Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by layz
You've enhanced away an 'n'!

Isn't Heineken the best selling lager brand in Ireland?
I only ever have at most one pint a year, so can't be expected to know how its spelled!

I suspect so, or Fosters or similar.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was connecting from MUC to TLS today, so we ended up arriving on gate 20. As I was about to head off to Flight Connections I saw that the new Dublin double doors for Gates 22 and 23 have been put in place, in fact there were some workmen on it while I was there (but who were willing to be persuaded to take a tea break, the HAL rep. felt more constrained to remain in place). This is the (rather shaky) view from gate 20 looking towards 23.

So this gives a good clue as to how DUB arrivals will work: arrivals via a new corridor to Customs on the right side of this corridor, avoiding the UK Border. International connections through the double doors, UK connections could be that route if they have a passport, otherwise it's via arrivals (and probably amounts to the same time either way).

Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: ABBA
If you're transferring to DUB from wherever, do you go through uk passport control?

I assume this means DUB is the only short haul arrival guaranteed not to be bussed.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulwuk
If you're transferring to DUB from wherever, do you go through uk passport control?

I assume this means DUB is the only short haul arrival guaranteed not to be bussed.
It will be the UK Domestic Flight Connection, which will now extend to the Common Travel Area as it currently does in T1. HMG reserves the right to impose passport checks to everywhere, except Ireland, but HMG sincerely hopes it never has to do it (headcount issues).

The bus point is interesting. It could be handled in theory with relatively minor layout changes at the south east corner of the building, but the risk of contamination would be so great that I suspect your theory is actually correct.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It will be the UK Domestic Flight Connection, which will now extend to the Common Travel Area as it currently does in T1. HMG reserves the right to impose passport checks to everywhere, except Ireland, but HMG sincerely hopes it never has to do it (headcount issues).

The bus point is interesting. It could be handled in theory with relatively minor layout changes at the south east corner of the building, but the risk of contamination would be so great that I suspect your theory is actually correct.
UK Domestic connections? So there will be no security for DUB pax?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
UK Domestic connections? So there will be no security for DUB pax?
I wasn't very clear there: the UK Border in Flight Connections for UK flights! As opposed to domestic connections for domestic flights. Not sure I'm helping!

So: if you are going Belfast or Manchester to Dublin: no passports, no security at T5, you did it in Manchester/Belfast, you just go up the escalators by gate 5. Superb transit.

If going Paris to Dublin: Flight Connections, UK Border by gate 9. So passports then security.

Dublin to Paris: Flight Connections by gate 9, then security, but no UK Border or passports, but the BA agent may ask to see it at conformance.

Dublin to Belfast: Probably landside via Customs and then in again from Departure, however if you have a passport in theory you can go via Flight Connections gate 9, passport and security.

Any other combinations?????
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: ABBA
How about Dublin to Dublin with stuff you don't want to import into the uk (need to avoid customs), but you don't have a passport.

I assume that the Dublin pax exit gate 24 into the international bag reclaim, then pass through the blue channel?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes you do.
How about Dublin to Dublin with stuff you don't want to import into the uk (need to avoid customs), but you don't have a passport.
I doubt there is any way to accomplish this. I should be surprised if the situation described were to occur even once every week or two. It probably was not taken into material consideration when they designed the route for passengers arriving from DUB.

I assume that the Dublin pax exit gate 24 into the international bag reclaim, then pass through the blue channel?
I didn't think there was a gate 24, but my understanding is yes passengers arriving from Dublin will have the choice of going directly to international baggage reclaim or else mixing with international arriving passengers and taking any of the routes available to them.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
On a related note BCN is apparently going back to T3 on 26 October which is a bit of a pain (for the entirely selfish reason that it's easier to get from my house to T5 and I fly to BCN from time to time).
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:44 am

