Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
1) I don't think you have a problem with the bags. You can by all means ask for them to be put under your name, but either way so long as you can collect all bags in DUB it amounts to the same thing. I theory you could be asked about your bags before leaving the carousels, but it happens very rarely, and if they belong to your wife I don't see an issue even that very rare circumstance, particularly if you share the same surname.

2) No problems with going through Arrivals instead of Flight Connections, happens all the time, and is quite normal. Often the fastest way to do things.
Thanks, CWS. I must have misunderstood something. I thought bags wouldn't be on a flight if the passenger is not. Therefore if one is tagged with my wife's name it would be offloaded at LHR if she didn't make conformance. Incidentally we don't have the same surname. She's American and her indefinite leave to remain had to be in her passport name and it all got a bit complicated when we got married and we've never bothered to sort it out).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:24 pm

Calchas/Corporate-wage-slave,

Thank you both for the very warm welcome to Flyertalk and also for the good advice.

I have booked the trip for May (my Ryanair flight is from Stansted) and will post a detailed trip report when I get back. Should I post on this thread or would another forum/thread be more appropriate.

Thanks again for the advice it was truly appreciated.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I thought bags wouldn't be on a flight if the passenger is not. Therefore if one is tagged with my wife's name it would be offloaded at LHR if she didn't make conformance.
I've never tested this, but I would have thought that this would be a risk if your wife did not clear conformance. Even if you're on the same PNR, there's no reason why the two of you would necessary be travelling together, and a bag belonging to a passenger who doesn't turn up could well be regarded as suspicious and therefore not get loaded.

So if I were in your place, I would be putting both bags into my name. However, the very request for both bags to be in your name could ring alarm bells for a suspicious agent.
Incidentally we don't have the same surname. She's American and her indefinite leave to remain had to be in her passport name and it all got a bit complicated when we got married and we've never bothered to sort it out).
The most sensible approach to legal names, IMHO! It solves a lot of problems.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying novice
Calchas/Corporate-wage-slave,

Thank you both for the very warm welcome to Flyertalk and also for the good advice.

I have booked the trip for May (my Ryanair flight is from Stansted) and will post a detailed trip report when I get back. Should I post on this thread or would another forum/thread be more appropriate.

Thanks again for the advice it was truly appreciated.
If it's short you can post it here, if it's long it may be more comfortable in a new thread.

However the mods can sort out any problems and I think they enjoy moving things to the right places so do not worry about the position too much. I look forward to hearing how it goes. ^
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I've never tested this, but I would have thought that this would be a risk if your wife did not clear conformance. Even if you're on the same PNR, there's no reason why the two of you would necessary be travelling together, and a bag belonging to a passenger who doesn't turn up could well be regarded as suspicious and therefore not get loaded.

So if I were in your place, I would be putting both bags into my name. However, the very request for both bags to be in your name could ring alarm bells for a suspicious agent.
Thanks, Globaliser - I didn't see your comment yesterday. I guess I could either a) check-in one bag and ask for it to go under my name or b) OLCI (can you do that from MIA) and go to bag drop on my own? That should cover it surely?

If not, I can always get her an Avios return, though I think the extra flights at the end for her may be the nail in the coffin of me persuading her to do this again!

The most sensible approach to legal names, IMHO! It solves a lot of problems.
I agree! So far the expense has always put us off. The money has invariably been spent on ba.com!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks, Globaliser - I didn't see your comment yesterday. I guess I could either a) check-in one bag and ask for it to go under my name or b) OLCI (can you do that from MIA) and go to bag drop on my own? That should cover it surely?
I'm not the baggage expert, but yes you can OLCI from MIA, or better still use the App. Unless I'm much mistaken, if you and wifey turn up at baggage drop they will put some or all of the baggage in your name rather than splitting them between you. However if they all end up in your wife's name and she didn't make conformance, then yes it would not be loaded at T5 to anywhere else, and would need to be collected at some point from there.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I guess I could either a) check-in one bag and ask for it to go under my name or b) OLCI (can you do that from MIA) and go to bag drop on my own? That should cover it surely?
On reflection, I think that going to bag drop on your own with both bags, and saying that they're both yours, would probably be the best solution.

