Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by stifle
Both countries are obliged by treaty to operate the CTA. The UK has also placed the right in domestic law and Ireland has not. In principle a British citizen required to produce a passport etc. to enter the UK from Ireland could take out a judicial review against the British government.
And what exactly would be achieved by judicial review in the circumstances you mention?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Calchas

No chance of UK joining though. .
And long may it last. I think that both UK and ROI should stay out and keep the CTA with closer co operation and tighter immigration. The Irish have toughened up over the years too and lots of illegals were deported. Spot checks along the border too for those that are not Irish/British/EU citizens or have a legal right to be here. ^
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by BA6501
So does this mean that the entire domestic/Ireland area in T1 will close at the end of Oct? EI and VS are moving to T2 over the summer...
VS Little Red isn't moving until November AFAIK. But it would seem likely that the Gold Circle lounge will close in July, the Irish mile and the BA UK/Ireland lounge in October, and the gate 8 area thereafter.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And what exactly would be achieved by judicial review in the circumstances you mention?
You'd probably get declaratory relief and a story on page 20 of a newspaper nobody reads. Not all court cases have a point.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by stifle
... You'd probably get declaratory relief and a story on page 20 of a newspaper nobody reads. Not all court cases have a point.
well you've manage to confused me there!

One principle I learned very early on in law school, cases without a point never get to court ... because there is no case!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Surely the solution is for both countries to fully commit to their EU membership and join Schengen?

Problem solved
Scotland will have to join schengen assuming it joins the EU post-independence. And adopt the euro.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Scotland will have to join schengen assuming it joins the EU post-independence. And adopt the euro.
Has anyone told Alex Salmond that?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But surely the right either exists or it doesn't?
CTA derives from an effective agreement between the countries, the uK has incorporated it into legislation which effectively can be enforced by the relevant travellers. Ireland hasn't therefore it's hard to see it as a right which can be enforced personally rather than enforced by one government against the other.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
It all comes down to the border with NI which if the UK pulled out of would cause major civil unrest in NI within hours ! Its tense enough as it is.
Good lord! A terminal change results in the possibility of British withdrawal and a full on civil war

And why not have a CTA with a pegged one to one Scottish to sterling pound?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Poxball
Good lord! A terminal change results in the possibility of British withdrawal and a full on civil war
You'd be surprised what little could spark something off over here.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: ABBA

And why not have a CTA with a pegged one to one Scottish to sterling pound?
I believe any country joining the EU has to pledge to join both Schengen and the Euro.

Ignoring that, yes as I understand it, Scotland could do a Gibraltar, as long as their currency is backed by having enough of the UK's currency in it's vaults for a 1:1 mapping. Otherwise it would diverge. That means no printing money, and makes it impractical to set it's own interest rates.

Originally Posted by ardboe
Walk into a Belfast bar and shout "Guinness Sucks"?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Not printing money is a good thing IMO...
(to stop it from being devalued.)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ardboe
Indeed only a local can know, I don't fancy having to show my passport to do my weekly shop in Tesco
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:56 pm

I believe any country joining the EU has to pledge to join both Schengen and the Euro.

Ignoring that, yes as I understand it, Scotland could do a Gibraltar, as long as their currency is backed by having enough of the UK's currency in it's vaults for a 1:1 mapping. Otherwise it would diverge. That means no printing money, and makes it impractical to set it's own interest rates.
The reality of EU membership would be that Scotland as an eu member would be required to strive for euro membership but would have a derogation whilst it proved it met the criteria a la Sweden. These criteria would include exchange rate stability and membership of the ERM. In reality they would continue hitched to sterling as they do now and in time would decouple from sterling into the ERM still having its own Scottish pound. Finally after probably a decade if things were stable they would be allowed into the euro.

Alternatively they could just be like Norway with membership of the European Economic Area and a common travel area with the UK and presumably Ireland.

Walk into a Belfast bar and shout "Guinness Sucks"?
Think you're watching too many movies on those flights you're on Paul. I think if you mentioned the pope or the queen you'd get a reaction depending on the particular bar but if you went ahead with your Guinness put down, I reckon northern Irish Protestants and Catholics would for once unite in asking "what is the clown at the door on about?"
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Think you're watching too many movies on those flights you're on Paul. I think if you mentioned the pope or the queen you'd get a reaction depending on the particular bar but if you went ahead with your Guinness put down, I reckon northern Irish Protestants and Catholics would for once unite in asking "what is the clown at the door on about?"
Lager is actually drunk more in Ireland (and Northern Ireland) than guiness, so they may get more offended if you query the pedigree of their Harp (or whatever Irish brands there are)!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Lager is actually drunk more in Ireland (and Northern Ireland) than guiness, so they may get more offended if you query the pedigree of their Harp (or whatever Irish brands there are)!
You've enhanced away an 'n'!

Isn't Heineken the best selling lager brand in Ireland?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.