Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA (Gold)
Originally Posted by BA6501
Yes, right next to each other. However, if your LGW-GVA is late and you miss your GVA-LHR, you're on your own.
Thanks. So no need to exit and enter through security?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Cheriton
Thanks. So no need to exit and enter through security?
Just go down the stairs, and then double back up them into the satellite again - takes seconds, no need to clear passport control or security.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20573550-post9.html
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
LUX - spoilt for choice with a NH Hotel and a Campanile next door and an Ibis across the road, all an easy walk.
LCA - nothing within walking distance
CAI (well, sort of ex-EU) - the Novotel is walking distance across the car park
TLS has a Raddisson about 4-5 min walk away
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:13 am

This is the first time I’m considering an Ex-EU flight and hope someone can answer a few question. I’m looking at doing CPH-LHR-LAX-HNL two weeks in Hawaii then HNL-LAX-LHR-DUB.

My main concern is whether I’ll have to do the last LHR-DUB leg.

Is it possible to ensure that my baggage can only be checked to LHR? I’ve tried putting LGW into the Matrix, but not getting any options. If I don’t do the LHR-DUB leg, do I forfeit the Avios/TPs for that leg or the whole trip?

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
There is a real risk that the check-in agent at LAX will refuse to short-tag your baggage to LHR only. Have you looked to have the last leg as LCY to DUB as this would avoid that problem.

If you skip the last leg then only the points for the last leg will be lost.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk verochio

Originally Posted by verochio
This is the first time I’m considering an Ex-EU flight
Welcome to Flyertalk verochio, welcome in particular to the BA forum. It's good to have you in here, and the main TP thread will get you lots of good advice (including the last leg issue). You will find that, and lots more besides, in the BA Dashboard. Definitely worth a good read. But make yourself at home, and it would be great to hear more from you. Welcome on board.

In addition to Physci's comments, there isn't a mainline BA service from LGW to DUB (there's a haphazard codeshare arrangement which won't always compute to certain fare types). However have a look at LCY to DUB, that may get you out of that issue. Or just go Hand Baggage Only, quite easy to do to somewhere like HNL since you won't need too many thick items of clothing and there are laundrettes / service wash points everywhere there. I use the one at the side of the Doubletree.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:28 am

Many thanks for your responses, and thanks for the welcome to the Forum.

It looks like doing the last leg out of LCY is pushing the price up quite a bit. I tried doing it as a multi-stop in the matrix with the HNL-LAX-LHR and LHR-DUB as separate legs on different days (see below) and it gave me the same price. Would that normally work?

Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by verochio
Many thanks for your responses, and thanks for the welcome to the Forum.

It looks like doing the last leg out of LCY is pushing the price up quite a bit. I tried doing it as a multi-stop in the matrix with the HNL-LAX-LHR and LHR-DUB as separate legs on different days (see below) and it gave me the same price. Would that normally work?
I think you have a strong case there given the nightstop. I would expect to receive my belongings if I asked. Also try LGW-DUB, it's an EI codeshare
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:09 pm

I am new to flying ex EU, but the price flying economy is around £300 cheaper then from having London as the initial departure airport. So I would really appreciate some advice/tips on whether this will work.

Flying Dub – Lon – Lax – Lax – Lon – Dub.

I plan to book this as a multiple destination complete trip on expedia, the flights would be
Dub – Lon Monday evening
Lon – Lax Tuesday morning
Lax – Lon Monday (2 weeks later) arrive Tuesday
Lon – Dub Wednesday (plan on not taking this)

Take a cheap flight with Ryanair from London to Dublin on Monday morning for the start of the trip (with no luggage).

Questions
1) For the Ryanair flight to Dublin how soon before the flight would I have to be at the airport.
2) For Dub – Lon, as this is the official start of my trip to the USA, do I have to be at the airport 3 hours before this flight (I won’t have any luggage) and what would be the minimum time that I should allow from the time of my arrival at Dublin on Ryanair.
3) Would I also pick up the boarding pass for the Lon – Lax part of the trip in Dublin.
4) I will check my luggage in at Lon. As my trip started in Dub (overnight stay in London) do I have to be at the airport 3 hours before this flight.
5) Am I likely to encounter any awkward questions as to why I am starting my journey in Dublin, being that I live in London and will only be in Dublin a few hours (flying in and out on same day), as well as also checking in my luggage at London rather than Dublin.
6) Will it be okay to book economy as the postings on the forum seem to be for business/first class.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying novice
I am new to flying ex EU, but the price flying economy is around £300 cheaper then from having London as the initial departure airport. So I would really appreciate some advice/tips on whether this will work.
Hello flying novice and welcome to FlyerTalk. I am sure you won't be a novice for much longer!

I plan to book this as a multiple destination complete trip on expedia, the flights would be
Dub – Lon Monday evening
Lon – Lax Tuesday morning
Lax – Lon Monday (2 weeks later) arrive Tuesday
Lon – Dub Wednesday (plan on not taking this)

Take a cheap flight with Ryanair from London to Dublin on Monday morning for the start of the trip (with no luggage).
Good plan (except the economy part!).

