Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
Also is G a fixed fare per destination, or is it a range? eg. HAJ always seems to be about a £20 fare + tax.
The easiest way to check this, if you have an EF subscription, is to use Fare Information search. Put in your origin and destination, any random current dates (eg today or tomorrow) into both the outbound and inbound date boxes, limit your search to BA and G class, and check the box to search fares for all travel dates. This should return a listing of all valid G class fares for any travel dates. You can then drill down a bit further if you want to see the reasons for any differences between them, if there are any.

Having a quick look at HAJ using this, there are basically two levels of G class fare. Each level has a Saturday variant and a Sunday variant, but the fares are the same for both days. The differences appear to be related to which flights can be used. I haven't done a cross-check against the timetable, but my guess would be that the cheaper fares are more limiting on which flights can be used.

If you have a list of destinations that you're interested in, using ITA can be a more powerful search than Google Flights, especially if you're only really interested in the G class weekend day trip fares because you can limit your search to those using the advanced controls. But if you do this, remember to deduct £8 each way from the ITA quote to get what ba.com will quote, because of the GDS fee that's included in the ITA quote.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onobond
I wonder if there is a time frame when G fares are loaded ...
I don't keep a close eye on them, but whenever I look I seem to find that G class fares are loaded. So I suspect that they always are.

Instead, what constrains your ability to use them is G class availability, and as far as I can see that is done on the usual revenue management basis, ie you can't tell. Some people report being able to find availability at short notice but not a bit further out, but I've just seen some for Germany in November.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't keep a close eye on them, but whenever I look I seem to find that G class fares are loaded. So I suspect that they always are.

Instead, what constrains your ability to use them is G class availability, and as far as I can see that is done on the usual revenue management basis, ie you can't tell. Some people report being able to find availability at short notice but not a bit further out, but I've just seen some for Germany in November.
It depends, and it is very hard to predict I'd say. Sometimes they are available at very short notice, <24h, and sometimes very far out, as you mention.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
weekends in LUX can be a bit sleepy. Weekdays too I suppose! ... LUX I think is quite a long day, potentially so random suggestion: hop on the bus or train to Trier - pretty ride to a lovely German city. Favourite CWS eatplace in Luxembourg is Mousel's Cantine.
What's there to do in Trier? Any tips/lunch/beverage recommendations? ...with my scheduled travels I was 10 TPs short of Gold, so I have a (week)day return trip to LUX booked in September for just £51.60 - with champagne brekkie in the T3 CX F lounge, that's what I'd call a result!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:52 am

You can see the Porta Nigra (roman remains) in the city centre. Last time I was there we ate at a wine bar opposite the cathedral which had a lovely garden, definitely recommended (https://www.weinstube-kesselstatt.de/)
kt74 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kt74
What's there to do in Trier? Any tips/lunch/beverage recommendations? ...with my scheduled travels I was 10 TPs short of Gold, so I have a (week)day return trip to LUX booked in September for just £51.60 - with champagne brekkie in the T3 CX F lounge, that's what I'd call a result!
Trier is the oldest city in what is now Germany, with a renown university and it has a thriving city centre within a short walking distance from the railway and bus station. LUX is connected by direct coaches 30 miles away, and you can also just catch the regular train services between Trier and Luxembourg stations, the LUX airport shuttle passing by the station. In addition to Porta Nigra, which is right by the centre, there is the cathedral (Dom) which is just about the oldest European church north of the Alps (it was rebuilt by the Vikings!) and combines Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architecture. Another sight to consider is the townhouse where Karl Marx was born. More generally there is a very pleasant pedestrian area and many good places to sit outdoors, have your tipple of choice and admire city life going on around you.

BA usually have an early and late service into LUX so a typical day could involve the ride to Trier (in itself an attractive one, either by the motorway or by rail), a couple of hours walking around the city centre, lunch somewhere, visiting the Dom and perhaps Karl Marx's home, a visit to Judengasse, in the former Jewish quarter, to admire the old buildings (look upwards!), perhaps a bit of shopping (beer mugs....) then taking a train / coach perhaps a bit before you need, and having a bit of lounge wind-down time in LUX. If you go at least one way by rail then you can also have a bit of a peek at Luxembourg city as you go through.

My list of places in Trier includes Brunnenhof by the Porta (my notes say "tourist trap but a nice one!"), Coyote Cafe ("best in the evening, but open for lunch"), Christis ("homemade ice cream using fruit directly, and coffee"). However the place is covered in cafés and restaurants, so I'm sure you can amble around and find your own selection.

I'm just going to ping in @travelwithross since I think he also knows the place.
kt74 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
If anyone sees any good weekend day trip fares then let me know, EF showing certain usual routes for G fare availability but ba.com showing way higher prices - should I call instead and give the fare basis? I should stay in London with the great weather right now, but I long for a day trip somewhere!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:02 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Thanks @corporate-wage-slave

Trier is one of my favourite cities especially as a teenager/kid. It's especially rich in Roman heritage and history

Sights:
-Aula Palatina - Basilica of Constantine - from the 4th Century. The Ceiling is magnificent.
-Roman Bridge - A 2nd Century Bridge that still exists today, over the Moselle. Oldest standing bridge in Germany.
-Imperial Baths - Constructed in 4th Century, and also part of UNESCO World Heritage. If you are lucky, live actors do sport reenactments in the bath grounds.
-A wee bit away - but reachable, is Eltz Castle. It's a truly magnificent castle, and the architecture is amazing - also makes for some fantastic instagram opportunities.

