Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm flying at the end of September EDI-LHR-PHL-LAX in Y (one way). I'm Silver, and on MMB it says my baggage allowance is 2 checked bags at 23 kg each, except for the PHL-LAX flight, on US metal, which says I have 1 bag. I know the silver members are allowed up to 32 kg on BA metal, but I'm confused as to whether my 2x bags and extra weight allowance will cover the whole journey. It was booked as one trip using Avios. Would this still be the case, or would overweight fees be charged for that leg of the flight?

I read something about the longest segment allowance overrides any other airline policy, but I'd love some clarification before I get stuck at PHL arguing over extra and heavy bag charges.

Last edited by ediyankee; Aug 31, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by ediyankee
I'm flying at the end of September EDI-LHR-PHL-LAX in Y (one way). I'm Silver, and on MMB it says my baggage allowance is 2 checked bags at 23 kg each, except for the PHL-LAX flight, on US metal, which says I have 1 bag. I know the silver members are allowed up to 32 kg on BA metal, but I'm confused as to whether my 2x bags and extra weight allowance will cover the whole journey. It was booked as one trip using Avios. Would this still be the case, or would overweight fees be charged for that leg of the flight?

I read something about the longest segment allowance overrides any other airline policy, but I'd love some clarification before I get stuck at PHL arguing over extra and heavy bag charges.
The BA allowance will apply for the entire leg as LHR to PHL is the longest leg.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...#otherairlines

If your journey includes connecting flights with more than one airline, the checked baggage policy of the airline that operates the longer leg will apply.
However, as the underlying allowance on the BA flight is one bag (at 23Kg) but the second bag (and allowance up to 32Kg) is a BA Silver benefit applicable only when flying on a BA flight, I don't think that the extra bag and allowance will carry over to the AA flight.

So my conclusion is that MMB is correct.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Physci
The BA allowance will apply for the entire leg as LHR to PHL is the longest leg.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...#otherairlines

However, as the underlying allowance on the BA flight is one bag (at 23Kg) but the second bag (and allowance up to 32Kg) is a BA Silver benefit applicable only when flying on a BA flight, I don't think that the extra bag and allowance will carry over to the AA flight.

So my conclusion is that MMB is correct.
The AA policy, which is supposed to apply on US now, is that OW Sapphire get 2x23kg bags. This is liable to show up as a 0 bag allowance and a $0 charge for the first two bags to confuse you, from a recent AA ticket:

MSN-MIA-No free checked bags

1ST CHECKED BAG FEE
MSN-MIA USD0.00 UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM

2ND CHECKED BAG FEE
MSN-MIA USD0.00 UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:59 am

I did a very similar route to you as Silver last year, NCL LHR PHL DAY, although I was in CW. I was emigrating and had three 32kg bags. You'll just pick up your bags at PHL and drop them at the nearby drop off location. I was asked to show my boarding pass but there were no other questions.

Here's a link to the applicable federal law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.87

§ 399.87 Baggage allowances and fees.

For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees that apply at the beginning of a passenger's itinerary throughout his or her entire itinerary. In the case of code-share flights that form part of an itinerary whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier throughout the itinerary to the extent that they differ from those of any operating carrier.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A friend of mine taking Ashes abroad tomorrow - can these be taken on carry-on? It's through LHR if that makes a difference
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A friend of mine taking Ashes abroad tomorrow - can these be taken on carry-on? It's through LHR if that makes a difference
Yes you can:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults

Assuming this isn't the Darnley Urn, then this will generally be in a medium sized plastic tub, so I would just put it through unannounced into the scanner, perhaps discretely covered in a bag for life or small backpack, with nothing else in it. If stopped at LHR I think they technically could ask for a death certificate, hopefully not. There are examples of ashes going through LHR every day, it's not as unusual as you may think.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the speedy response as always CWS - yes there is a death certificate - they were going to put it in the hold, but would've been pretty horrendous had the bag got lost / delayed.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Through checking and baggage interlining using multiple carriers

IATA Policy
Baggage allowances and policies do vary by airline, even if you buy your flights through one of BA's direct channels. If your journey includes a flight with an airline other than British Airways, your checked baggage allowance may be different. Since 2011, IATA's member carriers apply the baggage allowances and charges policy for interline journeys established by the international body.

Important notes:
  • This policy applies to multiple connecting flights, operated by different carriers, booked under a single ticket.
  • Executive Club Silver and Gold card holders should check the weight of their baggage, as the more generous allowance of 32 kg per bag may not apply across all sectors. 23 kg is the standard limit.
  • If you book your travel using a combination of separate tickets, the policy of each ticketed carrier applies, and you lose the advantage of through checking your baggage from the beginning to the end of your journey.
  • Despite the warning immediately above, if your multi-ticket journey comprises of multiple oneworld carriers, you may still be able to through check your baggage. BA and AA are two oneworld carriers that allow this.

IATA's Baggage Rule Resolution 302 standardised baggage policies for passengers flying multiple carriers and outlined that if the baggage provisions of the different carriers are not the same, the policies of the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) will apply. The MSC is defined as the first operating carrier crossing IATA Areas or Sub-areas.

IATA dissects the world into three areas:
Area 1 covers the Americas, Area 2 covers Europe, the Middle East and Africa and Area 3 covers Asia-Pacific.

