Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Considering this is the policy on most airlines, and I've only been able to do this once and already know the outright answer, if I am traveling in F and my father is in business, other then me going "down" to his class to visit, would there be anyway for my dad to visit upfront to sit and chat if for a little bit, not asking for meal or any service. Usually, the answer is no, but if there have been cases were the FAs were fine with it once for a few minutes.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Visits are permitted but the time needs to be agreed with the crew, the best time to do so would be just after takeoff when drinks are being served, the visitor should use the buddy seat.
Vistors shouldn’t stay too long, say 15 to 30 minutes and not cause and noise disturbance.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Sorry Mikefly, old post but wanted a little more info...were you travelling on your own? And is that why you perhaps didn't enjoy a middle seat?

We're travelling as a family of four on the 747 (JFK) at the moment I have 4E&F and 2A, 3A. But the cabin is pretty open and the four windows (A2, 3, 4, 5) are available, would you suggest that's better. Kids are independent (young teens).

I chose the middle pair, most likely for wife & daughter as I thought they'd enjoy the experience being together. First first for all as it stands, although I will likely have my first First a month before for business.
I find the E/F seats very exposed and pretty much no privacy screening - however on a day flight to JFK with family member next door this might not be a concern of your. I think many regulars on here would rather stay upstairs in 64A/K if offered a free upgrade to one of these seats - which says something about them...

If kids are independent, take all window seats and join each other for food / drink on the ottoman
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:11 am

Flying our first First next week on a 747. Currently in 5 E/F but 4E/F is free. Day time flight so not worried about sleeping and would like to be close to each other so we can chat. Should we stick with row 5 or move forward? 1A/K obviously not available, neither is row 2.
Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Have you checked to see if 1A/K is blocked rather than occupied ?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Wombler
Flying our first First next week on a 747. Currently in 5 E/F but 4E/F is free. Day time flight so not worried about sleeping and would like to be close to each other so we can chat. Should we stick with row 5 or move forward? 1A/K obviously not available, neither is row 2.
Thanks!
Personally I'd go forward. The reason I say that is because row 5 is aligned whereas row 4 middle seats are sort of between row 3 and 4 so a little staggered. Plus you're a little bit more forward from the galley.

Overall though there really isn't much in it and it's worth keeping an eye on the seat map. Don't print your BP's until as late as possible as this will allow you to change your seats in the event that the coveted 1A/K open up which is easily checked if you post your flight. Or if you don't want to post it then feel free to PM me and I can check if they are blocked or occupied.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I’ve always tried to avoid F on the 747 by either travelling on a different bird if available (I do like the 777 F product) or on the UD as it’s always looked so cramped, however necessity means I have finally booked a San Diego to Heathrow leg with there being no F availability from my preferred LAX on a 241 (managed to get the outbound into SJC on the 787 F).

We have been able to nab both 1A and 1K as we are both Gold luckily but we really like the Qantas F lounge at LAX. So CW upper deck on the A380 from LAX or 1A/K on the 747 from SAN? It’s not until Christmas so I will keep my eye out for LAX F availability, you never know!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
I’ve always tried to avoid F on the 747 by either travelling on a different bird if available (I do like the 777 F product) or on the UD as it’s always looked so cramped, however necessity means I have finally booked a San Diego to Heathrow leg with there being no F availability from my preferred LAX on a 241 (managed to get the outbound into SJC on the 787 F).

We have been able to nab both 1A and 1K as we are both Gold luckily but we really like the Qantas F lounge at LAX. So CW upper deck on the A380 from LAX or 1A/K on the 747 from SAN? It’s not until Christmas so I will keep my eye out for LAX F availability, you never know!
I'd come back in CW from LAX as it's an overnighter and save the Avios.

However there is availability just now on ba.com in F from LAX on the following dates (all 747 it seems) but not sure if that suits.

17th
23rd
24th
27th
29th
30th
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
I'd come back in CW from LAX as it's an overnighter and save the Avios.

However there is availability just now on ba.com in F from LAX on the following dates (all 747 it seems) but not sure if that suits.

17th
23rd
24th
27th
29th
30th
Thanks Peter, we might do CW, especially as the new bedding will be in by then. looking for F availability the first week of Jan 2019 from LAX, I imagine a busy time but you never know.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Gomac

Thanks Peter, we might do CW, especially as the new bedding will be in by then. looking for F availability the first week of Jan 2019 from LAX, I imagine a busy time but you never know.

Ah I see, nothing showing yet for the first apart of January but fingers crossed seats open up. CW overnight is still very good though and as a Scotsman I like to be thrifty with my Avios.

I would probably also sleep for 5-6 hours from LA but arguably F is a little bit of a better sleep back than CW.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Personally I'd go forward. The reason I say that is because row 5 is aligned whereas row 4 middle seats are sort of between row 3 and 4 so a little staggered. Plus you're a little bit more forward from the galley.

Overall though there really isn't much in it and it's worth keeping an eye on the seat map. Don't print your BP's until as late as possible as this will allow you to change your seats in the event that the coveted 1A/K open up which is easily checked if you post your flight. Or if you don't want to post it then feel free to PM me and I can check if they are blocked or occupied.
Thanks, that's very kind, I signed up to expert flyer and it's been changing a bit over the past few days. At present I think 1A is taken and 1K is blocked, i'f i'm reading it right. If they open up at online check in we will take them. we are on BA219 to Denver on the 29/01 but to be honest, just happy to be in first and sitting together without having to pay for seat allocations!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Visits are permitted but the time needs to be agreed with the crew, the best time to do so would be just after takeoff when drinks are being served, the visitor should use the buddy seat.
Vistors shouldn’t stay too long, say 15 to 30 minutes and not cause and noise disturbance.
Oh okay that sounds ideal then much appreciated, just curious what is the usual service schedule, post takeoff drinks and then meal starts ~hour after takeoff?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bernardh
We (2) currently have 1E/F reserved, but I’ve read here about a preference for row 2 - being further from the galley - but when I try to select these, I’m prevented because of the bassinet. Is this correct, or should I be able to select with the risk of being bumped later if an infant-toting passenger needs it?
Can anyone help with this question about the 789 please? (I got an answer to the other part of my question.)
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I find the E/F seats very exposed and pretty much no privacy screening - however on a day flight to JFK with family member next door this might not be a concern of your. I think many regulars on here would rather stay upstairs in 64A/K if offered a free upgrade to one of these seats - which says something about them...

If kids are independent, take all window seats and join each other for food / drink on the ottoman
Appreciate the help, thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by bernardh
We (2) currently have 1E/F reserved, but I’ve read here about a preference for row 2 - being further from the galley - but when I try to select these, I’m prevented because of the bassinet. Is this correct, or should I be able to select with the risk of being bumped later if an infant-toting passenger needs it?
I've never actually tried to reserve a F bassinet seat in advance, but if the situation is the same as CW, it would be correct that you are blocked because it's a bassinet. At T-72 you can reserve them (if not assigned to anyone), but you'd have to call, bassinets aren't usually reservable online until OLCI opens. Of course, even if you get them at T-72 you could still be moved for the infant, but you'd be fairly unlucky for this to happen.

Originally Posted by safari ari
Oh okay that sounds ideal then much appreciated, just curious what is the usual service schedule, post takeoff drinks and then meal starts ~hour after takeoff?
There are post departure drinks (and nuts). F is dine on demand, so the meal starts when you want it to. However, it's often not clear to the uninitiated, and if you don't specify a time (or at least say that you don't wish to dine immediately) when ordering, you'll get your first meal around an hour or so after takeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.