Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by redkitty
Hi I checked my MMB check in luggage allowance for a one way Euro Traveller selling class L and it says "2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag". I am Silver with BAEC so I thought I would get 2 bags at 32kg per bag as per their baggage allowance description.

Also looking at the guide Prospero put in diagram beautifully at the beginning of this thread, I believe that is correct too. So was wondering if I mis-understood or mis-read something.
You will have a 2x32kg allowance. MMB is often wrong.

This is also detailed on the BA.com baggage page under "Additional allowances for frequent flyers": http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nux

This is also detailed on the BA.com baggage page under "Additional allowances for frequent flyers": http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances
I think the subtlety is that the allowance is 23kg but elites get a waiver of the fee for the extra weight. MMB is just being very literal, although it does know enough to tell you about the lounge appropriate to your status if it is higher than allowed by your class of travel.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: HH S*G SPG FPC
Originally Posted by nux

Cool thanks for the clarification. Phew!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: HH S*G SPG FPC
Originally Posted by nux

Yup that's what I thot too when I was reading the link. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Just a word of caution for others checking bags through on separate bookings. Flew DUB-LHR and asked for bags to be checked through to HKG (BA flight), duly tagged and was given BPs for both flights. At LHR I went landside rather than using connections and (not unexpectedly) got refused at the entrance to fast track - needed to get passport check done again. Agent at F desks looked a bit bemused as she did that and started looking at the bag tags attached to the HKG BP, somehow they weren't associated with my second booking. Only a few key strokes and a scan of the tags required to sort it, but might have got lucky that she picked it up. Would not have been fun landing in HKG and wondering where my bags had got to...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Baggage allowance confusion

A word of caution about some recent glitches in the baggage allowance attached to my bookings. I'm currently a silver member, and as such on EuroTraveller am entitled to 2x32kg hold bags for me and 2x23kg bags for anybody on the same booking as me. I came back from Europe recently in ET and both MMB and the system that the desk agent had showed 1 bag allowance for me and for my wife (the system did show my silver status). When I explained to the desk agent that we should both get 2 free bags, she told me I was wrong. I pointed her to the website and she told me the website was wrong. She called her supervisor who confirmed that I get two bags, but that my wife (on the same booking) only got one. Eventually she agreed to carry our fourth bag for free 'just this once'.

Worried that this might not be a one-off, I checked my upcoming ET reservation on MMB. Sure enough, one bag only showing for each of us. I called BA. 30 minutes and two agents (plus a supervisor) later, they confirmed that:
1) My booking showed only one bag for each of us (they thought this might be because I made the booking then later added my BAEC number)
2) I was entitled to two bags - but the agents were unsure about those travelling on the same booking as me (one thought they also got two, one thought only one, the other didn't know)
3) 'Just this once' they would set the system to allow me and my wife both two bags

This doesn't seem like a very good long-term solution. Any advice as to how to remedy it? TBH I will (at the price margin) stop booking BA for European flights if I have to pay for the second bag as for me it's a big benefit as we often have lots of kit to transport, but I'd much rather get this confirmed so I don't spend time discussing the rules with every check-in agent I meet.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA silver, CO
Originally Posted by FliesForWork
A word of caution about some recent glitches in the baggage allowance attached to my bookings. I'm currently a silver member, and as such on EuroTraveller am entitled to 2x32kg hold bags for me and 2x23kg bags for anybody on the same booking as me. I came back from Europe recently in ET and both MMB and the system that the desk agent had showed 1 bag allowance for me and for my wife (the system did show my silver status).
I just ran into this as well when I checked into my return BWI-LHR for tomorrow. I am also silver and should get two bags. When checking in online, it only allowed me to select one bag.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:37 am

I'm looking for flights to RHO and on skyscanner I saw an option for LHR-DUS-RHO/RHO-LGW where the second flight is on AB and the rest on BA (taking the connection on the outbound is significantly cheaper than the direct BA flight). I cannot bring this fare up on the BA or AB sites; but it is bookable on Expedia for example.

