CPH LHR is 609 miles x 25% is 152 Avios
LHR MIA is 4422 miles x 25% is 1106 Avios

Total 1258 Avios

BA account says I will earn 1634 Avios for this itinerary

This can maybe be explained because

1634-1258=376
376=1504 x 25%
1504 is near as damn it the distance between MIA and BOG

So is the BA account right or are my calculations right? I am keen to know because if they earn nothing on BA then I will throw the BOG MIA segment into AA to keep that account alive. Last night I was ever so slightly excited when an economy booking on AA booked into Q for the same price as O but if the BA account is right then this doesn't matter.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
MIA-BOG is 1500 miles on lowest-class economy, so 5 TP, yes

if you have Gold, you get a 100% avios bonus, so you get

609*0.25*2 = 305
4422*0.5 = 2211
1507*0.5 = 753

Total: 3269 Avios

Or, without Gold calculated in, 1634 avios.

The avios AND TP earn rate for AA and BA is exactly the same for economy-pricing. So doesn't really matter whether it's an AA or BA flight between MIA and BOG.

EDIT: For reference, for AA miles, you'd earn the exact same between AA and BA flights as well at that category (O)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:49 pm

I mentioned that the itinerary has a couple of BA flights in it to explain how come it is in my BA account, it has a BA PNR. I understand that they earn the same

However, my doubt was that O fare classes between North and Latin America do not earn anything at all according to the AA earning chart on BA and in the tier points chart in this thread in post #5

I just went back to BA and checked that earnings chart again and I see that the O fare class restriction on AA between North and Latin America has disappeared.

Perhaps the comment in the chart can be updated next time it gets a refresh. This O fare restriction between North and Latin America has literally just disappeared within the last couple of weeks.

One additional question since Smiley90 was kind enough to calculate my Gold bonus. I presumed originally that it would be 100% of Avios earned. I was then told that it was 100% of miles flown, Smiley90 has now worked this out as 100% of Avios earned. Which is it?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I mentioned that the itinerary has a couple of BA flights in it to explain how come it is in my BA account, it has a BA PNR. I understand that they earn the same

However, my doubt was that O fare classes between North and Latin America do not earn anything at all according to the AA earning chart on BA and in the tier points chart in this thread in post #5

I just went back to BA and checked that earnings chart again and I see that the O fare class restriction on AA between North and Latin America has disappeared.

Perhaps the comment in the chart can be updated next time it gets a refresh. This O fare restriction between North and Latin America has literally just disappeared within the last couple of weeks.

One additional question since Smiley90 was kind enough to calculate my Gold bonus. I presumed originally that it would be 100% of Avios earned. I was then told that it was 100% of miles flown, Smiley90 has now worked this out as 100% of Avios earned. Which is it?
That's the same thing... Miles flown x class modifier x status modifier

e.g.

4000 miles * 0.25 (O) * 2 (gold)

or am I misunderstanding your question?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
That's the same thing... Miles flown x class modifier x status modifier

e.g.

or am I misunderstanding your question?
Yes, I presumed when joining BAEC that it would be

But I was told on here that it is actually

4000 miles * 0.25 (O) +4000 (gold)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I presumed when joining BAEC that it would be

But I was told on here that it is actually

4000 miles * 0.25 (O) +4000 (gold)
the guy might've misunderstood you and said (4000 miles + 4000 miles) *0.25 and/or was ignoring the class modifier
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
the guy might've misunderstood you and said (4000 miles + 4000 miles) *0.25 and/or was ignoring the class modifier
Ii just found it, it was esteemed forum ambassador Calchas himself and there is no indication that there was any misunderstanding

He was actually confirming what the BA Avios calculator had told me

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24949472-post302.html
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ii just found it, it was esteemed forum ambassador Calchas himself and there is no indication that there was any misunderstanding

He was actually confirming what the BA Avios calculator had told me

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24949472-post302.html
I take back what I said, his word over mine. I think I got confused by the fact that Economy Lowest in AA is the 50% band which gave me wrong Avios numbers as well. Apologies. The fact that JFK-LHR on BA Gold gives you 3450miles*0.25+3450=4312 avios and not (3450+3450)*0.25=1725 avios confirms that.

So you should be earning
609*0.25+609 = 761
4422*0.25+4422= 5527
1507*0.25+1507 = 1884

Total: 8172 Avios

I think the initial problem on whether O fares on AA earn avios, tp and tier bonuses could've been solved by a quick look on the executive club page as well, though (http://www.britishairways.com/en-ca/...-avios/flights)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.