Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Proving that you'd rather save a few pennies on the flight cost than have a nice terminal experience
Nope. My company pays for my work flights. If it was me paying then I'd go with BA unless the price difference was crazy.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
LHR looks like a shopping mall, with some fairly well-hidden runways.
I just looked up some numbers. MUC T2 is actually running about 10% over design capacity.

Doesn't feel like it
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Proving that you'd rather save a few pennies on the flight cost than have a nice terminal experience
Wise travellers use BA for LHR-MUC but LH for MUC-LHR, that way you get a nice departure terminal on both sectors ^

Having said that, I was in the LH J lounge in LHR T2 last week and it's perfectly good enough (although it feels like a clone of the lounges in FRA). Not crowded, and the chicken curry was excellent, as were the puddings. No, there wasn't any Champagne, and no, I don't care!

For those opting to fly *A out of LHR, T1 was always the ugly sister compared to T5, but T2 changes that.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
I just looked up some numbers. MUC T2 is actually running about 10% over design capacity.

Doesn't feel like it
Quite. They're working hard on that satellite though!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:03 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
LHR looks like a shopping mall, with some fairly well-hidden runways.

Doesn't feel like it
T5 is running at 30m actual (2013) v 35m design?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by matthandy
You'd have thought so wouldn't you? If passengers stop flying from T5 because of the queues then this directly impacts revenues for BA and arguably, for HAL too.

But we are dealing with monopolies here. Where would BA go if it wasn't Heathrow?

I support the idea of some sort of rebate for BA if queues are not within agreed limits.
I cannot disagree with you on the monopoly part. Unless BA see a drop in passengers numbers from T5 and are able to attribute it to the 'passenger experience', then there's probably only so much push back that BA will undertake against HAL. Still, BA seems to improved operations out of LGW over the last couple of years.

I'm sure over the years we have all heard disgruntled passengers at T5 blame BA for the problems when in fact they are HAL's, or as I used to say, "Not BA but add another 'A' (when it was BAA)." Surely this sort of thing is bad for the brand.

H
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
I went through South "fast" track on Sun morning at about 8am prior to my flight to HND and it was quite bad then too.

T5 security is just not good enough and frankly it means whoever has management responsibility over it should get the sack, with the successor being told quite clearly they'll be out promptly too unless they get their act together.

Not being able to get the staff? Don't make me laugh - in a city the size of London? It is perfectly possible to get decent and motivate people and replace those not doing the job properly with someone who will.

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
I love that the little people infographic on the pillar show a 5-megaqueue at North and a tiny weeny 2-queue at South: that's a bit more than a 2-queue!
Yes, it was like this too on Sun, and not the first time either. If the graphic is going to be plainly wrong, better not to have it at all IMO.

Originally Posted by bealine
What choice does British Airways have? We got to have our terminal, but we can't exactly threaten HAL to move out and take our business to Redhill, Northolt or Shoreham!
Well, I would hope some of the expensive lawyers BA has would make sure there are contract provisions to claw back money from HAL over bad performance, sue them or undertake whatever other form of harassing HAL to keep the pressure on. I suspect it's in the short term easier to be meek about it instead which is why HAL gets away with it.

BA could make more hay of using PR outreach to lay the blame where it belongs if they are not responsible.

Originally Posted by bealine
Privatising the airports was the worst thing ever, next to privatising RailTrack. How can anything where there is a monopoly ever be truly competitive?
I agree with you on both of those points, but this is no reason to throw in the towel IMHO.

Originally Posted by Calchas
But it isn't unique. MAD T4 fast track is also very good.
I like MAD T4 very much in most respects and fast track there works generally really well, but their baggage handling has been invariably dreadful, painfully slow. I'm actively avoiding MAD as much as I can over this, they've lost out on my custom several times for no other reason than the painfully slow baggage arrival.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
I
T5 security is just not good enough and frankly it means whoever has management responsibility over it should get the sack, with the successor being told quite clearly they'll be out promptly too unless they get their act together.

Not being able to get the staff? Don't make me laugh - in a city the size of London? It is perfectly possible to get decent and motivate people and replace those not doing the job properly with someone who will.
And who is going to commute out of The Big City to LHR to do the job for a low wage? The problem, having lived near LHR for far too many years, is that the local demographic is [a] limited, in term of job-seekers, [b] ethically diverse, and [c] generally CBA.

Sorry if that's seen as playing hardball, but the realistic recruitment pool is Slough, Uxbridge, West Drayton, Hayes etc.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNManInKen
Well, I would hope some of the expensive lawyers BA has would make sure there are contract provisions to claw back money from HAL over bad performance, sue them or undertake whatever other form of harassing HAL to keep the pressure on. I suspect it's in the short term easier to be meek about it instead which is why HAL gets away with it.
However much you pay your lawyers, they still cannot fundamentally change your basic bargaining power anymore than, however much you pay your meteorologists, they cannot alter the weather. The problem for an airline like BA negotiating with HAL is that BA cannot realistically threaten to leave LHR if the terms that HAL are offering do not suit them. Now, there surely is room for negotiations on a lot of things and you can up to a point create incentive structures into contracts based on performance but the notion that BA, just because it is HAL's largest customer, can more or less impose its will on HAL and dictate whatever terms it wants with respect to performance standards strikes me as rather unrealistic.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In which case, agreeing with you completely, the only credible leverage is through the bloody Media ... who will tell HAL they run possibly the worst major airport in Europe. Whether they care, when the Shopping Mall generates money, is a different question, but they should be shamed in public for running [or not] a shambles of the UK's flagship airport.
Am I wrong?
Do they have shareholders too?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe the owners are fined if they fail to meet certain targets regarding wait times at security.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Wise travellers use BA for LHR-MUC but LH for MUC-LHR, that way you get a nice departure terminal on both sectors ^

Having said that, I was in the LH J lounge in LHR T2 last week and it's perfectly good enough (although it feels like a clone of the lounges in FRA). Not crowded, and the chicken curry was excellent, as were the puddings. No, there wasn't any Champagne, and no, I don't care!

For those opting to fly *A out of LHR, T1 was always the ugly sister compared to T5, but T2 changes that.
There's a decent choice of lounges that a *G can use in T2, and unlike T5 there's a couple of decent Priority Pass options too.

So I'd say the advantage on the airport side of things no longer goes to BA at LHR (T2 is also closer to Central London). I'd still say that on-board I'd prefer BA.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I believe the owners are fined if they fail to meet certain targets regarding wait times at security.
How's that going?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: ABBA
How's that going?
The invisible hand fixes all.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by layz
There's a decent choice of lounges that a *G can use in T2, and unlike T5 there's a couple of decent Priority Pass options too.

So I'd say the advantage on the airport side of things no longer goes to BA at LHR (T2 is also closer to Central London). I'd still say that on-board I'd prefer BA.
I haven't looked at *A fir a few years since LH made life very difficult to accrue SEN on normal travel patterns.

However for shorthaul I am now actively considering a *G status match to avoid new BA shorthaul and benefit from direct flights from MAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.