Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Strange to say but I shall miss the Green Mile.

Not the walk.

Not the awful arrangement of doors shut across walkways for arrivals.

But the frisson of getting there and knowing everyone's going "over the water".

In terms of T5, the easiest way to manage changes is to land flights in internationals, then have a sign saying "Republic of Ireland passengers follow the blue triangle" - you then show your boarding pass to bypass UKBA. This allows a customs channel but bypasses passport control. All you'd need is a CTA door.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
As much complaining as I read here about the security queues and other procedures at T-5 is this really a step up? I usually arrive on DL or UA and leaving to BHD at T-1 seems a lot easier than my previous dealings with T-5. The all around hassle of getting to T-5 and the bussing to the EDI flights comes to mind. I'm certainly aware that it will be easier for the BA connections but I can't see it as a big win for those just going point to point for business and such. Isn't the check in cut off for these flights at T-1 either 30 or 45 min? They certainly can't allow that to continue at T-5.
45 mins - security conformance at T5 is 35 mins. The easier connections for BA to BA is presumably one of the reasons to do this. Will people stick with a non-BA flight transatlantic and then use BA, or just go the whole way through (guessing more traffic to be picked up this way, especially originating traffic in DUB and BHD)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Thanks, that sounds quite positive - I'm generally driving and coming off the M25, so T5 will save me about 5-10 mins there; and the rest of the connections sound pretty seamless. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to T5, never even made it to the Flounge yet!
The Flounge is far from security (or at least a long journey) and is the wrong place for domestics too. But I'm sure you'll get there at some point.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Good news, overall, that these flights are moving

No doubt this is good news - especially in terms of enabling smoother and faster connections as well as access to the best lounges!

However, there is a downside, in terms of the relative convenience offered by T1 for point-to-point domestic flights (transport options to LON, short security queues, not far to walk from security-lounge-gate).

But overall, I'm definitely pretty happy about this!
^
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
No doubt this is good news - especially in terms of enabling smoother and faster connections as well as access to the best lounges!

However, there is a downside, in terms of the relative convenience offered by T1 for point-to-point domestic flights (transport options to LON, short security queues, not far to walk from security-lounge-gate).

But overall, I'm definitely pretty happy about this!
^
Ever been down the green mile - not my definition of 'not far to walk'!

(Though I know you said domestic)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ardboe
Just picked up on twitter that Willie Walsh has announced from October all Dublin and Belfast flights will depart and arrive from T5, for those of us on the Island it should make transferring that little bit nicer.
UK mainland is also an island
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Ever been down the green mile - not my definition of 'not far to walk'!

(Though I know you said domestic)
sadly, yes! Quite a few times - either because I chose EI to save some money or courtesy of BA using those gates for several evening BHD flights mostly recently) mad:

But, I'll stick by my generalisation that access to/from BHD flights (when not connecting) in T1 is usually convenient ... while acknowledging that overall I'm very pleased about the move to T5.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by BHDATC
Having done the T5-T1 connection today coming in from MUC on to BHD I can honestly say roll on October. What an absolute pain. Took me 40 minutes.

Also adding my wish for a BHD-LGW schedule. BA could be doing with upping the 6 flights a day from BHD as it stands, they are always packed.
Assuming T5 - T5 connections, there'll be a reduction in MCT to 60 mins from 90. This should make a big difference to connections available, particularly in the evening. With the present situation it's hard to connect to evening Europe or TATL flights without leaving BHD early in the day. Equally difficult coming home in the evening with neither MCT and curfew helping!

Let's hope for a return to the heyday of 8 rotations a day to further help connections!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
45 mins - security conformance at T5 is 35 mins. The easier connections for BA to BA is presumably one of the reasons to do this. Will people stick with a non-BA flight transatlantic and then use BA, or just go the whole way through (guessing more traffic to be picked up this way, especially originating traffic in DUB and BHD)
What is the security conformance exactly? Is that check in at BA kiosk 35 min prior to departure (no bags) or is this the much discussed deal where you must pass the security entrance by that time perhaps??
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Check in and drop your bag by 45 minutes before departure, and have scanned your boarding pass at the entrance to security by 35 minutes before departure.

The 35 minutes is reduced to a secret smaller number if you are connecting at LHR.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Flights from Dublin will use gates 22 and 23 and from Belfast 1 to 8.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Its just a bit of preplanning by BA. Remember that flights to Scotland will become international flights post March 2016. What are they going to do with all these domestic gates after that?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC GCL
Originally Posted by ratechaser
On the face of it, good news, although I'm curious about what the end to end time from T5 to plane will be compared with T1. For example, I can arrive at T1 around 5.40-5.45 for my regular 6.35am to BHD and still get enough time in the lounge for a quick bowl of porridge and a coffee.

I'm guessing that more time will be needed at T5 to make that feasible? At that time of the morning, every extra minute in bed counts!
I think this has to be good news overall as long as the percentage of remote stands used at T5 is less than the seemingly increasing use by BA of the gates at the end of the green mile in T1.

I will miss the T1 Bus Pkg + mini bus drivers banter and the nostalgic drive through the tunnel to get to T1 but I'm sure I will get used to the pods.

ratechaser I'll be able to see if it takes more time at T5. BA have cut that 6.35 LHR/BHD for the next couple of weeks so I am taking the 6.45 to MAN and onwards with Flybe to BHD this week..
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The change has also been reflected in the GDS timetables.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Flights from Dublin will use gates 22 and 23 and from Belfast 1 to 8.
Which means that Belfast will go to domestics, DUB will go to the final 2 gates of T5A (23 is used for feeding people landside from airside). So this suggests Flight Connections will be the same as for normal international transfers.

Other arriving DUB passengers will either use the standard UK Border; alternatively have a special channel there as there was for LGW; or - and I actually think this is possible, a new corridor will open up, to pass passengers landside via a police control point and on to baggage reclaim, but thereby avoiding the UK Border. Why do I suggest that? Due to the choice of those particular 2 gates, which allows for an easy control to prevent mixing with the wrong sort of connection passengers at the end of that particular corridor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.