Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:11 am

Surely the cause is as much the tightening of hold baggage (charging) and negative perception of the timeliness and likelihood of hold bags appearing on the carousel?
Apart from the trouble affecting the first few days, that was never an issue in T5.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Polomarc
^
Not a FF and I guess the few times we have been in T5 we have been lucky. I recall T4 a few years ago used to be this bad.
I dont tweet, but have done so now with this image (hope the owner of the image is OK with this). It will not achieve anything, but it may prepare others for the possible delays at T5.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Looks like a typical day at Stansted... But Fast Track?...Heathrow?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bealine
That is not a design flaw. When T5 was designed, cabin baggage was restricted to a maximum of 6 kg economy, 9 kg Club and First class were allowed 2 pieces at up to 9 kg each.
Even if this is the case, to me this screams major design flaw: designing systems in a terminal on the assumption that baggage policies (or, for that matter, other policies) are set in stone and will not vary for the rest of the lifetime of the terminal strikes me as a patently flawed design. Good design implies ability to adapt to changing circumstances.

British Airways' relaxation of the cabin baggage allowance has created this problem as well as the nightmare we have trying to get a full A319, A320 or B767 away on time. On a recent Warsaw flight, I had to get 30 bags tagged up and put in the hold before we could close the door, costing us a 12 minute penalty and the aircraft losing its slot.
IMO, this is a very poor excuse. Many airlines around the world with hand baggage policies comparable to BA manage to send flights on time. Now, it may well be that BA processes are too poor and inefficient to cope. But, if that is so, then the problem is with the processes themselves.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by The scotsman
Everyone should be recording their satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the wee machines with the various smiley faces . We went through security last Friday without too much problem, busy and unbelievably inefficient but no huge problems.
When it's so easy to make feedback I think it makes sense to use it even if you think they ignore it. I encourage people to use the feedback iPads in the lounges for the same reason.

I've been lucky recently and most times have been able to press the happy or slightly happy smiley.

When things have been really bad I've sent an email to customer relations for Heathrow Rewards (based on the fact HAL relies of retail revenue) on my iPhone while waiting in line detailing which lane I'm in, what is holding the line up, etc. I then mention how the hold up has mean I had no time to do the shopping I was wanting to do. Reduced takings in the shops is something that'd make HAL take notice.

If you're not a Heathrow Rewards member or have spent so little at Heathrow that they'd not care then an email to their general customer relations department while waiting in the queue may be a good idea, either than or a Tweet including both LHR and BA
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Surely the cause is as much the tightening of hold baggage (charging) and negative perception of the timeliness and likelihood of hold bags appearing on the carousel?
CWS convinced me to go HBO as much as possible as it does save a lot of time for frequent travellers. However I do believe a lot of people are happy to drop their bags off and only don't do so as they'd like to save a few quid (even before the HBO fare some people used to LCCs may have just assumed there was a bag charge).

If I had no lounge access and had to occupy myself in the public areas of the airport I wouldn't like to be hand baggage only. The lounge gives you somewhere safe to leave them, no such facility exists for those without lounge access. If you're travelling alone do you really want to take your luggage to the toilet with you or walk around the shops with it or next to you on the floor in a restaurant?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Mattyb44
I dont tweet, but have done so now with this image (hope the owner of the image is OK with this). It will not achieve anything, but it may prepare others for the possible delays at T5.
You should post a link to the tweet so others can retweet it.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

