Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LongHaulFlyerTalk
I'm taking a flight from SFO to TLV (connection at LHR, SFO --> LHR --> TLV). based on Expedia search engine it seems that 2nd bag will cost around $180.

Yet, based on BA website, if i understand this correctly and here is where i will be needing your assistance, as baggage allowed on flight is 1 Baggage item - Extra baggage, which is the total 2nd baggage item should cost $90 - $100.
The second bag should cost you about $90. Many people are confused by the fact that if your free allowance is one bag then the next bag is your second bag and if your free allowance is two bags then the next bag is your third bag. Hence the different fees.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:29 am

Did you book through Expedia? Might they have booked it on two tickets rather than connecting flights?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Did you book through Expedia? Might they have booked it on two tickets rather than connecting flights?
Sם I waited to have more colour on this before reposting. I haven't booked through Expedia but through TA at the end, nevertheless Expedia just provides this information for convenience measures so i believe they just have an issue with understanding the table chart i provided initially.

Entering my Booking on BA with my PNR results with first Extra bag cost of 100$ as we suspected.

Thank you all for your help. BR
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
For BAEC Bronze travelling between USA and U.K. is it 1 or 2 bags in economy?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
For BAEC Bronze travelling between USA and U.K. is it 1 or 2 bags in economy?
One as noted in post #3.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is there a difference on an RFS Avios redemption? I'm flying LHR-BRU today in ET on an RFS, and as a BA Silver, online check-in said I only had an allowance of 1 bag. I thought RFS includes 1 bag by default, so I should get a total of 2 as a SCH. Am I wrong or is BA's IT wrong?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Will it still be the case in 2017 that BA cannot move bags between LHR and LGW? I've never had to deal with this before as I rarely check bags, but I find it a bit irresponsible that BA sell a XXX-LON-XXX ticket and cannot transport the bags all the way through.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
Will it still be the case in 2017 that BA cannot move bags between LHR and LGW? I've never had to deal with this before as I rarely check bags, but I find it a bit irresponsible that BA sell a XXX-LON-XXX ticket and cannot transport the bags all the way through.
Can you provide any examples where this happens elsewhere? I'm not aware of any city where checked bags are transported between co-terminals by the airline (although that does not mean there are none!).
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by agehall
Can you provide any examples where this happens elsewhere? I'm not aware of any city where checked bags are transported between co-terminals by the airline (although that does not mean there are none!).
Like I said, I don't check bags often, so I'm far from an expert on this. But I think ANA does this between Haneda and Narita for ex-Japan flights.

Customers who have already deposited their baggage at the departure airport of their Japanese domestic flight do not need to collect their baggage at the departure airport of their international flight.
Please proceed directly to the security checkpoint.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...ure/index.html

But I think the issue at most airports is customs. However in my case my XXX-LHR-LGW-XXX is pure international so no customs issues in the UK.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stimpy
But I think the issue at most airports is customs. However in my case my XXX-LHR-LGW-XXX is pure international so no customs issues in the UK.
Actually, IIRC there is a customs issue, because BA has to prevent the bag crossing the customs border during the course of transferring it between LHR and LGW - so the transfer service has to be bonded. All of this involved complexity and cost, so it was unsurprising that it was binned. Personally, in the current BA climate I don't see it coming back any time soon.

As for irresponsibility, BA no longer pays for the inter-airport transfer for the passengers, either. And I don't see that being likely to change, either.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:45 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi All

Some clarification needed please. Baggage allowance for my flights tomorrow is 2 x 32kg as a Silver travelling in Y. Have had to purchase an extra bag as have lots of stuff to take back with me. Does the third (purchased) bag have an allowance of 23kg or 32kg?

I ask as I seem to recall at some point in the past (a few years ago) I was told by BA check in that the purchased third bag only had the 23kg limit. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks again

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old May 15, 2017, 6:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
I was wondering if anyone ever had experience of being asked to check in their cabin bag because they were also wearing/carrying a large coat or suit (whether in a garment bag or not). As in, for example, trying to get onto the plane with a cabin bag, a laptop bag AND a large winter coat.

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Hi All,

Hope i've got the right thread for this: i've got a BA Flight LHR T3-PRG on Weds in ET.

Trying to find out what time I can check my bag in and head through to lounge as I have a few calls to make - I know its often 3 hrs (or 2 in PRG!!) but on the BA website at link below it says BA Bronze/Silver/Gold can drop bags at T3 anytime day of flight from 0500 - as i'm OWE does that translate across - i know often the gold privileges from BA translate across to OWE but it doesn't say on the site about it in this instance.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rt/heathrow-t3

Flight is 2000 - i'd quite like to head through at 1530 if it's possible!

Really appreciate your help - many thanks.

Last edited by theox; Jul 10, 2017 at 4:44 am Reason: link added
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: LH
New policy?

Yesterday Mrs shady was flying out of PHX and her checked luggage got measured by the check in agent. She was flying in J so the agent said the weight is no issue, only the dimensions that can not exceed 62'' combined.
This was at the AA desk, as she was connecting to a BA flight in LAS, however the agent explicitly said BA is enforcing this.
I was not able to locate this on BA site anywhere. Was this just a lack of knowledge of the agent?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by shady
I was not able to locate this on BA site anywhere.
What I can find is on this page - https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances - under the heading "Increasing your checked baggage allowance", where it says:-
  • You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg. Any items larger than the above dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
One thing I have no experience of is whether or how a 62-inch restriction compares to what AA will allow, nor whether AA might have some practical limitation on accepting a bigger bag even if BA would theoretically take it itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.