Sorry to drag this back up, but I've been (speculatively) pricing a November trip to New York this morning (DUB-LHR-JFK/EWR) - I'm not going to book just yet, as I'm hoping that there perhaps might be a sale in the coming months, but I do need some potential travel plans to look forward to when I come back from summer holidays. Anyway, the majority of the itineraries generated by BA for the JFK flights have between an hour and 1.5 hours connection time between the Dublin flight and the Heathrow one. I presume this is because Irish flights are moving from T1 to T5, and so a shorter connection is sufficient. However, an hour is right at the minimum connection time, and even 1.5 hours seems kind of...tight, given that - I imagine, from what I have gleaned from this thread - Republic of Ireland arrivals would have to reclear security and do some form of immigration checks etc. Even with the padding of arrival times from DUB, and with Fast Track, I'd be a bit concerned about that connection. Plus, no time in the lounge

I'm guessing this is to make a US connection more desirable for DUB passengers, who might otherwise be tempted away by the many direct flights and of course the pre-clearance (count Mr DubBAFlyer amongst those, who is strongly resisting flying BA when we can fly EI direct).
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by DubBAFlyer
Sorry to drag this back up, but I've been (speculatively) pricing a November trip to New York this morning (DUB-LHR-JFK/EWR) - I'm not going to book just yet, as I'm hoping that there perhaps might be a sale in the coming months, but I do need some potential travel plans to look forward to when I come back from summer holidays. Anyway, the majority of the itineraries generated by BA for the JFK flights have between an hour and 1.5 hours connection time between the Dublin flight and the Heathrow one. I presume this is because Irish flights are moving from T1 to T5, and so a shorter connection is sufficient. However, an hour is right at the minimum connection time, and even 1.5 hours seems kind of...tight, given that - I imagine, from what I have gleaned from this thread - Republic of Ireland arrivals would have to reclear security and do some form of immigration checks etc. Even with the padding of arrival times from DUB, and with Fast Track, I'd be a bit concerned about that connection. Plus, no time in the lounge

I'm guessing this is to make a US connection more desirable for DUB passengers, who might otherwise be tempted away by the many direct flights and of course the pre-clearance (count Mr DubBAFlyer amongst those, who is strongly resisting flying BA when we can fly EI direct).
Security yes; immigration no. On that basis 1.5 hours is adequate to do a T5 to T5 connection, even without fast track.

However, like you, I do enjoy some lounge time so I'd book an earlier DUB flight or later NYC flight to allow for that.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There should be no immigration checks on arrivals from DUB at T5.

As long as you are not trying to connect to the last BA flight of the day to JFK, I don't see that you have much to worry about. If you miss the flight ( and it's unlikely that you would, I think!) you can go on a later same-day JFK flight.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:11 pm

Was on a flight a few weeks ago and turned out my seat mate was someone who worked on this very project! A very interesting person to chat to and got the run down on this new CTA channel.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:06 pm

The move to T5 can't come quick enough. Have been sitting on the 1420 to BHD for 30mins (delayed 55mins and counting).

A sheepish Captain has just stepped into the cabin to tell us there are no baggage handlers to unload the bags from the inbound.....which arrived 55mins ago.

Such advanced muppetry I've never seen.

Actually, scratch that. On the way to the gate (77) the green mile airlock doors were closed to let the inbound pax through. This pushed pax right back to the moving walkway. You can imagine what happened next.... It got quite dangerous as the crush backed up onto the walkway and one lady fell quite badly.

Why didn't someone push the emergency stop you ask? Well it was surrounded by a Grade A HAL muppet with a string of new staff on what looked like an induction tour.

Instead of pushing the stop button that was 2 feet from his hand, he turned to his inductees and loudly proclaimed "this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that can happen when a few inbounds come in at the same time.... It's really quite dangerous", whilst various people were attempting to run back down the travelator the wrong way, help those that had fallen up etc.

Honestly, where do the find these people?!
Old May 23, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Surely passengers arriving from DUB won't HAVE to go landslide to connect to onward domestic flights? This could make things difficult for those who have purchaed duty free booze for example. Have I just read some of the posts in thus thread incorrectly or is this landslide connection something that is likely to happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.