Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Flights from Dublin will use gates 22 and 23 and from Belfast 1 to 8.
Thanks for the advance info CIHY - I suppose the BHD gates are fairly predictable, but I wondered about DUB!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Which means that Belfast will go to domestics, DUB will go to the final 2 gates of T5A (23 is used for feeding people landside from airside). So this suggests Flight Connections will be the same as for normal international transfers.

Other arriving DUB passengers will either use the standard UK Border; alternatively have a special channel there as there was for LGW; or - and I actually think this is possible, a new corridor will open up, to pass passengers landside via a police control point and on to baggage reclaim, but thereby avoiding the UK Border. Why do I suggest that? Due to the choice of those particular 2 gates, which allows for an easy control to prevent mixing with the wrong sort of connection passengers at the end of that particular corridor.

I think we will have a police channel/new corridor.

HM Government takes the spirit of the Common Travel Area seriously - unlike the Irish Government who force us into passport control at DUB.

(I'm English with an Irish mother - and a UK and Irish passport holder. My travel passport tends to be the Irish one. "You can be born in a stable. It doesn't make you a horse.")

Last edited by londonbus; Feb 8, 2014 at 1:13 pm
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Which means that Belfast will go to domestics, DUB will go to the final 2 gates of T5A (23 is used for feeding people landside from airside). So this suggests Flight Connections will be the same as for normal international transfers.

Other arriving DUB passengers will either use the standard UK Border; alternatively have a special channel there as there was for LGW; or - and I actually think this is possible, a new corridor will open up, to pass passengers landside via a police control point and on to baggage reclaim, but thereby avoiding the UK Border. Why do I suggest that? Due to the choice of those particular 2 gates, which allows for an easy control to prevent mixing with the wrong sort of connection passengers at the end of that particular corridor.
Yes, I suspect there will be a new corridor opened or built from those gates to the international baggage hall, and some class of door or person between A21 and A22 on the arrivals level preventing people from coming the "wrong" way.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Has there been any mention of the exact dates for the changes? 1 October?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Has there been any mention of the exact dates for the changes? 1 October?
26 October
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Isn't that when the timetable changes from Summer to Winter?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by londonbus
Isn't that when the timetable changes from Summer to Winter?
That's when ba.com starts listing the flights as departing from T5 if you do a dummy booking.

I tried a few other T1 destinations I could think of (RTM, AMM) and they're still currently showing as T1 at this point.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by layz
That's when ba.com starts listing the flights as departing from T5 if you do a dummy booking.

I tried a few other T1 destinations I could think of (RTM, AMM) and they're still currently showing as T1 at this point.
Perhaps BA are not planning to continue operating these flights once they are served the eviction notice from T1, and so are not making any provisions at T5 for them.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Perhaps BA are not planning to continue operating these flights once they are served the eviction notice from T1, and so are not making any provisions at T5 for them.
So why would they be shown in the tabletable at this point?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by londonbus
So why would they be shown in the tabletable at this point?
I am not sure when the final day of operation is for T1 but it may be midway through the W14/15 period so the flights may continue until then. Also just because the flights are published it does not mean that they cannot be pulled.

The other (quite likely) possibility is that I am completely wrong.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Flights from Dublin will use gates 22 and 23 and from Belfast 1 to 8.
Not gate 19? I love it when MAN goes from there, an extra 5 minutes in GF
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
The change has also been reflected in the GDS timetables.
Yes it was in there I noticed early Friday morning. Must have been done overnight as I did not notice it before. All my bookings past Oct 26th were showing T1 still but since Friday morning all updated to T5.

It will be interesting to see the difference between how DUB and BHD will be in practice in terms of arriving and transit. I use both regularly.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by layz
Or maybe they're just going to continue at T1 for the time being. AFAIK, T1 is not closing as soon as October 2014. All that this announcement is about is the move of two routes from T1 to T5.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Or maybe they're just going to continue at T1 for the time being. AFAIK, T1 is not closing as soon as October 2014. All that this announcement is about is the move of two routes from T1 to T5.
Quite possibly, my thought process was that it would be just as easy for BA to move all the flights its wants in T5 in one go. As for the remaining flights, they would stay in T1 until either it closes or they decide to discontinue them. T1 is due for demolition in 2016 so I would expect it to be vacated by the end of 2015 at the latest. By that time, BA may have sufficient LH frames to use extra slots which may or may not be presently used by flights operated fromT1.

Or, as I stated above, I may be completely wide of the mark.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite possibly, my thought process was that it would be just as easy for BA to move all the flights its wants in T5 in one go. As for the remaining flights, they would stay in T1 until either it closes or they decide to discontinue them. T1 is due for demolition in 2016 so I would expect it to be vacated by the end of 2015 at the latest. By that time, BA may have sufficient LH frames to use extra slots which may or may not be presently used by flights operated fromT1.

Or, as I stated above, I may be completely wide of the mark.
BHD and DUB may be the only ones planned for T5, the others may be making their way to T3 but it's possible BA don't want to schedule a move just yet, preferring to wait until a number of Star Alliance airlines move out.

Also HAH/HAL might have some work to do in the check-in, gate areas, etc when a number of airlines move out so BA wants that complete before they move any flights to T3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.