Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:47 am

I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to collect my baggage during my layover tomorrow, and I'd like to figure it out before arriving at the airport in order to pack most efficiently.

Originally I was supposed to have about a four hour layover in LHR while traveling from RUH to BOS. and I assumed my bags would go straight through.

Now, I have an overnight layover of about 14 hours, as my connecting flight had to be rebooked. I managed to check in online - but only for the first flight. The connecting flight still says "x number of hours until check in opens". Does that mean that this is now being treated as two separate itineraries, and I'm going to have to collect my baggage upon arrival in LHR and check them in again the next morning? It's all still one ticket number, one confirmation number, etc, but the fact that it's saying I'm not checked in for the connecting flight makes me think that I'm going to have to get my bags. I've never had an overnight layover before, so maybe this is all standard and a very stupid question. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, it's still one itinerary and bags can be tagged to the end of the itinerary (which is a separate process to OLCI anyway). It's not an unusual situation if there is a long day of travel involved. The bags can stay checked in overnight, or you can ask for their return if you prefer. The default is through checked.
pitweasel1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:52 am

It seems that the “most generous” rule has changed (so the thread above needs changing) and if you have outbound J, inbound Y then for the inbound the Y allowance applies.

When did this change?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi everyone, time for one of my many probably stupid questions. Flying DUB-LHR-MLE later in the year with a positioning flight to Dublin the day before. Are we allowed to check-in luggage at Heathrow after the DUB-LHR flight, or does it have to be checked-in at the beginning of the journey? It's a 7 hour layover so I'm not particularly worried about time.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes after DUB-LHR is fine. Best off just put don’t know when you do check in for your flights for number of bags you intend to check in.
richiejv likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
I am leading a simple BA EU return with 5 people on the plus booking. As Silver that means every passenger gets 2x32kg. Can one other passenger check only one bag, and can I then check in 3 pieces under my name?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by linz36
I am leading a simple BA EU return with 5 people on the plus booking. As Silver that means every passenger gets 2x32kg. Can one other passenger check only one bag, and can I then check in 3 pieces under my name?
I suspect not, but if the bags are being delivered to the same place at the same time why is it an issue?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
I suspect not, but if the bags are being delivered to the same place at the same time why is it an issue?
We are arriving at the airport at different times, and the question is if the earlier people have to wait for me, or if they can go through security.
They are 3h-before-departure people, and I am not.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
We are arriving at the airport at different times, and the question is if the earlier people have to wait for me, or if they can go through security.
They are 3h-before-departure people, and I am not.
someone else may correct this but will they be allowed to check in extra bags if you, the silver passenger are not there?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I originally booked LHR-SFO-LHR; LHR-SFO in WT (HBO) and SFO-LHR in WTP.

The itinerary was changed to LHR-SFO-LAX (basic economy, AA) and LAX-JFK-LHR (basic economy AA followed by BA WTP). After calling BA, they say the ticket/booking is showing that I have no checked baggage on the return flight. Is this normal/something I need to address before the airport or simply a glitch in the computer?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I originally booked LHR-SFO-LHR; LHR-SFO in WT (HBO) and SFO-LHR in WTP.

The itinerary was changed to LHR-SFO-LAX (basic economy, AA) and LAX-JFK-LHR (basic economy AA followed by BA WTP). After calling BA, they say the ticket/booking is showing that I have no checked baggage on the return flight. Is this normal/something I need to address before the airport or simply a glitch in the computer?
You are shown as being Silver, if that is still the case then you should be OK since Silvers get a checked baggage allowance on AA Basic fares. The WTP sector should be OK. I would take your original ticket print-out if necessary but you should be able to get the return ticket to show a baggage allowance. In any event if you are charged then BA will refund it if it was an involuntary change. If it's voluntary then it gets more complex.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by firstlight
someone else may correct this but will they be allowed to check in extra bags if you, the silver passenger are not there?
Yes, they can check 2 bags each. But can I check in 3 by myself, providing that someone else has only checked one?

In other words, is the baggage allowance accounted by person, or by the booking?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:21 pm

Yes, they can check 2 bags each. But can I check in 3 by myself, providing that someone else has only checked one?

In other words, is the baggage allowance accounted by person, or by the booking?
By person.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Not sure if this is a BA question or an Iberia one, but here goes. I've booked an Iberia basic fare from Ibiza to Heathrow, connecting at Madrid. The IBZ-MAD flight is with Iberia Express and MAD-LHR is with BA. Both are on IB codes. There's no baggage allowance with the fare, but my reading of the IB website is that any BA gold or silver card holder will be able to check an additional bag free (ie one bag instead of no bag). Does anyone have any experience of this being allowed in practice? I'm slightly wary of relying on it because I'm used to the position on BA where status doesn't give any free luggage allowance on hand luggage only fares.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 3:24 pm

Good evening,

Am I able to take a lock picking kit in hand luggage?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.