Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR

When checking in at LHR First desks on 19 May for J Class itinerary from LHR to BKK via BA and QR I was informed that BA could no longer check through baggage to QR. I queried this as QR is a Oneworld member but was told that staff had been informed that the agreement had ended. When I pressed the Oneworld alliance agreement, the agent called the First check-in manager who confirmed that the arrangement with QR was no longer being honoured but intervened to assist the agent to override the system and told me it was a favour due to it being a recent policy change.

However, when I arrived in BKK neither of my two bags had been forwarded from LHR. QR ground staff raised a case reference for missing bags. BA had already telexed BKK to inform them that one bag had never left LHR, the other has been sent to ARN!. QR staff initiated action to forward both bags to BKK.

I received 2 bags on 22 May, one from ARN which was mine, the other forwarded by BA from LHR, which belonged to a lady in California!

BA Gold line have been hugely sympathetic and done what they can, but have been unable to get any sense out of Heathrow due to confusion; partly due to it being a Sunday, and due to my bag being held in T5 but the BA flight to BKK departing T3 who apparently have different baggage staff!.

To add insult to injury, the only call I have received from BA in LHR today has been to interrogate me as to what I have done with the bag belonging to the lady in California; when I enquired about my own bag I was told that it was not BA's problem as they no longer had an interline agreement with QR and the agent hung up, refusing to give his name.

I thought that the OneWorld Alliance arrangements were applicable to all alliance members. Given the recent debacle over 'R' Fares, is this another 'enhancement'?

Last edited by pjh981; May 22, 2016 at 12:40 pm
Old May 22, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Makes no sense. And is very funny since news just came out that QR owns 15% of IAG.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ilding-in-iag/
Old May 22, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: Some
Agree the timing of this is very odd indeed. If this is actually the case now rather than some kind of confused check-in mistake, then BA needs to be very careful this doesn't just lead to more people booking LCC flights to connect to QR rather than encouraging passengers back to BA...
Old May 22, 2016, 1:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Agree the timing of this is very odd indeed. If this is actually the case now rather than some kind of confused check-in mistake, then BA needs to be very careful this doesn't just lead to more people booking LCC flights to connect to QR rather than encouraging passengers back to BA...
You could be right, if this is a BA policy change. It might actually be a QR policy change aimed at those who choose to pay much lower fares by travelling exEU to avoid their much higher UK fares.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
What does EF say about BA's interlining partners?
Old May 22, 2016, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by pjh981
When checking in at LHR First desks on 19 May for J Class itinerary from LHR to BKK via BA and QR I was informed that BA could no longer check through baggage to QR. I queried this as QR is a Oneworld member but was told that staff had been informed that the agreement had ended. When I pressed the Oneworld alliance agreement, the agent called the First check-in manager who confirmed that the arrangement with QR was no longer being honoured but intervened to assist the agent to override the system and told me it was a favour due to it being a recent policy change.

However, when I arrived in BKK neither of my two bags had been forwarded from LHR. QR ground staff raised a case reference for missing bags. BA had already telexed BKK to inform them that one bag had never left LHR, the other has been sent to ARN!. QR staff initiated action to forward both bags to BKK.

I received 2 bags on 22 May, one from ARN which was mine, the other forwarded by BA from LHR, which belonged to a lady in California!

BA Gold line have been hugely sympathetic and done what they can, but have been unable to get any sense out of Heathrow due to confusion; partly due to it being a Sunday, and due to my bag being held in T5 but the BA flight to BKK departing T3 who apparently have different baggage staff!.

To add insult to injury, the only call I have received from BA in LHR today has been to interrogate me as to what I have done with the bag belonging to the lady in California; when I enquired about my own bag I was told that it was not BA's problem as they no longer had an interline agreement with QR and the agent hung up, refusing to give his name.

I thought that the OneWorld Alliance arrangements were applicable to all alliance members. Given the recent debacle over 'R' Fares, is this another 'enhancement'?
Could I just clarify your routing?

You mention LHR-BKK, but then mention BA and QR.

So were you flying LHR-DOH on BA, and then DOH-BKK with QR?

M
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
What does EF say about BA's interlining partners?
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AB AC AE AF AH AI AS AT AV AY AZ A3 A9
BA BD BE BI BL BM BP BR BT BW B6 CA CI CM
CO CX CZ DL DT EC EI EK ET EY FB FI FJ FV
GA GF GK G3 HA HG HM HP HU HX IB IC IG JC
JJ JL JP JQ JU JY J2 KA KC KE KK KL KM KP
KQ KU KX LA LG LH LI LO LP LR LX LY ME MI
MK MN MS MU MX NH NU NZ OA OK OM OS OU OZ
PG PR PS PW PX PZ QF QI QM QR RB RO SA SB
SN SQ SU SV SW S7 TA TG TK TM TN TP TU T0
UA UK UP US UU U0 U7 VN VS VY WF WM WS WY
XK XL XM X5 3K 3U 4M 7H 9B 9W
Old May 22, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
could i just clarify your routing?

You mention lhr-bkk, but then mention ba and qr.

So were you flying lhr-doh on ba, and then doh-bkk with qr?

M
lhr - arn - doh - bkk.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You could be right, if this is a BA policy change. It might actually be a QR policy change aimed at those who choose to pay much lower fares by travelling exEU to avoid their much higher UK fares.
Could be, although there has been a (very welcome) recent drift in QR ex-UK J sale fares towards levels closer to those ex-EU
Old May 22, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ok, interesting.

I was told last week that ALL OW airlines will refuse to interline on separate PNRs from 1st June.

The only reason I have not covered this on HFP is that I cannot prove it.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moderator note

A couple of off-topic posts were removed to protect this thread from derailing.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 22, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by pjh981
lhr - arn - doh - bkk.
Thanks for clarifying.

My father flew LHR-CPH-DOH-HKG yesterday, and didn't have any issues. He too checked in at F, and was flying CE to CPH, and then J on QR through to HKG. I spoke to him a couple of hours ago, and while I didn't ask him specifically about his baggage, it's the sort of thing he would mention to me, had it not arrived.

Perhaps his check-in agent had different information, or perhaps your issue was a one-off. However, based on the info the agent and her Manager relayed to you, I am probably more on the latter scenario.

This could be an interesting development.

M
Old May 22, 2016, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Ok, interesting.

I was told last week that ALL OW airlines will refuse to interline on separate PNRs from 1st June.

The only reason I have not covered this on HFP is that I cannot prove it.
That's going to be a real pain for those with flights booked through Asia (less so the US as you have to collect your bags on arrival).

Thanks for the info Rob - hopefully what they told you was totally wrong (in the nicest way possible)!
Old May 22, 2016, 1:49 pm

I had T5 check in refuse to interline to QR back in Jan. When I queried this with a manager they didn't even know who QR were or what OW was (I kid you not). It was like banging your head against a brick wall but eventually they managed to find another member of staff who sorted it all out. I would not necessarily believe this is a policy change when the staff training appears so woeful.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
That's going to be a real pain for those with flights booked through Asia (less so the US as you have to collect your bags on arrival).

Thanks for the info Rob - hopefully what they told you was totally wrong (in the nicest way possible)!
Even more of a pain to those who are non on EU passports (like me) and don't always have a Schengen visa and often travel between UK and Middle East/Asia via Schengen on two PNRs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.