Food/Drink:
Weinstube Kesselstatt - This old-style Weinstube is my relaxing place for a tipple and bite to eat - excellent food (think simple and hearty), spectacular grounds, and inside the walls/wine/barrels make for a wonderful sight. If you don't already know, Trier is full of vineyards, which line the Moselle, Saar, and Ruwer Rivers. Grape specialties found here are Auxerrois Blanc and Müller-Thurgau, and the other varieties are Gamay, Gewürztraminer, Meunier, Pinot noir, Pinot blanc, Pinot gris and Riesling.
Soup here is good - Linseneintopf mit Einlage/Würstchen usually.

Aom Ecken - If you want a truly authentic experience, you won't go wrong here. Full of locals. They also have amazing homemade apple wine. The chef is a 74 years old. My recommendation: Try the mushroom and cheese covered pork with spargel (white asparagus).

Wine Booth - Main Market - open from 10am-10pm, you can usually get a glass of wine, or sparkling wine, from the vintners from Trier - menus change weekly as do the vintners. Costs around 10EUR for a tasting and snack. Hic!
kt74 and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Thanks dp1586, CWS and travelwithross - very looking forward to my trip now!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA usually have an early and late service into LUX
Originally Posted by travelwithross
Wine Booth - Main Market - open from 10am-10pm, you can usually get a glass of wine, or sparkling wine, from the vintners from Trier - menus change weekly as do the vintners. Costs around 10EUR for a tasting and snack. Hic!
This sounds dangerous!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Enjoy.. I’ve done ZRH twice before and usually take the train into town and the little train up to the top of Utileberg mountain so I opted for GVA despite the 767 being on the ZRH to LHR sector.
Originally Posted by squawk
Zurich is great, one of my favourite cities - very picturesque, walkable, and with an excellent integrated public transport system. Uetliberg is great for the views. I would also recommend taking the Polybahn from Central up towards ETH for something a bit different, then wandering back through the old town/Limmatquai to the lake, where you could have a relaxed ice cream or beer. Then walk back along Stadthausquai, popping your head into Fraumünster, and along Bahnhoffstrasse to the main station. Tempted to book a day trip myself now!
Thanks guys, and apologies for not replying sooner, I only just saw your replies.
Zurich was lovely on Saturday. I have been 4 times since December, but Saturday was actually the first time I made it into town in many years.
The other times recently I got as far as the local airport hotels.

Got a day ticket for local trains for around CHF 13 and took the train 2 stops to Hauptbahnhof, then walked down Bahnhofstrasse (main shopping street), past Storchen Hotel (hotel goals for another visit), over the bridge across the Limmat, down Bellerivestrasse, stop at Molino for ice cream, back through the old town to Hauptbahnhof with enough time for Aspire lounge dinner and plane spotting on the terrace. Zurich really is perfect for a day trip, especially in the Summer. Only negative are the local prices for just about anything, but they didn't come as a surprise.
Next time I'll try the trains you suggested for the views, now that I have done the city centre route : )
rossmacd, KeaneJohn and squawk like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Relatively slim pickings this weekend and next as the Summer is upon us. FRA is available on 7/7 though - instead of heading to Frankfurt city though, are there options in the other direction? Wiesbaden and Mainz seem to be easyish to get to - any recommendations?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
FRA is available on 7/7 though - instead of heading to Frankfurt city though, are there options in the other direction? Wiesbaden and Mainz seem to be easyish to get to - any recommendations?
Wiesbaden is probably more attractive than Mainz. But depending on how you're planning to get around, it might be more interesting still to go a bit further along to either Ruedesheim or Bingen.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
These fares really do come and go! I wanted a day out this Saturday, so booked LUX yesterday because it was either that, ZRH or GVA, and I don't think I can afford lunch in Switzerland... Then checked again today and both NCE and LIN have appeared (although with a 3pm return for LIN).

I'd rather have had a day on the Cote d'Azur than in LUX, but nevermind. At least I can enjoy breakfast in the CX J lounge...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by travelwithross
Thanks @corporate-wage-slave

Trier is one of my favourite cities especially as a teenager/kid. It's especially rich in Roman heritage and history
Thanks @corporate-wage-slave and @travelwithross. I remember seeing this comment about Trier a few months ago. Woke up this morning to find some cheap g-class day return flights to LUX for tomorrow. Figured I will go out to Trier this time.

My history is not that great and had no idea Karl Marx was born in Trier. I only happened to visit Highgate Cemetery yesterday!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Just had one of those to Stuttgart. Enough time for the Porsche and Mercedes museum and some proper German food in the city centre... will be trying another one soon enough Booked a day into Zurich for November too, a month or so in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.