Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:27 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you buy a separate ticket, you buy a separate hold luggage allowance. Two separate contracts as BA would put it. So you need to buy a ticket capable of taking the baggage that you are likely to be shipping. Most Significant Carrier isn't relevant over two transactions. Now it is possible that KUL will check your bags through to LHR, and it is also possible that BA won't spot it. But it is also possible that BA will offload your luggage until you have paid for the excess baggage. Basic fares only allows you to check in hand baggage, as an alternative to, and not additional to, your hand baggage allowance.
Thanks for the clarification. My ideal plan is to fly in CE which has a 2 bags/32kg each limit. On QR the limit is 40kg without any piece restriction. Am I correct to infer, then, that I will not be able to check in more than 2 pieces of luggage, following the same logic set out in your previous post?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zsc
Thanks for the clarification. My ideal plan is to fly in CE which has a 2 bags/32kg each limit. On QR the limit is 40kg without any piece restriction. Am I correct to infer, then, that I will not be able to check in more than 2 pieces of luggage, following the same logic set out in your previous post?
It may be that QR will check-in whatever their allowance is, it is unlikely that the check-in agent in KUL is going to appreciate how BA's Basic fares work. The problem could be in ARN where it could be picked up. Also note that if you do not buy a Basic fare you will have a Same Day Change facility on your ticket, allowing you to go earlier or later, if there is space, but realistically you would then need to ask KUL to check the bags only to ARN and then you re-check the items there. A bit of hassle at ARN, but you have the flexibility to respond to circumstances and perhaps get home sooner, alternatively to protect the ticket if you arrive late. See the SDC thread for more information. With all BA's fares, including Basic, you do have the option of purchasing extra baggage, and BA is more affordable than many other airlines in that respect. It's just that paying at the airport on Basic is the most expensive way to do it and paying in advance on other fares is the most cost effective, but it only needs to be a day or so in advance. So if you do need a third bag (plus) you can play it by ear until you are certain.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:59 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
It may be that QR will check-in whatever their allowance is, it is unlikely that the check-in agent in KUL is going to appreciate how BA's Basic fares work. The problem could be in ARN where it could be picked up. Also note that if you do not buy a Basic fare you will have a Same Day Change facility on your ticket, allowing you to go earlier or later, if there is space, but realistically you would then need to ask KUL to check the bags only to ARN and then you re-check the items there. A bit of hassle at ARN, but you have the flexibility to respond to circumstances and perhaps get home sooner, alternatively to protect the ticket if you arrive late. See the SDC thread for more information. With all BA's fares, including Basic, you do have the option of purchasing extra baggage, and BA is more affordable than many other airlines in that respect. It's just that paying at the airport on Basic is the most expensive way to do it and paying in advance on other fares is the most cost effective, but it only needs to be a day or so in advance. So if you do need a third bag (plus) you can play it by ear until you are certain.
Very helpful, first time hearing of SDC - many thanks once again!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:56 am

Is it possible to drop my bag off at LHR the night before an early morning flight?
Flying domestic Y (bronze)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Emailed received for flight LHR - FRA this am. Inviting to check in hand luggage at desk B15/16. Handy when on CE fare! So seems you can buy cheap HBO only fare and almost guaranteed a free checked bag anyway
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by aprilscot
Is it possible to drop my bag off at LHR the night before an early morning flight?
Someone with more experience than me will be able to confirm this, but to the best of my knowledge no: it has to be same day (I don’t think there is a max time but not certain - possibly 3 hours for Y/non-status?)

This is still better than out stations. At Prague, they only open 2 hours before departure (at least for QR) which was a pain for me wanting to guest into the lounge for a companion traveling on a slightly earlier flight!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aprilscot
No, it is possible at LGW and EDI but unfortunately not at LHR. Luggage has to be checked in on the day. There is the Airportr service which kind-of gets around this and they have a presence in T5 and T3.

https://airportr.com/

Originally Posted by gav0106
Emailed received for flight LHR - FRA this am. Inviting to check in hand luggage at desk B15/16. Handy when on CE fare! So seems you can buy cheap HBO only fare and almost guaranteed a free checked bag anyway
The CE bit must be a glitch, there's no such thing as HBO CE. From LHR and LGW (and less reliably from other out stations) it has long been OK to check in a bag on HBO fares, so long as it would have complied with the cabin luggage regulations in terms of size and being under 23 kgs.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:36 am

No, it is possible at LGW and EDI but unfortunately not at LHR. Luggage has to be checked in on the day. There is the Airportr service which kind-of gets around this and they have a presence in T5 and T3.

https://airportr.com/
Thanks for that information, c-w-s. Out of curiosity do you know why it is possible at EDI/LGW but not LHR? Sheer number of bags that would have to be stored?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Thanks for that information, c-w-s. Out of curiosity do you know why it is possible at EDI/LGW but not LHR? Sheer number of bags that would have to be stored?
It started as a LGW proposition and EDI is now run by the same management so it got extended to them. LGW has the space but it was fairly crafty from their point of view: they are on a profit share for many (all?) the retailers at the airport, so the earlier you get people at the airport the more money they spend, some goes to GAL; plus with all the charter / LCC services they could reduce congestion pressures (so costs) if the morning peak could be managed downwards. In other words it's money in the bank for GAL. Going to Gatwick late at night during peak season you will see a whole city in full operation - bars, cafés, shops all buzzing, people sleeping on benches, playing cards, police and chaplains wondering around. Whereas T5 drifts off to sleep from 19 hrs and from about midnight only a small part of the arrivals area by Giraffe is kept open, with deliberately uncomfortable seats.

