Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Regarding Baggage Allowances and Additional Baggage for Qantas Avios redemptions....

Prior to booking a Qantas Avios redemption it is unclear what the excess baggage policy / prices are, the information provided on BA.com is unclear.

I have investigated by purchasing a redemption and...
- you will receive the standard baggage allowances quoted on the Qantas website for the given journey
- if you require an additional baggage allowance you will pay the same "additional bag" costs shown on the Qantas site - to check make a dummy cash booking on the Qantas website

More info on excess baggage / additional bags:
- Notably you are still entitled to the 50% discount for purchasing additional baggage online
- You can purchase your additional baggage on the Qantas site by typing in your flight confirmation number and last name
- I expect any monies paid to Qantas may be difficult to recover if you choose to cancel your Avios flight
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Originally Posted by email2markt
Regarding Baggage Allowances and Additional Baggage for Qantas Avios redemptions....

Prior to booking a Qantas Avios redemption it is unclear what the excess baggage policy / prices are, the information provided on BA.com is unclear.
My past experience, a few years ago, was that about 5 days before the flight (you couldn't do it weeks/months ahead), I could logon to the Qantas manage my booking equivalent and purchase an extra bag (this was an Avios ticket). At check-in I simply showed them the print out confirming an extra bag and after a quick glance they checked it in no problem.
email2markt likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi, my partner just booked a package to LA on Expedia. It turns out that the BA flights are HBO... If I add one bag in MBM at £40 each way for myself, as a BA silver, will that mean I get the extra 2nd bag and 32gs each weight allowance?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Hi, my partner just booked a package to LA on Expedia. It turns out that the BA flights are HBO... If I add one bag in MBM at £40 each way for myself, as a BA silver, will that mean I get the extra 2nd bag and 32gs each weight allowance?
You don't get the extra bag, adding the Basic fare bag doesn't turn the ticket into a Standard Economy ticket. If you want 2 bags then you have to pay for each in MMB.. The situation with 23 versus 32 kgs has never been clarified here, to the best of my knowledge. I've advocated - clearly based on a lack of knowledge - that it is probably 32 kgs on BA operated services for Silvers/Sapphires and above, but you can't take that for granted.
1210mk2 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:17 pm

Ok thanks. It would appear Expedia and the like only sell HBO economy now, there was no option at check out to change to baggage inclusive.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Ok thanks. It would appear Expedia and the like only sell HBO economy now, there was no option at check out to change to baggage inclusive.
Well Expedia do give non HBO fares, but you do have to work through the listings to find them. They show fares in price sequence so Basic fares will be at the start of the list. On BA.com (and other OTAs) it is rather clearer since it's listed by flight time and you can work through the baggage options. Since Expedia is unlikely to be cheaper than BA (other OTAs can be cheaper) then I'm surprised people use it so much for BA flights, but I've been told it remains one of BA's biggest sources of bookings.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Since Expedia is unlikely to be cheaper than BA (other OTAs can be cheaper) then I'm surprised people use it so much for BA flights, but I've been told it remains one of BA's biggest sources of bookings.
I think this could be to do with their flight + hotel package options. You can save a fortune. I know BA offers similar flight + hotel idea but the choice of hotels is nowhere near the scale of Expedia/eBookers.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:47 am

Can’t really seems to find a simple answer to the following scenario.

Bought 2 economy tickets long haul for me and the wife. We are Bronze members so no extra allowance. According to the rules, Each one of us can check in 1 bag of 23 kg. However we only want to travel with 1 bag between both of us. Can We check in with ONE 32kg bag for both of us without paying a fee? In other words, does BA allow us to combine our 46kg allowance (for both of us combined) in 1 bag as long as the bag doesn’t exceed 32kg?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fomc
Can’t really seems to find a simple answer to the following scenario.

Bought 2 economy tickets long haul for me and the wife. We are Bronze members so no extra allowance. According to the rules, Each one of us can check in 1 bag of 23 kg. However we only want to travel with 1 bag between both of us. Can We check in with ONE 32kg bag for both of us without paying a fee? In other words, does BA allow us to combine our 46kg allowance (for both of us combined) in 1 bag as long as the bag doesn’t exceed 32kg?
No, 23kg is the limit per 1 bag. You will be asked to pay the heavy bag fee.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
My employer has purchased my ticket to Madrid through a corporate travel agent. Supposedly they have paid for a total of 3 x23kg bags for me, and my travel agent confirmation shows this, however MMB is not showing the extra bags. Is this normal for the BA App / website, and just another tech glitch amongst many?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
For Club Europe (domestic), baggage allowance with no status is 2x bags at 32 kg, but this is the combined total weight? You couldn't say check-in 2x bags at 25 kg each?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by seattle29
For Club Europe (domestic), baggage allowance with no status is 2x bags at 32 kg, but this is the combined total weight? You couldn't say check-in 2x bags at 25 kg each?

Hi,
It is 2 bags at up to 32kg each ( ie 64kg total). No 1 bag can be above 32 kg though. The bags will get a 'heavy' sticker if above 23kg but no problems with bag between 23 & 32kg

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
It is 2 bags at up to 32kg each ( ie 64kg total). No 1 bag can be above 32 kg though. The bags will get a 'heavy' sticker if above 23kg but no problems with bag between 23 & 32kg

Regards

TBS
Thank! I was confused because the booking confirmation email said 2 bags, 32 kg, but the BA App shows 2 bags, 23 kg - must be a bug!
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: QRPC-Plat/OWE, MPC, BAEC
Hi,

Flying from HKG-LHR in Y, OWE and BA Silver travelling together on the same booking. Do we get 5*32kg bags altogether, as I (OWE) will get 2*32kg, and Mrs HMA (Silver) will get 2*32kg from her status, and an additional bag at 32kg from my status?

Haven't seen a similar case here before so any advice is very much appreciated!

Thank you,
HMA
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:45 am

What would be my allowance flying in Iberia Business class outbound and BA CE back on one ticket as Silver please, the dummy booking is confusing and the Iberia website says its only 23kg in Business, the outbound flight number starts with BA but says operated by Iberia? Confused! thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.