Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
"We're sorry for the queues Matt. Sadly, the staffing of security personnel is not within our control I'm afraid. ^Gareth"

What a surprise reply...!

ETA: or was this the original tweet?
Seems somebody else grabbed the picture too.

But the excuse of having no control over security staffing is laughable.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
I faced long waits at security on Saturday (North) and Monday (South) mornings, abandoning fast track both times (well fast track at North just merged with the general queue immediately after the barriers). I watched the security officers monitoring the x-ray displays and they seemed to look at each bag for ages. I assumed that heightened security meant there was a minimum time they needed to look at each image, which would explain why everyone else is going so slowly, in order to not highlight the weak link in the chain. On Monday morning, the queue of bags for secondary screening at my scanner was backed up to the top of the conveyor, so the whole operation had to stop while that was reduced. I took the unusual step of checking a bag to minimise the chances of being offloaded.

One thing which might get you through quicker is to book a wheelchair, as they skip the queues, but of course they will just take you to the lounge and then abandon you there to miss your flight.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zappingtv
I never see people working so slow like in London Heathrow ... not even in America they are so slow. I hate it everytime there. And the Fasttrack is after the scanning Point a Joke.
I wonder if hiring/keeping staff is the problem?

I can imagine working at your local Tesco check out is much more rewarding than a LHR security check full of crabbit passengers.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoch
I would have thought that BA would have considerable influence over HAL as it is the only airline being serviced at T5
You'd have thought so wouldn't you? If passengers stop flying from T5 because of the queues then this directly impacts revenues for BA and arguably, for HAL too.

But we are dealing with monopolies here. Where would BA go if it wasn't Heathrow?

I support the idea of some sort of rebate for BA if queues are not within agreed limits.

Originally Posted by mgiarc
I assumed that heightened security meant there was a minimum time they needed to look at each image, which would explain why everyone else is going so slowly, in order to not highlight the weak link in the chain.
Perhaps this is the reason. If so, it would be nice if this was communicated to the passengers wouldn't it? When there have been extra security measures in place there has been notice given to passengers to allow for extra time. Why not this time?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by matthandy
I support the idea of some sort of rebate for BA if queues are not within agreed limits.
We know HAL has tried to cheat on the metrics before - shovelling pax from one queue to another, and also because the measurement of "the time to get through security" is also poorly-defined: you'd expect it to be from the moment you join the queue until the moment you retrive your bag from the belt and walk away, right? Hahahahaha....

Perhaps this is the reason. If so, it would be nice if this was communicated to the passengers wouldn't it? When there have been extra security measures in place there has been notice given to passengers to allow for extra time. Why not this time?
It suits the airport operator just fine for security screening to be unpredictable, because then pax are forced to allow more time, which means more time for a bit of retail after finally clearning security, and if there is one thing HAL really really cares about, it's retail.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I wonder if hiring/keeping staff is the problem?

I can imagine working at your local Tesco check out is much more rewarding than a LHR security check full of crabbit passengers.
The front staff used to be temp agent (not sure if they still are). The screening staff are permanent I think.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Frankly T5 is blissful compared to MUC T2.
MUC has airbräu which makes up for any other failings
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
The poor design of the tray system is definitely a contributory factor. There simply isn't enough space on the conveyors before or after the scanner for the average (non-FF) to sort out his/her things without holding up the line.
The idea is that you take your tray to a separate bench area. Very few do this.

Originally Posted by bealine
That is not a design flaw. When T5 was designed, cabin baggage was restricted to a maximum of 6 kg economy, 9 kg Club and First class were allowed 2 pieces at up to 9 kg each.
Irrelevant. My bag yesterday was tiny, 13" by 10", however consisted of 3 laptops and an ipad (and 2 power supplies, and that's it), weighing about 5kg.

Since T5 was designed I now have to
* Remove my belt (and thus put it back on)
* remove my ipad and laptops
* remove my watch
* wait for the random swabbing

At least we don't have the silly shoe rule any more.

British Airways' relaxation of the cabin baggage allowance has created this problem as well as the nightmare we have trying to get a full A319, A320 or B767 away on time. On a recent Warsaw flight, I had to get 30 bags tagged up and put in the hold before we could close the door, costing us a 12 minute penalty and the aircraft losing its slot.
Yes, you should be allowed large hand luggage (more than now), but you should have to pay for it. If it's that important (delicate etc), book a pricey "HBO" fare for say £30 more than the normal fare. Everyone gets a personal item under the seat in front, overheads are kept for those that pay.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
Where would BA go if it wasn't Heathrow?
If T5 wasn't so new I would have said: built it at Gatwick and make LGW the Oneworld Hub.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:26 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Don't we? They have the random fake metal detector alert set so high, that you might as well remove your shoes.
Try taking your shoes off without being asked, that really annoys them
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by flatlander
Even on a good day the LHR T5 security work really slowly. They walk slowly, they move the security trays slowly, they scan the bags slowly in the bag scanner, they are just slow, slow, slow. They are all uniformly slow.
Pretty much every other airport I go through has staff moving faster: Stansted, Amsterdam, Chicago, San Francisco, Copenhagen, Dallas-Fort Worth, are only a few that come to mind from recent travel.
I don't know their thoughts or any other circumstances, but their behaviour seems to exactly match that of someone who is trying to do their job as slowly as possible, acting as if they want to do as little as possible in the time they are being paid to be at work.
I concur, they do simply seem, less efficient, polite and friendly than pretty much any airport I can remember visiting lately

There does seem to be some endemic attitude issue normally, but not exclusively, resultant of personnel management problems (in my admittedly limited experience)

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Nov 4, 2014 at 6:41 am Reason: that to than
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if HAL has a senior manager in charge of operations in terminal 5?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Polomarc
The front staff used to be temp agent (not sure if they still are). The screening staff are permanent I think.
Problem with staffing at LHR is I suspect they don't have a large pool of labour to recruit from.
The profile of GLA security staff is completely different from those at LHR for instance and it shows. That's probably down to having a larger pool of applicants to choose from as well as a much smaller turnover of staff.
Not that I've ever had a bad experience at LHR during my non frequent visits....apart from the first time at T5 when some student types on summer working vacation shouted orders at me.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:44 am

Things have improved at present - from bag drop to galleries south via fast track took me ten mins. Possibly a record for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.