FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:06 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Since this question comes up a lot, I thought I would add an FAQ on baggage and Third Country Itineraries such as LHR-DUB-LHR-USA. I have also put something into the wiki. This thread is linked from the Dashboard. As a general comment, going hand baggage only (HBO) makes this process a lot easier.

Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight to DUB?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg.

But I haven't got status and I'm flying WTP?
Well, then you can't check your bags in advance, since there is a Heathrow system block which means bags can only be checked in 3 hours before departure. This applies to non status passenger (including BA Blue and Bronze) who are also travelling in World Traveller, World Traveller Plus or EuroTraveller. This block does not apply if you have status or are flying Club or First.

What can I do if the agent refuses to check in the bag?
Here are the various Plan Bs that exist:
- Go hand baggage only, particularly if you are going away for under a month....
- Use Airportr services - see http://airportr.com/
- Check your bag into Excess Baggage's shops in T3, T5 and LGW arrivals, and then collect it before the longhaul. The LCY information desk has a similar facility at LCY.
- Get a friend to help you hand over your bags when you get back from the positioning flight.
- Ship your items ahead or after travel using a freight forwarding company, or by post.
- Park your car in a Heathrow carpark and use this to store you bag.
- Use a hotel near LHR to help store your bags.
- Book an overnight gap either at the positioning location, so DUB in the example given, or a long gap, perhaps overnight, between DUB-LHR and LHR-USA.
These workarounds require you to go landside between the positioning and longhaul flights, you therefore check your bag just before the longhaul service.

Can I check a bag in at T3 if my flight is from T5?
No, nor vice versa, but airportr can perhaps help, see link above.

Are there lockers airside at LHR or anywhere else I can store my bags airside?
No there isn't, and airside unaccompanied bags may be removed and destroyed. Excess Baggage provides this facility landside, your bag will be screened before storage.

On the final flight, will they allow me to short check the luggage to LHR and not to the end of the ticket?
Generally the answer is no, and almost certainly so from the USA, your bag will be checked to the final destination. If you are switching airport then they must return your bags, and if you have an overnight stay before the final flight they might relent.

Can I check a bag in at Flight Connections?
Yes, provided it is inside your allowance.

Can I get my bags back anyway before the last flight?
Yes, but it will be hassle of some sort. You may need to wait an hour or so before the bag reappears, and if you are unlucky you may need to return to LHR on a future date to recover you bags.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 24, 2016 at 2:36 am