I'm trying to figure out the baggage policy for this. Expedia says the outbound is a Q fare and it includes one checked bag and the return is a N fare and a checked bag would cost £56. But following the link in this guide:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...weight-baggage
I see that for an HBO fare the baggage fee for RHO should be £35. Also if Expedia is wrong and there's no baggage allowance on the outbound, then the outbound fee would be £65 if I'm reading the table right.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to figure out the baggage fees for this trip without being stuck with a non-refundable reservation?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by koroleon
I see that for an HBO fare the baggage fee for RHO should be £35. Also if Expedia is wrong and there's no baggage allowance on the outbound, then the outbound fee would be £65 if I'm reading the table right.
If it is one ticket then it can't be HBO, HBO is not combinable. Technically an agent could plug 2 non combinable tickets together "illegally" but Expedia doesn't do that. I would read this as a BA non HBO ticket going out, and an AB non HBO coming back. Air Berlin may give you the BA allowance but I can see the agent in Rhodes would simply enforce AB's rules. Luckily AB is more or less the same as BA, with the exception of hand luggage.

Before booking with Expedia, give BA a ring to see if they can book the ticket for you, doesn't always work, but it may do, and it gives you a lot more protection if something goes wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it is one ticket then it can't be HBO, HBO is not combinable. Technically an agent could plug 2 non combinable tickets together "illegally" but Expedia doesn't do that. I would read this as a BA non HBO ticket going out, and an AB non HBO coming back. Air Berlin may give you the BA allowance but I can see the agent in Rhodes would simply enforce AB's rules. Luckily AB is more or less the same as BA, with the exception of hand luggage.

Before booking with Expedia, give BA a ring to see if they can book the ticket for you, doesn't always work, but it may do, and it gives you a lot more protection if something goes wrong.
Thank you for your reply. I spent some more time on this and it seems that Expedia is actually selling two one-way fares in one ticket. The outbound (LHR-BA-DUS-AB-RHO) is an AB Q fare that seems to include a bag and the return (RHO-BA-LGW) is a BA N fare that is HBO. Interestingly the outbound is not available on the AB site, which doesn't offer the BA flight. In any case, I think I will book these as two separate tickets to remove all uncertainty.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: BA
I am flying LHR-MXP tomorrow and also noticed that MMB baggage allowance is showing 1 bag although I'm silver. Not an issue as I don't need to check more than 1 but I thought it was odd. I booked through a corporate travel agent and my FF # was on the reservation at the time of booking.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lumpyseat
I am flying LHR-MXP tomorrow and also noticed that MMB baggage allowance is showing 1 bag although I'm silver. Not an issue as I don't need to check more than 1 but I thought it was odd. I booked through a corporate travel agent and my FF # was on the reservation at the time of booking.
Recent-ish glitch, Golds are seeing something similar too.

Newer threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ced-error.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-member.html

Older thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...cked-free.html

BA's own guidance is for once very clear and should guide you:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Sorry for this but...
I am OWE (QR) and flying BRU-LHR-YUL thus Euro Traveller+World Traveller
Euro Traveller Gold shows 2 pieces 32kg and World Traveller Gold shows 2 pieces 32 kg but mentions 3 pieces 32kg
I guess World Traveller applies to the whole trip but I am confused with the 2 versus 3 pieces in the topic.
MMB indeed shows only one bag (glitch) but lounge access LHR shows GF which corresponds to OWE status.
(any way I am happy with 2x32, got busted with AC last year checking in a 25kg bag at YUL, had to dump 2kg of presents, was not offered to pay excess weight as an after thought, I would have paid, bye bye AC...)

Last edited by tartempion; Feb 23, 2016 at 4:11 pm
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze
MMB baggage confusion

Lurker wondering if anyone can help with this query please...
Wife has LGW-MLE-CMB-MAA-LHR booked in economy but MAA-LHR in Club World (was WT+ but UuA). MLE-CMB-MAA is with Sri Lankan. Stopovers in MLE and CMB. It is all on one booking so assumed that Club World policy applies throughout. However the outbound LGW-MLE is only showing 1 x 23kg (rather than 3x32kg). On calling BA they gave various answers (!) but on speaking to a supervisor they stated LGW-MLE should be CW baggage allowance but they could not change the booking info or even email confirmation. Srilankan say they will match BA allowance so issue is with with BA. Any ideas on why the first leg should not receive CW baggage allowance? Flight in a couple of weeks and she doesn't want to be arguing at check-in... She is BA Bronze.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:33 am

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum, cdb_london, it is good to see you here and I hope you will continue to participate in this board.

It sounds like a facet of a long term glitch in MMB, there are various manifestations of it, here is another example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ced-error.html

As mentioned in that thread, you can be guided by Baggage Essentials on BA.com for the CW section, and it is indeed the case that UL should accept BA's limits on their sectors, though I don't have personal experience of that. I suspect the other sectors are perhaps causing the incorrect baggage to show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.