Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by philthegreek
Sorry to contradict but it is my experience that you have to throw it out at US airports if you have not decanted the amenities into a plastic bag. It has always been an issue at US airports and one that many carriers warn about for transiting passengers
Sorry to contradict but today you can leave all your liquids inside your baggage at US airports (as well as your tablets), only PC's have to be removed from the hand baggage , however you have to remove your shoes (unless you have TSA pre check, then you do not remove anything and you keep jacket and shoes on).
Completely inconsistent with the policy at LHR but no surprise, these US guys drive the wrong side of the road.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chasingtheblue
I've been challenged (at LHR) when using a zipped transparent washbag, as the zip doesn't provide a full seal. (I don't do that any more).
That's happened to me at Heathrow before, only the once though - I use the zip bag from Muji. Think it was an over officious person on the day, have used it hundreds of times in Heathrow and other airports and only ever had that one issue
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by vibguy
Sorry to contradict but today you can leave all your liquids inside your baggage at US airports (as well as your tablets), only PC's have to be removed from the hand baggage , however you have to remove your shoes (unless you have TSA pre check, then you do not remove anything and you keep jacket and shoes on).
Completely inconsistent with the policy at LHR but no surprise, these US guys drive the wrong side of the road.
The TSA were demanding that liquids be removed from baggage on Sunday.

Those with TSA pre-check can leave them in their bags.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Aliksander
I never bother with the clear plastic bags - frankly I dont see the point of this rule. I've never once been challenged on this.
Not sure how often you go travelling then! You certainly won't get away with that in LHR very often. When I see who gets pulled over for secondaries it is overwhelmingly for liquids in bags, and very often you hear "but we don't have to do this in X" (where X is increasingly the USA PreCheck or India). This is despite over 1,700 signs in LHR telling people to remove their liquids into sealable bags, plus all the verbal notifications. And it's not just UK. In fact all of the EU is supposedly on the same policy here, that all liquids are in bags and are presented separately from the rest of scanning, but in reality most countries have a laisser faire approach. In France, Belgium and to some extent AMS you best present the bag separately, AMS has a zero tolerance policy, they are prepared to dispose of all your liquids if there is evidence of you being underhand.

Despite the premise presented by danger, in my experience the UK's scanning process, for all its faults, is quite consistent. If you take out laptops, anything bigger than a Kindle, liquids, anything that looks like a liquid container, and larger packs of wires the only Secondaries you are going to get is the very quick random vapour test on the liquids. In the last 3 years I have not had a single Secondary in the UK except for the DoT mandated random vapour test, and that is off a lot of travel.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 7, 2016 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
That's happened to me at Heathrow before, only the once though - I use the zip bag from Muji. Think it was an over officious person on the day, have used it hundreds of times in Heathrow and other airports and only ever had that one issue
The UK rules require a bag with an air seal so that they can sniff it for vapours if they want to. Though I did go through a few times with a Ziploc bag with a hole in before I noticed.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vibguy
Originally Posted by HilFly
The TSA were demanding that liquids be removed from baggage on Sunday.

Those with TSA pre-check can leave them in their bags.
Without wishing to stray too far OT there are different rules at different airports in the US, depending on what equipment they have installed. For example at SEA the only difference between TSA-Pre and regular passengers is that you can keep your shoes on: "put everything in your bag, take nothing out".
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Sitting in the BA lounge in T5 now, 3rd time in and out of London this week. I've been in and out of LHR dozens, maybe 100 times over the last decade, I've never once put my toiletries in a plastic bag let alone pulled them out. I don't do this anywhere, and in all of my travels i have had liquids pulled for a rescan maybe twice. But never at LHR...

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not sure how often you go travelling then! You certainly won't get away with that in LHR very often.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by stephem
Sitting in the BA lounge in T5 now, 3rd time in and out of London this week. I've been in and out of LHR dozens, maybe 100 times over the last decade, I've never once put my toiletries in a plastic bag let alone pulled them out. I don't do this anywhere, and in all of my travels i have had liquids pulled for a rescan maybe twice. But never at LHR...
They should be catching that and putting your bag on to the naughty belt for complete unpacking and checking. You have been lucky, in fact I think you have taken my luck too!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having consulted Management here, it appears that we have regularly gone through Security in both UK and US airports with l/h amenity kits in our carry-ons without even thinking about the liquids rule!! I am advised that she doesn't usually bother to take the BA ones now, but the fact remains we have never even considered that aspect.

OK, most of our US connections have been with TSAPre✓ in recent times ... but we must have gone through LGW [on the way home] many times as 'naughty people'.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
I have the complete opposite experience. It never ceased to amaze me the amount of ppl getting flagged for liquids at LHR even 500ml bottles of water. Sometimes, I forget the occasional small tube or liquid and they let it pass. But once you get flagged, its a long wait for security to open the bag for the world to see what you have in there.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:38 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I often leave liquids in my bag and have never been caught out for toiletries. The occasional forgotten water bottle/diet coke can, yes. But nothing small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.