The point above that T5 is worse than any other terminal is well made. There is something seriously funny going on with the security staff and the pace at which they work. It's regularly said that they look like they are on a go slow. Everything is done at a snails pace, with lots of needless pauses. I'd love to know what's going on, as it isn't the case at T1 (or indeed at nearly every other airport I've been through, some in countries where the stereotypes would have you believe the go-slow is endemic).
Could not agree more. Last time through the whole thing came to a halt. Even the staff member at the front looked around at the guy doing the scanning. He just laughed,rubbed his eyes, said he was tired and turned away from the x-ray machine for a couple of minutes while everybody just stood there.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's a pity that T5 can close down like LCY for a few weekends coming up, from lunchtime Saturday through to lunchtime Sunday. The overnight work (which is shown by the white boards in the photo above, which has moved Fast Track northwards by 5 - 10 metres) can only take place between 23 hrs and 4 hrs, and that just stretches it out. Apparently we will all love the new South Fast Track FCC when it is complete, and will reduce the pressure on North somewhat, but it's an omelette/egg break in the mean time. It wasn't this bad yesterday afternoon.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by layz
If I had no lounge access and had to occupy myself in the public areas of the airport I wouldn't like to be hand baggage only. The lounge gives you somewhere safe to leave them, no such facility exists for those without lounge access. If you're travelling alone do you really want to take your luggage to the toilet with you or walk around the shops with it or next to you on the floor in a restaurant?
Er, this is me most of the time. In fact, this is me in an hour or so, off to Brussels this afternoon with my HBO wheely case. I don't do shopping so will be sat in Espresso with a book. Not for long though, this time next week will make the dizzy heights (for me) of Silver BAEC so will be in the lounges next year.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by layz
You should post a link to the tweet so others can retweet it.
Could this be the link?

https://twitter.com/mattybennion/sta...210050/photo/1
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:49 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

Apart from the trouble affecting the first few days, that was never an issue in T5.
There was a widespread failure to load bags within the last week! It happens a couple of times a year at least.

And on Sunday, whilst ostensibly a normal day, I got my bags 50 mins after on stand. This isn't an outlier IMO, par for the course.

Don't underestimate the negative hold baggage perception BA/LHR has out there (whether real or perceived).
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: BA
I never see people working so slow like in London Heathrow ... not even in America they are so slow. I hate it everytime there. And the Fasttrack is after the scanning Point a Joke.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
What choice does British Airways have? We got to have our terminal, but we can't exactly threaten HAL to move out and take our business to Redhill, Northolt or Shoreham!
I would have thought that BA would have considerable influence over HAL as it is the only airline being serviced at T5

H
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mattyb44
"We're sorry for the queues Matt. Sadly, the staffing of security personnel is not within our control I'm afraid. ^Gareth"

What a surprise reply...!

ETA: or was this the original tweet?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
The security staff don't really seem interested in very much apart from chatting to each other and shouting at pax who disobey the "rules".
I have to say that this is my experience and I go through at least once every week and have done for the past 6 months. The staff are often busy chatting away to each other like they are at school, passengers are pretty much ignored in some cases. You do get some very nice security staff though, but they aren't common.

What I don't understand is the desk near fast track against the glass barrier. That always seems to be full of people doing nothing. I've no idea what their role is.

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
The poor design of the tray system is definitely a contributory factor. There simply isn't enough space on the conveyors before or after the scanner for the average (non-FF) to sort out his/her things without holding up the line.
Frankly T5 is blissful compared to MUC T2. At least at T5 there is a staff member who is able to take a tray aside to search the bag so as not to hold everyone else up. In MUC they just stop everything including the line for the archways too. Everyone just has to stand around whilst the staff member deals with the bag. It has to be the most frustrating security experience that I have to deal with on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by flatlander
Even on a good day the LHR T5 security work really slowly. They walk slowly, they move the security trays slowly, they scan the bags slowly in the bag scanner, they are just slow, slow, slow. They are all uniformly slow.
Based on my experiences in MUC I have to disagree with this. I find that the staff manning T5 fast track work faster and the passengers are a lot more prepared. The thing at MUC is that there is no boarding pass check before you reach security, the staff with the trays do this but it's not obvious that you need to have your BP checked. Often people have to rummage around in their bags to retrieve their BP which takes even longer. Additionally, T5 at least allows mixed items in the trays. At MUC it seems like everything has to go in it's own special tray. It is truly maddening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.