Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eugeniod1995
Wouldn’t they let me board the flight to EDI or it’s something that would arise at San Francisco?
The first two legs of the booking are on Finnair (FCO-HEL-LAX).
It would most likely arise before you even set off so watch MMB to see if anything vanishes.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It would most likely arise before you even set off so watch MMB to see if anything vanishes.
Are you referring to the LHR-EDI or to the TATL booking?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by eugeniod1995

Are you referring to the LHR-EDI or to the TATL booking?
My guess would be that, if BA catch it, they would cancel the EDI booking. If they have actually issued tickets then they may do nothing anyway.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Both tickets are issued and paid for.
My “plan” was to check-in online for the SFO-LHR only (is it possible? I travel on an Italian passport), and upon landing in LHR check-in online for the EDI flight.
My friend would do the same but she will be traveling to MUC on BA as well.

P.S: I wish I had booked Flybe...!

I apologise for the non-intentional OT.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For once, I'm not really sure what to suggest. I don't think BA will touch the ticket since it was issued by QR. And from what little I know about QR's customer service, I'm not sure I would want to ask them to reissue the ticket either.
I thought I'd give this a go

It took few messages for them to understand what the issue was and about a week later:

We sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your request.

We are pleased to confirm that your partner award ticket has been reissued with 01pc of luggage as below details.
And checking on BA MMB it now displays one piece of luggage [and my OWE is in the booking too] ^
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:55 am

Hi all, apologies if this info is elsewhere but I am under some pressure as in the midst of packing!

Flying HKG - LHR tomorrow in WTP and a one world sapphire. I know the allowance is 2 bags at up to 32kg each, but I am wondering can I bring 3 bags that come in under 64kg as a cumulative weight?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jah718
Flying HKG - LHR tomorrow in WTP and a one world sapphire. I know the allowance is 2 bags at up to 32kg each, but I am wondering can I bring 3 bags that come in under 64kg as a cumulative weight?
The short answer: No, it's not a 64-kg allowance but a 2-bag allowance, and two bags means two bags.
jah718 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The short answer: No, it's not a 64-kg allowance but a 2-bag allowance, and two bags means two bags.
Thanks for the info! That's a real pity.

Is this a deliberate tactic by BA to provide something that sounds good but in practice is not very useful? I would seriously struggle to fit 32kg into any of my luggage.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:55 am

Thanks for the info! That's a real pity.

Is this a deliberate tactic by BA to provide something that sounds good but in practice is not very useful? I would seriously struggle to fit 32kg into any of my luggage.
I have bags that would hold that much and when I was younger I might have used them but these days I wouldn't want to handle that weight. There are some airlines that just have an overall weight allowance but most seem to use pieces plus individual weight limit. There is always a maximum weight per piece that will be handled. The main advantage of the 32kg limit is that you don't have to worry about being a bit over the lower limit.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

With my hard samsonite case and over a weeks worth of clothes , toiletries and some souveneirs I can easily be around 25-26kg but with the 32kg allowance I do not need to worry about it. Depending on what you pack you could get up to 32kg.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:28 pm

Thanks for the info all. I guess it might not be so hard to get 32kg into one bag, it just seems a little bit crazy that they would be willing to take 64kg in 2 bags but they won't take 50kg in 3 bags. Seems like a very inflexible policy.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I guess it might not be so hard to get 32kg into one bag, it just seems a little bit crazy that they would be willing to take 64kg in 2 bags but they won't take 50kg in 3 bags. Seems like a very inflexible policy.
I've got 32 kg into my fairly normal sized suitcase. I knew it was going to be close; I weighed it before setting of for the airport using a fairly ad hoc method (bathroom scales when holding the suitcase, and without the suitcase). When I got to the airport, I weighed it at an unused set of scales and found that it was 31.8 kg. After plastic wrapping (necessary because of the amount of sentimental value contained in the bag), it was exactly 32.0 kg. I was relieved as I hadn't been looking forward to the possible need to repack the bag.

The policy is based in part on the fact that weight is only part of the cost of handling a bag; there is also a cost per piece. So a piece count policy - long used on trans-Atlantic routes - adjusts somewhat for that. If on other routes the BA baggage allowance had remained at the more traditional weight-based allowance, the total weight allowed might be something like 30 kg per person in WT+ (before additional frequent flyer allowances).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:00 am

Does booking a HBO fare preclude us from checking a pushchair free of charge? Just trying to plan ahead and pay for it online if necessary.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AirNurse
Does booking a HBO fare preclude us from checking a pushchair free of charge? Just trying to plan ahead and pay for it online if necessary.
You actually get two items free on Basic (HBO) fares for each infant under 11 years old. So you can check in a collapsible pushchair and a travel cot, for example. I imagine at some smaller BA stations this may not be well known, so depending on the route I would print out the relevant bit of BA.com
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances
however I see another post from you elsewhere, relating to Florida travel and so they will definitely know about this at both ends. If you upgrade to WTP then there's no problem anyway.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You actually get two items free on Basic (HBO) fares for each infant under 11 years old. So you can check in a collapsible pushchair and a travel cot, for example. I imagine at some smaller BA stations this may not be well known, so depending on the route I would print out the relevant bit of BA.com
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances
however I see another post from you elsewhere, relating to Florida travel and so they will definitely know about this at both ends. If you upgrade to WTP then there's no problem anyway.
That is very helpful information, thank you very much! Still considering the option to upgrade to WTP -- having never flown WTP on BA, I'm not sure of the relative benefits and comfort vs. WT. Clearly that is all debate for another thread.

I do thank you for that helpful link! That information wasn't showing on MMB under the "Baggage" tab, but I was certain I had read it elsewhere. Are the extra items restricted to strollers and cots, or would a bag fall under that same "extra item" allowance? We do tend to pack very light anyway, but being relieved of a bag at check-in would certainly make getting through security with the kids easier (for us and everyone around us!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.