Next time, the answer must surely be to book the last sector as LCY-DUB. Then you can get both bags back at LHR and your wife can take them home while you swan off to earn the extra TPs.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:45 pm

On reflection, I think that going to bag drop on your own with both bags, and saying that they're both yours, would probably be the best solution.

Next time, the answer must surely be to book the last sector as LCY-DUB. Then you can get both bags back at LHR and your wife can take them home while you swan off to earn the extra TPs.
I didn't fully think that one through! Well, I always knew I wouldn't ditch the last leg and so wanted to make the connection as easy as possible. In future, though that is probably the best solution. Although a bit more of a pain for me, the extra TPs and flying CW would be much better than Y+ or even Y advocated by my wife (who incidentally has flown F and J more than me and loves everything about premium cabins except the price tag!).

So the plan will be to OLCI or use the app as per Globaliser and CWS, then me taking the bag(s) to bag drop on my own. That way it/they can't possibly be in my wife's name.

I'm hoping this won't trigger any kind of account audit, but by the sounds of things this appears to be hearsay for now. Then again there must have been quite a bit of ex-EU shenanigans of late.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stifle
B1 works similarly although you must take a right at the top of the airbridge rather than a left. It's signposted on a digital sign, something to the effect of "UK and non-EU connections". In many cases you will need to let yourself out past a Tensabarrier or explain yourself to a gate dragon; neither are hard.
More information on Brussels BRU back to backs are in this post and elsewhere in the thread (handled this way to avoid cross posting rules, but there is an overlap):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24177438-post246.html
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:23 am

Thanks again for the help over the last few days, by the way - especially Globaliser and CWS.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
has anyone experience of doing a back to back in BUD? Just wondering if you need to go out and back in again (which would make it very risky). No luggage.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question

Could somebody who has done this please give me some info re DUB turnarounds off the LCY service?

Do the aircraft park out and are you are bussed into the terminal? Is it dangerous to do immediate turnaround on the same aircraft?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by col747uk
Could somebody who has done this please give me some info re DUB turnarounds off the LCY service?

Do the aircraft park out and are you are bussed into the terminal? Is it dangerous to do immediate turnaround on the same aircraft?
My arrival at DUB and departure to LCY notes are here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ns-13.html#191
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ns-14.html#198
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aren't discussions of DUB a bit off topic for the mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:01 pm

This seems as good a place as any to ask this question. I was aware it's often cheaper to get tickets from ex-EU destinations - mostly for commercial reasons (ie why fly BA via LHR when you can fly somebody else direct? The price has to be competitive to capture the traffic, etc).

But I wasn't aware at just how stark the difference can be.

I'm looking to fly from LHR to LAX in September, likely in WT. Currently, the cheapest possible price - either direct or indirect - comes in at circa £760. This seems like a lot and so I've been biding my time for a sale that involves my dates.

I happened to check prices ex DUB and the difference is staggering - it starts from just £410. £350 cheaper - for the same dates, the same flights out of LHR, plus the additional flights from and to Dublin.

How can this difference be explained? Nobody flies direct to LAX from DUB, infact arguably BA have the best routing via LHR anyway. The APD is lower, which will be some of it, but wow, £350 cheaper?!

I'd be amazed if there was even £350 of margin in a £759 economy fare for BA let alone when you add in the costs of the DUB to LHR bits.

If BA can make money flying people from DUB to LAX via LHR for 400 quid return surely at some point we'll see similar fares (adjusted for APD obviously) for us Brits? Heck I'd take something starting with a £5 at this point let alone the £4....

At the moment its looking like a no brainer to have a Dublin citybreak at each side of the trip, more than paid for by the fare difference. Seems bonkers this is even possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.