These are subdivided into Sub-areas. Area 1 is divided into USA, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean Islands, Central America and South Americas. Area 2 is divided into Europe, Middle East and Africa. Area 3 is divided into Japan and Korea, Southeast Asia, India and Southeast Pacific (Australasia).
The MSC is the first operating carrier flying the longest leg either between the three areas or the sub-areas. For travel within sub-areas, the policies of the carrier on the first international sector applies. Here are three examples which illustrate this:
Example 1
Flying from Berlin to Lisbon via London (all within a single sub-area) on British Airways and TAP, the MSC would be TAP as the second sector, LHR-LIS is longer than the first, TXL-LHR.

Example 2
For travel from Sydney to London via Hong Kong, for example, using both Qantas and British Airways, BA is the MSC since it is the carrier crossing between Area 3 and Area 2 (the longest sector).

Example 3
For travel between Los Angeles and New Delhi via London using American Airlines and British Airways, AA is the MSC as it operates the longest sector.

Note, the DOT of the United States and IATA policies are not fully aligned when it comes to codeshare flights. IATA states the MSC is defined as the operating carrier, whereas the DOT defines it as the marketing carrier so if you are travelling from or through the United States this is something to be mindful of.
If the entire journey is with one carrier, then these policies do not apply.

Connecting between London airports

If you have a flight connection between London's Heathrow and Gatwick, or City airports, BA is not able to through check your luggage between these airports, so you will have to collect your luggage on arrival and re-check at the connecting airport.
In an instance, starting from HKG to VIE via London which involve two flights : 1st flight HKG to London ( by Virgin Alantic ) and 2nd flight London to VIE ( by BA ) .

Based on my interpretation from the IATA rule , I should only need to follow the baggage allowance requirement from VA instead of BA since VA is the most significant carrier here.
Also it will only need to pay for one set of EXTRA baggage fee to VA when I check in at HKG origin..

Can anyone give me the confirmation by return.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:47 am

Exclamation FYI "BA extra baggage receipt" for HBO Euro fare - ONEWORLD allowances NOT Applicable

Hi all

Just down in MRS (actually, a very nice island off MRS) and planned to bring back a couple of cases of wine tomorrow. Purchased a luggage allowance for £30, which entitles me to 23kg. Now, thinking the oneworld allowance rules apply (I am sapphire on Qatar) I was thinking the 23kg would bump to 32kg and I would get two. However, after phoning BA, I am NOT entitled.

This is more of an FYI - BA.com doesn't really deal with it (on a plain reading, a HBO airfare would NOT be a HBO fare if baggage is purchased - but their position is that it is still a HBO fare).

So, tomorrow, just 1 case and 4 wines rather than 3.5 cases, and my health will be all the better for it

https://www.britishairways.com/en-fr...age-allowances

Additional allowances for frequent flyers
Executive Club Gold and Silver members and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members receive additional checked-baggage benefits when flying on British Airways flights.

Executive Club Gold and oneworld Emerald members

An additional free checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.
Executive Club Silver and oneworld Sapphire members

A checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any World Traveller, Euro Traveller and Domestic cabin for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Good Afternoon All,

Have my positioning flight LCY-DUB on Sunday week, for my first ex-eu the following day.

It has been a while since checking a bag in, without status. I am intending to check a bag in which is 26kgs, which is over the 23kg limit for ET.

As there are 2 of us travelling but only checking one bag in, is there leway on the weight of the single bag?

Thanks,
Matt
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Good Afternoon All,

Have my positioning flight LCY-DUB on Sunday week, for my first ex-eu the following day.

It has been a while since checking a bag in, without status. I am intending to check a bag in which is 26kgs, which is over the 23kg limit for ET.

As there are 2 of us travelling but only checking one bag in, is there leway on the weight of the single bag?

Thanks,
Matt
Hi,

Without status or flying in CE I doubt they will let you off with 3kg ( maybe 1kg)

Could you take a small extra bag and put the 3kg in it?

Assuming you are flying CE/CW from DUB the next day you will be allowed 32kg.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Without status or flying in CE I doubt they will let you off with 3kg ( maybe 1kg)

Could you take a small extra bag and put the 3kg in it?

Assuming you are flying CE/CW from DUB the next day you will be allowed 32kg.

Regards

TBS
Thanks TBS,

I was going to try and have a case within a case, but will check them both in instead.

Yep CE/CW the following day, fog permitting at LCY. Fingers crossed BA1 doesn't get cancelled/diverted to LGW!

Thanks Again,
Matt

Last edited by MHendo84; Oct 3, 2015 at 9:10 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
So, just to confirm, one can check-in an electric piano as long as it's shorter than 190cm and 99lbs and in terms of allowances that will count as a normal bag?

But how is one to notify BA at least 24hrs before? On the phone and they will put a note on the res?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:31 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Thanks Prospero! I am finding these guides really helpful to navigating the confusing world of BA. I especially love the graphics/diagrams as visuals are always helpful with the learning process.

Just a little comment though, there seems to be a mismatch under "inclusive checked allowances", in the fourth graphic, I believe Golds are missing a luggage

Originally Posted by Prospero
Inclusive checked baggage allowances on British Airways

Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: HH S*G SPG FPC
Hi I checked my MMB check in luggage allowance for a one way Euro Traveller selling class L and it says "2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag". I am Silver with BAEC so I thought I would get 2 bags at 32kg per bag as per their baggage allowance description.

Also looking at the guide Prospero put in diagram beautifully at the beginning of this thread, I believe that is correct too. So was wondering if I mis-understood or mis-read something.

I have quite a bit of luggage for this trip and will definitely exceed 46kg so was wondering if MMB will take into account the member's elite status or why MMB will only calculate it as 23kg per bag?

Appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.