BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by qraec777
Hi-
Sorry if this question had been asked earlier. I am tempted by a WS/BA fare on Premium Economy from YEG-KWI later this year and I have currently conflicted between choosing BA and AC/LH in Premium Economy. BA is cheaper but I am curious if it includes a priority baggage tag like AC.

I understand that my QR Gold status isn't enough to get a priority but will a premium economy ticket be enough for the priority baggage tag?
Hi,

You will likely find that even if you do get a tag, the priority tag will not work to get your bags quicker ( priority bags are not a benefit on BA)

Regards

TBS
BA or bust likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

You will likely find that even if you do get a tag, the priority tag will not work to get your bags quicker ( priority bags are not a benefit on BA)

Regards

TBS
Thank you so much for the info!
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by qraec777

I understand that my QR Gold status isn't enough to get a priority but will a premium economy ticket be enough for the priority baggage tag?
No. But baggage return at KWI is fairly swift anyway.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
I have IRROPS rerouted BA flights OSL-LHR-SEA on AY ticket and in fare class V. The ticket shows 0 baggage allowance and also MMB says the same. However, as OWE I would be entitled to 1 bag on AY flight but I know this benefit does not apply on BA (on BA ticket). I could not find is V fare essentially a HBO fare or something else I.e. I should have no issues utilizing OW benefit at the airport (as I assume ticket rules superseed carrier rules, I assume?).
It would seem there is no priority baggage handling on BA in any case, bit weird but it is what it is.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I have IRROPS rerouted BA flights OSL-LHR-SEA on AY ticket and in fare class V. The ticket shows 0 baggage allowance and also MMB says the same. However, as OWE I would be entitled to 1 bag on AY flight but I know this benefit does not apply on BA (on BA ticket). I could not find is V fare essentially a HBO fare or something else I.e. I should have no issues utilizing OW benefit at the airport (as I assume ticket rules superseed carrier rules, I assume?).
It would seem there is no priority baggage handling on BA in any case, bit weird but it is what it is.
Unlike AA, BA's Basic fares run across the booking class, there isn't a Basic fare specific booking class, which is too clunky for BA's revenue management, the constraints and pricing triggers are all on fare basis, which allows BA to sell HBO at higher prices if the demand is there, rather than switching off the booking class. So looking at V doesn't help, other than BA doesn't sell Basic in full fat Y or B (but it occasionally does in H). Status led baggage allowance has never been reliable attached to tickets - often it's there, but the absence on the ticket should be accommodated by agents looking up the rules. I can't see an AY flight in that, they don't operate OSL-LHR unless via HEL.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unlike AA, BA's Basic fares run across the booking class, there isn't a Basic fare specific booking class, which is too clunky for BA's revenue management, the constraints and pricing triggers are all on fare basis, which allows BA to sell HBO at higher prices if the demand is there, rather than switching off the booking class. So looking at V doesn't help, other than BA doesn't sell Basic in full fat Y or B (but it occasionally does in H). Status led baggage allowance has never been reliable attached to tickets - often it's there, but the absence on the ticket should be accommodated by agents looking up the rules. I can't see an AY flight in that, they don't operate OSL-LHR unless via HEL.
Yeah, this is a tricky irrops where AY uses the JV fares as they scrapped HEL-SEA that I had originally booked (via OSL of course as it was waaay cheaper). Both the BA legs have AY codes as well ( e.g. AY5911) so I _assume_ AY ticketing rules apply but new ticket and MMB definitely look different than the old ticket/MMB where itienary was fully on AY code, tix and metal.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Assume you have a BA long haul business class ticket. You have two pieces of hand luggage, both within limits. But you have a suit bag too.

Would you (perhaps) get all three bags into the cabin with you under the “blind eye” approach, or have to check one of the pieces of hand luggage?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Hi all,

As a BA Gold on a basic / HBO fare, if I purchase a bag, do I get another bag for free? Here's what ba.com says but would my fare not be basic any longer, as I have purchased a bag?

Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Greg66
Assume you have a BA long haul business class ticket. You have two pieces of hand luggage, both within limits. But you have a suit bag too.

Would you (perhaps) get all three bags into the cabin with you under the “blind eye” approach, or have to check one of the pieces of hand luggage?
Most likely you would be ok.
Greg66 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Hi all,

As a BA Gold on a basic / HBO fare, if I purchase a bag, do I get another bag for free? Here's what ba.com says but would my fare not be basic any longer, as I have purchased a bag?
No, HBO is strictly away from the baggage arrangements for status. So if you buy one bag, that's all you can count on. Your ticket is still a Basic ticket after buying it, so each bag is chargeable.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
EDI Overnight from LHR Recheck or Store

Apologies for asking again after a few months on this one. I have a flight SFO-LHR in Feb with same day LHR-EDI for an overnight in EDI before returning to LHR where I have 1 day in WIndsor before continuing on SQ to Asia.

When I asked about dealing with baggage a few months ago the consensus was to store at LHR after clearing baggage claim, but now I'm thinking it is just cleaner to recheck to EDI based on the expected process of waiting in line to store and then reclaiming again the following day; I know baggage claim has its risks and delays as well, but is something i'm quite used to doing.

Anyway, I'm inclined to just recheck bag to EDI and deal with it enroute, keep the flow simple. However, would ask for feedback as to this plan.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by cyborg
Anyway, I'm inclined to just recheck bag to EDI and deal with it enroute, keep the flow simple. However, would ask for feedback as to this plan.
Both are options. The queue for storing and retrieving bags in LHR is not material, I would be surprised if that tops 5 minutes. When arriving at LHR from SFO the baggage reclaim may involve a 30 minute wait, could be longer, could be shorter, but you can't avoid that. The recovery of bags in EDI will be swift, I don't think there has ever been a complaint about that. Baggage check-in in EDI is reasonably swift, it's got a slightly strange process to it, but 5 minutes there maybe? LHR, well if all else fails you can use the self check machines but I imagine SQ will be efficient. Personally if I was in your shoes I would probably stick with your original plan but I don't think it's a problem either way.
cyborg likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flying SFO-LHR on the return leg of a booking.

Was going to get train home, but booked a reward flight LHR-MAN a few weeks ago (different PNR). Knew it was risky, but train was always the back up, the flight would just get us home a few hours quicker.

Knew I'd have to pick bags up at LHR and recheck them in TFW, but 3 hours between arriving and departing should have been a good margin. These bookings have just sat there independent of each other.

Was absolutely shocked checking in at SFO that the agent said our bags were chedked through to MAN and she also gave us our boarding passes for LHR-MAN.

We never asked for it, although it makes LHR easier for us), but is it something she did, or does the system link the two bookings together?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer

We never asked for it, although it makes LHR easier for us), but is it something she did, or does the system link the two bookings together?
Amadeus links two bookings if it believes that this is one booking. Amadeus simply doesn't take BA's internal rules into account. It's something that has happened to many other people, most examples are in this thread:
BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
However it's not so consistent that you can take it for granted.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:18 am

Hello BA board,
Not sure where to post this question:

I am considering a short haul (revenue flight) on Gulf Air which will be Immediately followed by a BA flight (BAH to LHR using miles)
The GF and BA flights will be on separate tickets / PNRs.
DOes anyone know if GF will check luggage through to BA on separate tickets?

I know that BA will NOT check luggage through on different tickets to any airline including BA....

Any experiences? Thank you in advance.
I have not purchased these tickets....since I am still trying to find out about the baggage situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.