Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum, cdb_london, it is good to see you here and I hope you will continue to participate in this board.

It sounds like a facet of a long term glitch in MMB, there are various manifestations of it, here is another example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ced-error.html

As mentioned in that thread, you can be guided by Baggage Essentials on BA.com for the CW section, and it is indeed the case that UL should accept BA's limits on their sectors, though I don't have personal experience of that. I suspect the other sectors are perhaps causing the incorrect baggage to show.
Thanks for the reply and link, hopefully should be ok at checkin if we can't get sorted beforehand. UL have already confirmed by email that they accept BA policy from the longer sectors. Stressful enough going long-haul economy, although it's a 777 out so at least not as narrow as the 787. Strangely MMB also increased tier points after UuA when I thought it would be the same, will have to see what posts.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do we actually know for sure that the system has changed?

The former system meant that someone who was (say) Bronze when they booked but Silver when they flew would be allowed 32 kg. Their ticket would say 23 kg and BA would then waive the heavy bag charge up to 32 kg because of the passenger's current Silver status.
I think the other effect may be on INVOL reroutes onto non-OW carriers. If BA had sold a ticket with a baggage allowance of 32kg then when they rerouted you onto a ST or *A carrier they would presumably be on the hook to pay whatever fees that carrier demanded to take your 32kg bag. But if they've only sold you a ticket with a 23kg and waive any overage fees based on your current status then there's no promise the other carrier will waive those fees. (Likewise if you get rerouted onto BA they'll waive the charges for heavy bags even though the ticket the other carrier bought doesn't have any special allowances.)

But this is all a bit of semantics. The MMB display also shows your lounge eligibility even if it's by virtue of status. In that case lounge eligibility could change if your status changes and won't transfer over to a different carrier. The flier doesn't normally care whether the baggage allowance is part of the ticket or a waived fee -- just what they'll be allowed at the airport.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have noticed that in post 3 for a GCH in WT the graphic shows two bags (which I think is correct) but the text under the bags says "3 pieces".

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:59 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
So I plan to check my luggage in at LHR through to PEK but all flights are across 3 tickets:

LHR - ARN - BA (BA Ticketed)
ARN - HKG - QR (QR Ticketed)
HKG - PEK - KA (MH Ticketed)

Has anyone every done an interline across more than 2 OW carriers? any issues, worst case is I check bags just to ARN and then check across 2 airlines with QR but could do without the hassle!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
I am at a loss. I think the more i read the more confused I get...

Flight is booked through BA.com with all BA numbers. Class is WT+ and I am a AA PLT member/ Oneworld Sapphire. Flight is MEM-DFW-LHR-TLV

MEM-DFW is AA metal
DFW-LHR is BA metal
LHR-TLV is BA Metal

First flight is a AA operated flight that I have ticketed as a BA flight number

AA policy for PLTs are 2 bags at 23kg (50lbs)
BA policy for oneworld sapphire is 2 Bags at 32kg (70lbs)

Which one will I get?

Last edited by conklaven; Jun 5, 2016 at 12:15 am
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by conklaven
I am at a loss. I think the more i read the more confused I get...

Flight is booked through BA.com with all BA numbers. Class is WT+ and I am a AA PLT member/ Oneworld Sapphire. Flight is MEM-DFW-LHR-TLV

MEM-DFW is AA metal
DFW-LHR is BA metal
LHR-TLV is BA Metal

First flight is a AA operated flight that I have ticketed as a BA flight number

AA policy for PLTs are 2 bags at 23kg (50lbs)
BA policy for oneworld sapphire is 2 Bags at 32kg (70lbs)

Which one will I get?
Your allowance will be 2 bags, each weighing up to 32kg and applicable to all sectors in your ticket
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Your allowance will be 2 bags, each weighing up to 32kg and applicable to all sectors in your ticket
Thanks. Should I print anything out. I feel that the aa counter is going to give me a hard time.

Mmb is showing 23kg
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:48 am

I decided to ask BA Twitter and here is the response. (Completely unexpected)

As you're travelling in World Traveller Plus you can check in 2 bags up to 23kg. As you're a oneworld Sapphire frequent flyer, you can check in a third bag up to 23kg,
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Sigh! It is oneworld Emerald’s that receive an extra bag, so the correct answer should have been this.

As you're travelling in World Traveller Plus you can check in 2 bags up to 23kg. As you're a oneworld Sapphire frequent flyer, both bags can be checked in with a higher weight allowance of up to 32kg.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Sigh! It is oneworld Emerald’s that receive an extra bag, so the correct answer should have been this.

As you're travelling in World Traveller Plus you can check in 2 bags up to 23kg. As you're a oneworld Sapphire frequent flyer, both bags can be checked in with a higher weight allowance of up to 32kg.
Yeah I agree. I do believe they are mistaken.

However I just reconfirmed it with them asking them to mark it on my reservation and they said it was. So I think I'm gonna keep the Twitter conversation as record and just reference it at check I. If there is any issues
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Not specifically a BA baggage question - but seems like a fair place to ask:
Currently enroute MAD > MIA > SXM and my bag has been tagged through to SXM and they have been labelled with 'transfer to outside U.S.' tags. The check-in agent said I don't need to pick them up and deposit them for my connecting flight in Miami - can anybody confirm that 100% for me?

Pilot37
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Not specifically a BA baggage question - but seems like a fair place to ask:
Currently enroute MAD > MIA > SXM and my bag has been tagged through to SXM and they have been labelled with 'transfer to outside U.S.' tags. The check-in agent said I don't need to pick them up and deposit them for my connecting flight in Miami - can anybody confirm that 100% for me?

Pilot37
MIA is one of a few US airports that now have international transfer for bags - meaning you do not need to clear US customs by picking up the bags and re-checking.

So in this case the check-in agent should be correct!

It is only a few airports in USA that have this, and ORD and all NYC airports do not yet.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
BA Baggage Allowance on AA Award Ticket ??

AMS - LHR - LAX / COACH

How many "free" for AA PLT ??

How many "free" for AA GLD ??

Thanks in advance for helpful response........delacpa
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by delacpa
AMS - LHR - LAX / COACH

How many "free" for AA PLT ??

How many "free" for AA GLD ??

Thanks in advance for helpful response........delacpa
See post #3 of this thread which should answer your question.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
Originally Posted by KARFA
See post #3 of this thread which should answer your question.
KARFA.........Thanks !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.