Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
First one in ages JFK-LHR the other night - both GGL.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Just done 4 sectors in J (2 s/h, 2 l/h) ... not a peep!

The CSM on the inbound l/h did run around with her iPad, but clearly we didn’t feature. She (and others) did however make a fuss on someone who apparently has designed the new menus. He seemed to disappear to F after we were airborne.

I know my place ...
But never lose heart .... all good things come to those who wait

On my most recent BA flight (MAH-LGW), the CSM was a particularly warm, charismatic individual. And although there was no special welcome on boarding, I was impressed with her originality & style as she handed over my meal tray (complete with salad).

Rather than a robotic iPad style message, she actually resorted to song, with the opening lyrics of Spandau Ballet’s ‘Gold’ :

Thank you for coming home
I’m sorry that the chairs are all worn
I left them here I could have sworn
These are my salad days
Slowly being eaten away ......

Was a nice flight !

dcmike, T8191, watersign and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
I prefer not to get any extra attention on board. Especially if it's just something the crew are being forced to do anyway though I don't mind organic chat with crew if it happens.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by u01sss3
I prefer not to get any extra attention on board. Especially if it's just something the crew are being forced to do anyway though I don't mind organic chat with crew if it happens.
well said! Couldn’t agree more. Interested in genuine and spontaneous NOT rehearsed and automatic.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:45 pm

Last week flying MAN-LHR-TXL in CE I was addressed by name on one of the legs, although I did not notice anyone else in a fairly full cabin receiving that courtesy. After several years as Silver, I am currently only Bronze and this trip was just in time to get the points to requalify as Bronze.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by bababa
What are your thoughts on being greeted by the csd on flights as a gold member?

Fine on long hauls I've found when they have for example got me a bottle of water when sitting in economy

But it makes me go bright red on a short haul when they come up to me and shake my hand in front of all the other passengers!
Maybe some people are into the ego massage?!
It seems to happen less and less but yes I agree, it's quite NI e to have the status recongnised but mildly embarrassing at the same time. I flew with my family and inlaws last year to CPH and got the Gold greeting, my inlaws asked my wife 'Wow, does he fly that often the crew know him personally' 🤣🤣
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Jed
I usually get a greeting when I’m in CE or CW. However, the greeting and offer of any special extras would really be meaningful in ET, when it has occurred only once (on boarding rather than once seated) out of perhaps 20 ET flights over the past 3 years.

Contrast this with Finnair, where I have almost exclusively flown short haul economy between LHR-HEL on at least 8 occasions over the past 3 years and as a BA gold, I have received a personal greeting at my seat every time by the CSM and also on each and every flight, have had a free mini bottle of champagne served in a Marimekko glass. 👍
Fair point, I'd say my hit rate on other OW airlines for personal greetings is way better than BA, almost every time on QR, AA and AY....... Generally given free food and drink in domestic AA economy as well.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:04 am

Came back HER-LGW Monday evening. The CSM rushed past me with the Ipad then rushed back up front to CE and ignored me for the whole flight. Situation normal for BA.
wemyss and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The chances of having a GCH greeting are extremely slim on very cardholder heavy overnight flights, after I have said hello to customers in First and delivered any proactive messages I am responsible for taking half of the dinner orders in CW, I’m sure customers would prefer a quick meal delivery over a awkward chat with me.
I agree 100% with this. I’ve had as many as 70 Prem/GoldGuestList/Gold introductions all on one flight plus the usual First and Personal messages to deliver. I always encourage my crew to ensure they make sure GCHs always have their first choice of meal in every cabin and a “Welcome back Mr/Mrs X” etc. But sometimes I have to devote my time to ensuring I’m part of the service in Club World or dealing with major issues elsewhere such as IFE failure for example. I do make effort whenever possible to personally introduce myself but this will usually be a more organic kind of conversation for example during my regular walk arounds or towards the end of the flight to ask them how the service was for them and it’s a pleasure to have them back onboard with us.
Rest assured, we do appreciate you guys contributing to keeping us in a job and the huge amounts of money that are spent on flying as much as you do.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Probably easier not to get involved . Half don't want it, half feel embarressed and that leaves 0. You have more than enough dealing with exrta duties in Club World, stepping over folk's feet to get them drinks. The world of BA...
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Four long hall sectors in the last two weeks, with a real mixture of seating (2 x WT, 1 x WTP, 1 x CW) and strangely I got a welcome both times in WT

What is a little strange is in CW the cabin was only about 1/2 full but no greeting and didn't see CSM on the whole flight.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by andrewr1985
Four long hall sectors in the last two weeks, with a real mixture of seating (2 x WT, 1 x WTP, 1 x CW) and strangely I got a welcome both times in WT

What is a little strange is in CW the cabin was only about 1/2 full but no greeting and didn't see CSM on the whole flight.

Same for me last week traveling CW as GC. Cabin half empty LHR/JFK on a 777. No personal greeting, however, excellent service throughout the flight! No rationing on the beverages an was offered desert and cheese after the delicious main.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I would like to thank those of you just smile at me when I say hello and say thank you for coming to say hello, job done, if you want to chat brilliant if you don’t also brilliant as I have much to do.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Interestingly on a LHR-ARN flight on Thursday got a welcome, a handshake, my meal order taken and served drinks at least 5 minutes before anyone else - was sat in 1D. Then on the return on Friday got the welcome again plus a handshake and meal order and drinks first. Getting served quite so ahead of everyone else was a tad embarrassing as the guy in 1F seemed concerned about it but I actually welcome the greeting if it is done in a genuine fashion
ATCOlad likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'll give a different angle on this as a Blue;

I flew earlier in the year from LUX-LHR, the CE cabin was 4 rows if I remember rightly, after boarding, the Purser/CSM (I'm not sure what the correct term is) proceeded to walk through the cabin with the iPad, quite obviously looking for Golds in the cabin (of which there were several), did the handshake and greeting etc, and walked past my row several times and I was completely blanked.

I'm not saying that loyalty shouldn't be recognised, but when there were several high status holding passengers in a small cabin, it came across as very poorly executed, and had I not been informed of this procedure by the presence of this forum, would have felt quite insulted. There are ways and means, and it struck me as indiscreet and quite robotic.

Compare it an experience I had with LATAM on the MAD-FRA run, the cabin manager personally introduced herself to every business class passenger, at their seat after boarding and offered a drink. I daresay for status holders there may be some variation as to how that greeting may be carried out and what may be said to you etc, but the point was that there was no visible difference in how people were treated. THAT is how it should be done. Discretion is the key!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.