Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: ABBA
So what happened to the "it can't happen due to customs" issue?

T1 domestic lounge is shutting, t1 is losing flights a lot - bhd, dub, and tlv all moving. Are any moving out of t5?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:55 am

As expected and long overdue for us flying from DUB BHD . With the nicely refurbished lounge at BHD and easier connections and T5 lounges it will certainly be a welcome change .
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Did anyone say that it can't happen? The debate was really about what would need to be done in order to make it work at T5, given the hybrid nature (part-domestic, part-international) of an arrival from DUB.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Nice bit of news for Irish customers
That's a nice bit of news for anyone heading to DUB to start an ex-EU flight as well!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Takes away any advantage EI would have been getting with shiny new T2 soon (July I believe). Guessing it'll be much better for aircraft utilisation (no more moving planes from green mile etc)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Takes away any advantage EI would have been getting with shiny new T2 soon (July I believe). Guessing it'll be much better for aircraft utilisation (no more moving planes from green mile etc)
It certainly will be interesting to see the effect on the BA codeshares. Obviously passengers will want to have a T5-T5 connection rather than a T2-T5 connection. It will effect min connection times etc...
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:18 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B601 Safari/9537.53)

It's good news not just for lounge access and ease of connections but will also hopefully improve the on time performance which dropped hugely from BMI'a days IME.

Also indicates the naysayers (of which I was one of many!) that thought both routes were slot-sitters may be wrong.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:00 am

It is indeed good news, eagle eyed observers may notice some works on various gates to facilitate the move.

Terminal 5 will see the arrival of flights from Belfast and Dublin for the first time from October 2014.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Mighty ^

Roll on October
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Not before time!

Originally Posted by paulwuk
BHD was never an issue; DUB can in the worst case be dealt with the same way as at LGW by treating as international arrival (so using gates A7 or A19) and then having a little side lane taking people past UKBA on showing their inward boarding passes. The more sensible thing to do would be for the DfT to inspect DUB's security and certify it meets the UK's standards, then take people in to the low A-gates. Outbound, DUB flights would need to have biometrics taken.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:43 am

In the press today.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-29987333.html
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by stifle
Not before time!

BHD was never an issue; DUB can in the worst case be dealt with the same way as at LGW by treating as international arrival (so using gates A7 or A19) and then having a little side lane taking people past UKBA on showing their inward boarding passes. The more sensible thing to do would be for the DfT to inspect DUB's security and certify it meets the UK's standards, then take people in to the low A-gates. Outbound, DUB flights would need to have biometrics taken.
Couldn't people swap boarding passes in the immigration hall though?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Isn't this going to cause a bit of a capacity crunch at the domestic end of the terminal? On a random Wednesday in November the following flights leave between about 6:30 and 8:00

2x MAN
1x LBA
2x GLA
2x EDI
1x BHD
1x ABZ
2x DUB

That's 11 flights from the 8 or so contact stands that can deal with domestics. I smell bussing.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by BA6501
Couldn't people swap boarding passes in the immigration hall though?
They already can at LGW and STN. Easier still is for a passenger who can transit but not enter the UK to book XXX-LGW-YYY (XXX and YYY both outside the common travel area) and also DUB-LGW arriving around the same time, OLCI for the DUB-LGW and turn that boarding pass in to get out.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by sigma421
That's 11 flights from the 8 or so contact stands that can deal with domestics. I smell bussing.
Nope, see my initial post above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.