Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin102
Its just a bit of preplanning by BA. Remember that flights to Scotland will become international flights post March 2016.
I know your comment was made in jest, but if our immigration or airline security policies start to diverge we could see some very bodged arrangements at T5 for dealing with "domestics".

So business as usual.

Originally Posted by martin102
What are they going to do with all these domestic gates after that?
Core services frequencies will be increased. e.g., LHR-LBA
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:26 pm

Just put them through international arrivals. That's what happens in Dublin.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by layz
BHD and DUB may be the only ones planned for T5, the others may be making their way to T3 but it's possible BA don't want to schedule a move just yet, preferring to wait until a number of Star Alliance airlines move out.

Also HAH/HAL might have some work to do in the check-in, gate areas, etc when a number of airlines move out so BA wants that complete before they move any flights to T3.
I wonder whether BA might even get some airbridge stands as part of the change? All T3 departures are currently bussed.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by Poxball
Is there another arrivals route at DUB, other than through Passport control ?

I've ever only seen the one route to arrive at in DUB.

Granted I've never flown internally in Ireland, not even sure you can do so anymore? So are all flights are in essence arriving from "abroad" ?

So maybe they took the simple approach & lumped all arrivals into the one area. Why build a domestic arrivals channel when there's little or no need for it.

If I'm not mistaken, ORK is designed the same, with only one route, through PP control, to arrive into baggage claim.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by kered

Granted I've never flown internally in Ireland, not even sure you can do so anymore? So are all flights are in essence arriving from "abroad" ?

So maybe they took the simple approach & lumped all arrivals into the one area. Why build a domestic arrivals channel when there's little or no need for it.

If I'm not mistaken, ORK is designed the same, with only one route, through PP control, to arrive into baggage claim.
Correct. So if Ireland doesn't bother its ****** why should the UK? Think Ireland only wants CTA for the northern Irish border and no interest in air arrivals as they are really foreign.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:21 am

Correct. So if Ireland doesn't bother its ****** why should the UK? Think Ireland only wants CTA for the northern Irish border and no interest in air arrivals as they are really foreign.
Surely the solution is for both countries to fully commit to their EU membership and join Schengen?

Problem solved
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by stifle
I wonder whether BA might even get some airbridge stands as part of the change? All T3 departures are currently bussed.
I'd hope so, considering there'll be more space.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold

That would result in a breach of section 1(3) Immigration Act 1971 and would cause difficulties in justifying a breach. Ireland hasn't incorporated the common travel area into legislation in the same manner so it is harder to assert a legal right.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Marcusm
That would result in a breach of section 1(3) Immigration Act 1971 and would cause difficulties in justifying a breach. Ireland hasn't incorporated the common travel area into legislation in the same manner so it is harder to assert a legal right.
But surely the right either exists or it doesn't?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by kered

We don't have any Domestic flights apart from DUB-KIR and DUB-CFN. So it is minimal.

I agree that the Irish should offer a special CTA arrivals lane as arriving into T2 with everyone else can often mean long waits. T1 is not so bad since they introduced the self service border gates and thankfully most don't use them so its not such a problem there.

It all comes down to planning which they are good at some things and very lacking in others! Then of course there are complaints about the GNIB who often are short staffed. The DAA are always getting complaints from passengers about the lines. The UK are actually powerless as they need the CTA as much as the Irish do. It all comes down to the border with NI which if the UK pulled out of would cause major civil unrest in NI within hours ! Its tense enough as it is.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELLAS
It all comes down to planning which they are good at some things and very lacking in others! Then of course there are complaints about the GNIB who often are short staffed. The DAA are always getting complaints from passengers about the lines. The UK are actually powerless as they need the CTA as much as the Irish do. It all comes down to the border with NI which if the UK pulled out of would cause major civil unrest in NI within hours ! Its tense enough as it is.
No internal border controls in the Schengen zone.

No chance of UK joining though. Enough nonsense about "we've lost control of our borders" in the press as it is.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But surely the right either exists or it doesn't?
Both countries are obliged by treaty to operate the CTA. The UK has also placed the right in domestic law and Ireland has not. In principle a British citizen required to produce a passport etc. to enter the UK from Ireland could take out a judicial review against the British government.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
So does this mean that the entire domestic/Ireland area in T1 will close at the end of Oct? EI and VS are moving to T2 over the summer...
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
No internal border controls in the Schengen zone.

No chance of UK joining though. Enough nonsense about "we've lost control of our borders" in the press as it is.
So what exactly is "nonsense" about wanting to control your own border? There is no point in being an independent state otherwise.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
So what exactly is "nonsense" about wanting to control your own border? There is no point in being an independent state otherwise.
In its present form the United Kingdom has never had control in a complete sense of its own borders because it was always part of a common travel area with Ireland and its predecessor state. This has meant negotiating with the Republic of Ireland on immigration and border control matters. Indeed, the UK has several times imposed restriction on internal traffic (between Great Britain and the island of Ireland, including Northern Ireland) in preference to exerting its sovereign right to enforce total controls at the land border with Ireland.

Originally Posted by stifle
Both countries are obliged by treaty to operate the CTA.
The current agreement makes it clear that the "treaty" (actually just a memorandum of understanding) is not intended to create binding obligations.

Last edited by Calchas; Feb 9, 2014 at 11:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.