Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Does anyone know if HAL has a senior manager in charge of operations in terminal 5?
Would imagine that goes without saying , though depends on your definition of "senior"
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by gw76
Would imagine that goes without saying , though depends on your definition of "senior"
...and also on your definition of the word "manager"
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bealine
Privatising the airports was the worst thing ever, next to privatising RailTrack. How can anything where there is a monopoly ever be truly competitive?
Careful. You'll get a smack from the invisible hand if you keep that kind of talk up!

The market works magic and must never be questioned.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Just breezed through South security in under 2 minutes, no problems, plenty of staff proactively organising and directing passengers. Security is a thankless task but I would rather it done properly than the alternative. Having done security duties in the military, I have sympathy for these people. Patience and curtesy towards everyone does help.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Mattyb44
Hmm, not the most accurate tweet considering its normally never that bad, nothing worse than a bit of hyperbole to lose the point
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Hmm, not the most accurate tweet considering its normally never that bad, nothing worse than a bit of hyperbole to lose the point
And the photo was from yesterday and the photo wasn't even the OPs.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by matthandy
And the photo was from yesterday and the photo wasn't even the OPs.
Indeed! A completely useless exercise then, at best will look like a grief maker to BA
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Love a little hyperbole on a slow Tuesday afternoon.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by simons1
It was exactly the same going through T4 2 weeks ago. About 50% of bags were being side tracked for hand searching.

In the end I complained to the duty person in charge but made little different.

You can't say anything to the operatives or you will just get the 'we don't have to put up with abuse from people like you' line.

If this happened in Africa people would just laugh and describe it as third world. Which is what Heathrow really is these days. A dump to be avoided wherever possible.
I made a complaint to HAL about T4 fasttrack recently - some staff were remarkably rude, contradicting each other and shouting at pax for doing what another staff member told them to do... (When supervisor saw he called someone else over immediately, and the guy checking my bag was quite apologetic - there are some good people there, but some who should be canned ASAP...)
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Herman ze German
If T5 wasn't so new I would have said: built it at Gatwick and make LGW the Oneworld Hub.
Please don't :-(

I regularly use LGW North Teminal and it is almost always a smooth and pleasant experience, with tolerable queues and security staff who are almost all friendly and efficient.

Ditto Schiphol, even if the design of the D gate wing leaves a lot to be desired !!!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njf63
Please don't :-(

I regularly use LGW North Teminal and it is almost always a smooth and pleasant experience, with tolerable queues and security staff who are almost all friendly and efficient.

Ditto Schiphol, even if the design of the D gate wing leaves a lot to be desired !!!
Gatwick Premium = ^

But it isn't unique. MAD T4 fast track is also very good.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:14 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
Just breezed through South security in under 2 minutes, no problems, plenty of staff proactively organising and directing passengers. Security is a thankless task but I would rather it done properly than the alternative. Having done security duties in the military, I have sympathy for these people. Patience and curtesy towards everyone does help.
I've seen no benefit whatsoever from me being patient & courteous.

I'd argue it matters not a jot, other than keeping yourself sane & balanced.

The job may well be "thankless", but that's why its a paid position and not a charity bag pack at Tesco's.

Sorry for being brusque, but posts like yours only give strength/validity to poor service, which is what this is.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
JSecurity is a thankless task but I would rather it done properly than the alternative.
Is the alternative doing it politely and efficiently?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by angatol
Don't we? They have the random fake metal detector alert set so high, that you might as well remove your shoes.
I get hit about 1-in-10 on that. Sometimes (usually Manchester) I get a shout about taking my boots off, but my hearing is a little impaired, so I walk through anyway, and it doesn't go off.

My bag gets caught in a random check as much as I do. Perhaps I have anti-metal jeans.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas
MAD T4 fast track is also very good.
It is decent, but I would not call it very good. There isn't much of a queuing area, so it can become crowded at busy times. Also, often either one of the boarding pass readers or one of the lanes is not working. Finally, staff are contractors and aren't very friendly. I remember they often told me to put my laptop and iPad into separate trays even though they didn't overlap in one. But I've digressed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.