Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Gold member personal greeting

What are your thoughts on being greeted by the csd on flights as a gold member?

Fine on long hauls I've found when they have for example got me a bottle of water when sitting in economy

But it makes me go bright red on a short haul when they come up to me and shake my hand in front of all the other passengers!
Maybe some people are into the ego massage?!
Old May 29, 2014, 4:57 am

It's happened to me just twice on over 100 segments (since I started tracking it), so I'm not all that bothered about it!
Old May 29, 2014, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by bababa

Fine on long hauls I've found when they have for example got me a bottle of water when sitting in economy

But it makes me go bright red on a short haul when they come up to me and shake my hand in front of all the other passengers!
I've only had it once on short haul in the last 2 years and it was a subtle "you obviously fly with us a lot so just ask if there is anything we can do for you" which I didn't find uncomfortable or embarrassing but as I say, it was very subtle.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by bababa

I get greeted by the SCCM as a 'OWE' flying on Cathay much more frequently than a Gold on BA
Old May 29, 2014, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A short sharp greeting with the offer to help is much appreciated since it tells me that the CSD is more likely to treat me as a valued passenger, rather than self-loading cargo (please pardon the hyperbole). What I don't like is the gushy, kneeling-in-front-of-me five minute speech about loyalty that I had on a flight on Tuesday. It makes me cringe.
the810 likes this.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 29, 2014 at 5:55 am
Old May 29, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
when we were on our way back from LAS in March and just achieved silver we were in WT+. and was greeted by the CSD by name and offered any assistance we needed. We found that to be nice touch, but our fellow travellers in the seats in front were not so happy as they tutted loudly and the seat was reclined as soon as the seatbelt sign went off and stayed that way until the seat belt went on for landing that made us smile.
John
Old May 29, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'd enjoy it when you get it. Hardly ever happens to me.

For short haul it doesn't matter at all anyway in truth I am hardly likely to suddenly require something on a short haul flight which would require the intervention of the SCCM. However on long haul, it's a nice touch when it happens.

I don't really worry about other passengers' reactions either way - it's not something I have initiated - and if I really needed something or had a problem where i wanted to talk to the SCCM, I assume they would have a quick iPad check before asking them to come and see me anyway.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I have had it twice in CW, once in F, a few times in ET and zero times in WT and WT+. It's completely inconsistent.

Funnily enough I flew SYD-CNS and back last year on a full QF 767 in Y and got greeted in both directions, I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if other OW carriers generally do a better job of it.
nivsy likes this.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:02 am

Not Gold, but I'm about 10 TP away from Bronze. Was greeted by head purser by name and he also thanked me for flying a lot with them recently. This was a flight from LHR-DUB.

He had his iPad with him, so it must have notified him somehow.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Had it once as a blue and never again since...

I am ignored in Domestics, ET, WT and CW as a gold.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Only once had it on BA (in F). I agree with the comments that on short-haul I'd be unlikely to need anything anyway but that it's a nice touch on long-haul. Again, I'd prefer a quick message than some random spiel the one time I did get it which was something about thanking me for booking via BA Holidays.

I've had recognition of Oneworld Emerald status (from BA Gold) on other Oneworld airlines though.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Had a fantastic one in WT flying to the US recently - several greetings by name from different staff, and a gratefully accepted glass of fizz and box of chocolates

I find it happens far more often long-haul than short-haul but it's also totally unpredictable.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:50 am

On a recent LH flight from FRA I was addressed by name by one of the cabin crew during the meal or drink service. I have no direct staus with LH but am an Aegean *A Gold.

And the overhead lockers in LH have notices saying they are for J passengers only.

And at the gate there was pre-boarding scrutiny of your boarding pass so when priority boarding commenced there was no waiting. Alas, spoilt by having to scan your boarding pass at a barrier which created something of a queue.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Greeted by name on a shorthaul from Edinburgh to Heathrow recently when crew serving drinks. Sat in seat 1c so also greeted by name while waiting to disembark. I think it makes the whole experience more personal.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:55 am

Had it on a GVA - was dressed in sloppy civvies in 3A. Was the only one - and Silver at the time.

Nice enough from CC, but the disbelief and cut-eye from the surrounding suits was palpable! Bit embarrassing on balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.