Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
I love that the little people infographic on the pillar show a 5-megaqueue at North and a tiny weeny 2-queue at South: that's a bit more than a 2-queue!
Yeah, I spotted that too.

My last time at T5 the display near North Security was showing 3-3 while the one at South Security was showing 5-2 at the same time.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
(...) the security staff don't seem interested in (...)
The security staff don't really seem interested in very much apart from chatting to each other and shouting at pax who disobey the "rules".
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:18 am

I have to say we flew from T2 Friday afternoon a couple of weeks ago and there was literally no queue - it took me 2 minutes and that was because they decided to frisk me! If they can get it sorted with HAL why cant BA???
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If you pile up a dozen trays as you pass the scanner, it will speed things up a little for the crowds behind you, as the security staff don't seem interested in doing this.
Agree completely - sadly overall situational awareness in't a characteristic that comes to the fore when pax just want to grab their stuff and get away.

T5 is setting new standards for TSA to aspire to.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:23 am
Original Poster

So is the consensus that connecting Premium Pax should use FCC after all? Fast track up the escalators and the battle the zoo to get to the X-ray machines.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's like Zone R on a Monday morning used to be.
... and what was the mantra at the time? Let me think... oh, yes! it will all get sorted when T5 opens...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Petrus
So is the consensus that connecting Premium Pax should use FCC after all? Fast track up the escalators and the battle the zoo to get to the X-ray machines.
That has always been the position, I believe, if only to avoid an unnecessary passport queue. It was/is International to Domestic who had a different roll of the dice.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I assume the security staff were all wandering around aimlessly like the land of the dead. Every manager at t5 with responsibility for this should be fired, it is always a head shaking experience watching the staff putting in minimal effort into their job. And i dont buy its a mundane low paid job so what can we expect; if the employees cant be bothered doing their part to improve matters by actually trying, kick them out and replace them with people that will give a toss. Reminds me of a significant number of people in the civil service in cayman. Turn up if you can be bothered, zombie through the day, get paid, go home. Time we started a protest at security demanding better. The next do will be at security, you'll all be required to sit on the floor and refuse to budge. Risk of arrest, but at least you might get a free cup of tea in the slammer.

And yes i feel better now. Not a lot annoys me when i travel, but t5 security does. I prefer miami over t5 and that is saying something.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:27 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

No amount of glass, shiny steel and LCDs screens will disguise the emperor's clothes-fest that is T5.

The point above that T5 is worse than any other terminal is well made. There is something seriously funny going on with the security staff and the pace at which they work. It's regularly said that they look like they are on a go slow. Everything is done at a snails pace, with lots of needless pauses. I'd love to know what's going on, as it isn't the case at T1 (or indeed at nearly every other airport I've been through, some in countries where the stereotypes would have you believe the go-slow is endemic).
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by NickB
... and what was the mantra at the time? Let me think... oh, yes! it will all get sorted when T5 opens...
Remember the pre-opening tours of T5 - "it is all designed so there will never be a queue".
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by AllActionBarbie
I have to say we flew from T2 Friday afternoon a couple of weeks ago and there was literally no queue - it took me 2 minutes and that was because they decided to frisk me! If they can get it sorted with HAL why cant BA???
Yup, same last night. Nice and calm, and no slalom to get to the (EI) lounge.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:31 am

It was exactly the same going through T4 2 weeks ago. About 50% of bags were being side tracked for hand searching.

In the end I complained to the duty person in charge but made little different.

You can't say anything to the operatives or you will just get the 'we don't have to put up with abuse from people like you' line.

If this happened in Africa people would just laugh and describe it as third world. Which is what Heathrow really is these days. A dump to be avoided wherever possible.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Think I had better get to T5 earlier than planned today then in case there are queues, then on to the bar for a G&T methinks!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
I love that the little people infographic on the pillar show a 5-megaqueue at North and a tiny weeny 2-queue at South: that's a bit more than a 2-queue!
I always thought that was painted on. I swear I've never noticed them as being anything different!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

No amount of glass, shiny steel and LCDs screens will disguise the emperor's clothes-fest that is T5.

The point above that T5 is worse than any other terminal is well made. There is something seriously funny going on with the security staff and the pace at which they work. It's regularly said that they look like they are on a go slow. Everything is done at a snails pace, with lots of needless pauses. I'd love to know what's going on, as it isn't the case at T1 (or indeed at nearly every other airport I've been through, some in countries where the stereotypes would have you believe the go-slow is endemic).
Having witnessed a 10 minute shift-change of the scanner person this morning, I have to conclude that is exactly what is going on.

Scanner man got up and disappeared. Trays already full on the conveyor, as they were going slowly into the scanner, as the exit conveyor was full of uncleared empty trays.

During that time, still no one shifted the empty trays. The rest of the team around the scanner stood around chatting.

Attempts to leave the queue were met with shouts of "You. Get back."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.