Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA
I'm thinking about reducing my contingency on an ex-EU trip from an overnight to a back to back.

GLA-LHR-OSL - One PNR
OSL-LHR-SYD - Connecting 'back to back' on the OSL leg on a separate PNR.

Let's assume I am comfortable with the separate PNR risk - from what I understand BA are often very accommodating.

If I had a long enough transfer time at LHR on the GLA-OSL PNR, could I check my luggage in for my OSL-SYD flight?

Would it even be possible to check my bag in GLA-LHR-OSL-LHR-SYD? I assume as it is back to back this would not be possible.

I'm sure I've read an answer to this question before, so sorry my search skills are lacking!

Thanks!

Last edited by AlbaGuBrath; Feb 24, 2015 at 3:26 pm Reason: Forgot to say thankyou - tsk tsk.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AlbaGuBrath
Would it even be possible to check my bag in GLA-LHR-OSL-LHR-SYD? I assume as it is back to back this would not be possible.
This is definitely not possible regardless of whether you're doing a back-to-back at OSL. A bag tag can't pass through the same airport twice.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking about reducing my contingency on an ex-EU trip from an overnight to a back to back.

GLA-LHR-OSL - One PNR

Let's assume I am comfortable with the separate PNR risk - from what I understand BA are often very accommodating.

If I had a long enough transfer time at LHR on the GLA-OSL PNR, could I check my luggage in for my OSL-SYD flight?

I'm sure I've read an answer to this question before, so sorry my search skills are lacking!

Thanks!
If for some reason you must check a bag, assume it will go to OSL and you will need time to collect and re-check it there.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

GLA-LHR-OSL - One PNR
This is risky. I know OSL well and I travel HBO, and I would be reluctant to do it. The layout of the airport, passport control queues and potential quick turn around times, plus the admittedly rare risk of a bus transfer, all make it a less than ideal location for a back to back operation. Have a look at the prices for SVG or BGO, they are usually a bit cheaper and the back to back is more or less totally foolproof.

Yes. There was a BA agent on here who said they shouldn't do it, but all recent experiences have said this is OK. But have plan B up your sleeve just in case, which generally means leaving your baggage in Left Luggage and rechecking after arrival from Norway.

No, you can't do this, you are going through LHR twice and that can't be entered onto the system, it will error.

Yes there are a few comments about this in my previous post 216 and repeated here:

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is some information in the parallel thread on back to backs for OSL:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22647026-post100.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24057835-post236.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:51 am

Would it make sense to build into the potential pitfalls the fact that you should be booking your initial "cheapo" ticket with enough leeway to make the connection to your "real" journey. And to be wary of delays/strikes/inclement weather etc.

Or do we assume that people using this guide are Advanced level anyway
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by love_flying_hate_strikes
Would it make sense to build into the potential pitfalls the fact that you should be booking your initial "cheapo" ticket with enough leeway to make the connection to your "real" journey. And to be wary of delays/strikes/inclement weather etc.

Or do we assume that people using this guide are Advanced level anyway
I think people already read the guides that are on here or search for the many threads which already discuss the issues of back to back turnarounds and/or what happens if you don't make your first flight. It isn't advanced level, it is called doing research.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think people already read the guides that are on here or search for the many threads which already discuss the issues of back to back turnarounds and/or what happens if you don't make your first flight. It isn't advanced level, it is called doing research.
OK, Intermediate then. I'm in no way advanced myself. Strictly Enthusiast/Amateur level.

I just found this guide to be honest - amazing work. Thanks to all contributors.

I guess you can use these techniques in conjunction with ExpertFlyer too?

One other point - are there any guides on interpreting EF's results on flight sector searches. I find it a bit interminable as a noob - especially all the code-speak in the Notes.

Thanks all again!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:22 am

It isn't advanced level, it is called doing research.
Experiencing your first real IRROP is a bit different to reading about what it will be like.

Like a few other things in life
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Experiencing your first real IRROP is a bit different to reading about what it will be like.

Like a few other things in life
love_flying_hate_strikes was talking about missing the first leg of your exEU due to having a positioning flight delayed or cancelled. The issue here is managing down the risk during that period when you have not yet made it on to your first flight of a booking. For positioning the way to deal with it is to reduce the risk i.e. go the day before, go on BA etc.

Obvioulsy once you are on your exEU ticket you are protected for any delays or connections.

For IRROPS which happens once you are on your exEU if you have done your research then you are likely to have a better ability to deal with it. You will have some familiarity with expertflyer or tripcase and be able to see what the alternatives are to get you back on schedule. You will have all the phone numbers to hand to call BA/US/AA. You will have also read through the threads on here to see what has happened to others affected by IRROPS on an exEU and how they have resolved it. IRROPS once on a ticket is less about reducing risk (although trying to ensure reasonable connection times and familiarity with the connection process at any conencting airports helps), and more about doing your planning and research and being prepared.

Like anything in life, it is different when you experience it first hand, but if you follow the seven Ps you are going to do far better than if you haven't.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Like anything in life, it is different when you experience it first hand, but if you follow the seven Ps you are going to do far better than if you haven't.
Love it.

Just had a look at your ba97 - looks like we are on the same LHR-CPH on the 1st July. (I am doing a b2b then over to LCY for BA3)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:32 am

love_flying_hate_strikes was talking about missing the first leg of your exEU due to having a positioning flight delayed or cancelled. The issue here is managing down the risk during that period when you have not yet made it on to your first flight of a booking. For positioning the way to deal with it is to reduce the risk i.e. go the day before, go on BA etc.
Why do you think going on BA reduces the risk?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Why do you think going on BA reduces the risk?
If your BA positioning flight has been delayed/cancelled they are more likely to be sympathetic than if your positing flight was on FR/U2/other. This is also the oneworld separate ticket connection policy which BA don't state, but which at least you can have a go at arguing for if you were positioning on BA (or another oneworld carrier).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:42 am

Obvioulsy once you are on your exEU ticket you are protected for any delays or connections.

For IRROPS which happens once you are on your exEU if you have done your research then you are likely to have a better ability to deal with it. You will have some familiarity with expertflyer or tripcase and be able to see what the alternatives are to get you back on schedule. You will have all the phone numbers to hand to call BA/US/AA. You will have also read through the threads on here to see what has happened to others affected by IRROPS on an exEU and how they have resolved it. IRROPS once on a ticket is less about reducing risk (although trying to ensure reasonable connection times and familiarity with the connection process at any conencting airports helps), and more about doing your planning and research and being prepared.

Yup - exactly that.

So I guess for ex-EU (ie inbound to LHR on BA to catch a long-haul BA flight ex-LHR), if something goes wrong at say, AMS, BA is duty-bound to look after you anyway?

But I guess what you are saying is, if you don't want to rely on them getting you to LHR, say, the following day, you should grab your bags if they are checked in and try to find another flight into LHR which maybe isn't FUBAR'd which would allow you to get on the original ex-LHR leg?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
Love it.

Just had a look at your ba97 - looks like we are on the same LHR-CPH on the 1st July. (I am doing a b2b then over to LCY for BA3)
Aha, interesting. There may be another FT'er on the flight as well who is positioning for am exEU. Myself and the other FT'er are going on to do CPH-HEL-LHR that day, and BA1 on 2 July. i will send you a PM and see if we can coordinate lounges and seats on 1 July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.