My guess is that LHR T5 could also offer this since the warehouse isn't so full later on in the day and I'm sure they have space, so after a given time (17 hrs?) they could do something similar. I guess it's not a priority.
squawk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:53 am

Cityflyer no bag allowance?

i couldn’t find this answer in the Guide, but if I’m flying a Cityflyer flight from STN London Stansted to FLR Florence, it states “no bag allowance” for checked in Bags.

If I have a large bag that won’t fit in the overhead, Does this mean I can’t check in for free but will just need pay at check-in? I couldn’t see a way to add a checked bag to my flight purchase.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Kewina
i couldn’t find this answer in the Guide, but if I’m flying a Cityflyer flight from STN London Stansted to FLR Florence, it states “no bag allowance” for checked in Bags.

If I have a large bag that won’t fit in the overhead, Does this mean I can’t check in for free but will just need pay at check-in? I couldn’t see a way to add a checked bag to my flight purchase.

Thanks in advance
The Embraers aren't too bad for luggage, as far as small aircraft go. The E170 has an overhead area over the wing which is a bit narrow but there is good space before and after, E190s are better anyway. Plus the legroom is amazing by European standards, particularly the E190. But if it is a full flight they will just take it off you at the boarding gate and return it in FLR at the carousel, no charge involved. If you have changed your mind and decide to check it in anyway, you can do so in at the Online Check-in (OLCI) stage and pay there, which will be cheaper than doing it at the check-in desk. Or use this link instead:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...raBagsPod=true

The cost is £30 paid for in advance (that includes OLCI), £60 at the airport:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...t-hbo-stn.html

And welcome to the BA Forum Kewina.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
im buying this multi-city ticket from expedia and im OneWorld Sapphire. Are these considered hand bag only fares or should my status allow me to receive a free bag? im almost certain that i have to pay for the bags but wishful thinking lol.
  •  
    1. From Gatwick (LGW)
    2. To Schiphol (AMS)
  • British Airways 2764
  • Airbus A319Food and beverage for purchase
  • Economy/Coach (N)
  •  
    1. From Ataturk Intl. (IST)
    2. To Heathrow (LHR)
  • British Airways 675
  • Airbus A320Food and beverage for purchase
  • Economy/Coach (M)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a 075 ticket, LHR-MAD and onward connection on IB metal. Being SCH/OWS, when I check on the IB website, it clearly says I have an allowance of 1 item of checked luggage. However, given how IB flights are managed in T5, when I check on BA MMB, it says I have purchased a HBO only, hence no free allowance.

I think OW rules are clear, if you are OWS, you get a free checked item, unless you have bought a 125 BA HBO ticket. However, given that it is a 075 but operating out of T5, will the staff in LHR be aware of this or will I have to print my itinerary from the IB website?

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
im buying this multi-city ticket from expedia and im OneWorld Sapphire. Are these considered hand bag only fares or should my status allow me to receive a free bag? im almost certain that i have to pay for the bags but wishful thinking lol.
Normally if you buy complex tickets with BA they have a baggage allowance with the ticket. The problem is that Expedia could be slinging together HBO fares quite easily. I would have hoped the e-ticket email would specify the allowance, it is supposed to spell it out. It should also say in BA's Manage My Booking what your allowance is, also in the BA App. Just expand the flight line and drop down to Baggage. This isn't perfect, it is sometimes wrong, but if it says you have a baggage allowance, just print that out and bring it with you. Moreover, if your baggage is under the size limit for hand baggage, normally you can still check in the bag, so long as you don't use that to extend your total bags.
Amil likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flying LHR to YUL in Y on Monday. Confused by the checked baggage allowance showing in MMB - recently been demoted to Bronze (yes, yes, I know) from Silver. I know that I used to have 2 checked bags on flights to Canada when silver, but BA.com says 1 bag max 23kg for Bronze/Blue on directs to Canada (you get an additional if connecting). MMB is telling me I have two free checked bags both out and return. Bit confused as to if this is because:
a) the BA website is wrong
b) My corporate TA has some deal on this ticket which gives extra bags (mid-range economy, N bucket so not fully flex or anything)
c) The fact that a seat change notification appeared due to a 788 -> 789 equipment swap means I might have a nicer flight than expected as this is the published allowance for a Bronze in WTP.
d) My brain has been fried by 2 hours of running in the sunshine this morning and I should just go back to sleep. The guide on this thread seems to suggest 3 bags in Y for blue, which I am sure isnt true, BA can't be that generous...

Last edited by jamespi; Jun 10, 2018 at 12:14 pm Reason: clarify from lhr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.