Questions
1) For the Ryanair flight to Dublin how soon before the flight would I have to be at the airport.
You don't say which airport you are flying from. Checking on Ryanair's website, you should be at the gate 30 minutes before departure; gate closes 20 minutes before departure. Let us assume it takes you 40 minutes to get through security (unlikely it would take so long but who knows). So at least 70 minutes before departure.

I am not familiar with Ryanair so I would give it about 90-120 minutes to be safe. When you arrive with your home-printed boarding pass you can proceed directly to security.

2) For Dub – Lon, as this is the official start of my trip to the USA, do I have to be at the airport 3 hours before this flight (I won’t have any luggage) and what would be the minimum time that I should allow from the time of my arrival at Dublin on Ryanair.
No this "three hours" thing is a myth to give you more time to spend more (and to absolve completely the airline of responsibility if you are late). However two to three hours is probably a good amount of time just in case the Ryanair flight is late. So yes try to keep it at about 3 hours just in case things go wrong. Bring a good book.

3) Would I also pick up the boarding pass for the Lon – Lax part of the trip in Dublin.
Maybe yes, maybe no. It doesn't matter you can always get them the next day (or request new ones if you lose them). You will need to visit a check in desk in London anyway to drop your bag. BA only need to see your passport and they can look up your itinerary.

4) I will check my luggage in at Lon. As my trip started in Dub (overnight stay in London) do I have to be at the airport 3 hours before this flight.
No this is a myth. Bag drop closes at 45 minutes before the flight and you must be at security at least 35 minutes before your fight departs.

If you are not familiar with the airport I would give yourself at least 90 minutes or maybe two hours just to be sure so you don't worry about it.

5) Am I likely to encounter any awkward questions as to why I am starting my journey in Dublin, being that I live in London and will only be in Dublin a few hours (flying in and out on same day), as well as also checking in my luggage at London rather than Dublin.
No. No one knows you live in London and no one knows about your Ryanair flight. Even if they did---maybe you had an important meeting with a client in Dublin and your next meeting is in Los Angeles.

If asked, tell the truth: it was cheaper . There's nothing wrong with that, it's very normal.

6) Will it be okay to book economy as the postings on the forum seem to be for business/first class.
We do all like to pretend we always travel in business and first but sadly most of us are quite often in the back of the plane as well. You are more than welcome to post here and our guides and advice apply to economy passengers as well.

Last edited by Calchas; Jan 10, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk flying novice

Thanks for your help
Let me also welcome you to Flyertalk, flying novice, welcome in particular to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, and - in respect of your point above - it would be good to here more from the World Traveller end, as you rightly point out, it doesn't feature here so often. Having said that, I'm glad you have come across us here, since with a bit of ingenuity you may well be able to go further forward in the future. Welcome on board.

You have had some good advice from Calchas. I'd re-iterate the point that turning up umpteen hours before departure is an urban myth (possibly excepting some charter flights where the operators want the flexibility to leave early). For mainstream flights at sensible airports, an hour with hand baggage only and 90 minutes with checked luggage is ample, maybe a little more for a few locations such as ski resorts at peak times, or those with difficult exit procedures in the Middle East.

Don't forget to tell us how you get on with this trip.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:53 am
Suspended

If anyone could add details for OSL, that'd be much appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero

No passport control or security. Most of the time its a gate arrival.

Terminal facilities
  • Wifi: free wifi terminal wide
  • Toilets: WCs are present at several points along the length of the terminal and inside both Finnair lounges
  • Smoking: designated smoking area by gate 36
  • Finnair Non-Schengen Lounge & Finnair Non-Schengen Premium Lounge between gates 36 & 37
  • Terminal map

FT back to back turn-around rating: Excellent
FT airside transfer rating: Excellent to Good
FT landside transfer rating: Reasonable
Corrected link for Terminal map and added some further terminal facilities notes.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Just a couple of things. I have an ex-DUB next month. My wife and I are travelling together on the same PNR. However, she is going to ditch the last leg while I get the extra TPs.

1) Checked bags: I'm assuming that if I ask the agent in MIA to put the bag(s) under my name, it will be OK even though she's ditching the last leg and we're on the same PNR.

2) Going Landside at LHR: With the checked bags in mind, can I go landside with my wife at LHR on the return, and then back through security while she goes home? We thought about having breakfast in the Arrivals lounge, though this is obviously not necessary if it's going to be a faff. I assume this will be absolutely fine as although I won't go through flight connections, I would meet conformance by being through normal security at least 35 minutes before departure. I wouldn't want bags to get offloaded because I didn't go through flight connections.

If this won't work then I'll try to convince her to do HBO!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Just a couple of things. I have an ex-DUB next month. My wife and I are travelling together on the same PNR. However, she is going to ditch the last leg while I get the extra TPs.
1) I don't think you have a problem with the bags. You can by all means ask for them to be put under your name, but either way so long as you can collect all bags in DUB it amounts to the same thing. I theory you could be asked about your bags before leaving the carousels, but it happens very rarely, and if they belong to your wife I don't see an issue even that very rare circumstance, particularly if you share the same surname.

2) No problems with going through Arrivals instead of Flight Connections, happens all the time, and is quite normal. Often the fastest way to do things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.