Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by knoppster
Not sure if this is the correct thread to be asking ...

JFK/LHR Sunday night on AA106, with 2 hour transfer to BA flight back to DUB on Monday. 50 minute turnaround from DUB to LHR, and I'd prefer to check my bag at T1 left luggage.

Will AA force me to check luggage through to DUB at JFK?
There has to be a good chance that they will. I had a similar situation in reverse, leaving LHR via AA and on to another international destination a year or two ago when ITI baggage transfers were still operating on certain MIA flights. I told the check in agent that as I had a several hour stopover in MIA, I would prefer the reassurance of seeing my bags in MIA and re-checking them (which was true) but they were adamant that if through checking was possible they were only prepared to through check. Probably best to ask on the AA board though.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by knoppster
Not sure if this is the correct thread to be asking, but here goes. (Great information in thread. Will be printing out and using in DUB ... and will try AMS next time)

I've got a TP run coming up in a few weeks time, and am debating whether to take luggage or not. My positioning flight to DUB I will only take hand luggage. DUB - LHR is Thu night. LCY/JFK on BA1 Fri. 2 nights in NYC hoping to take advantage of great exchange rate, including buying items which cannot be taken in hand luggage. JFK/LHR Sunday night on AA106, with 2 hour transfer to BA flight back to DUB on Monday. 50 minute turnaround from DUB to LHR, and I'd prefer to check my bag at T1 left luggage.

Will AA force me to check luggage through to DUB at JFK?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to writing up first TP run report.
Good luck with the TP run - looking forward to reading your TR.

Unless you can organise your LHR-DUB flight for the following day after your JFK-LHR, then AA normally insist on checking your luggage all the way through, therefore through to DUB. I am sure some people have managed to wangle this with a nice check-in agent, but I don't believe it's the norm. That's also why (quite often) arriving back into a different London airport is quite good because you have to collect your luggage.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Brussels back to back query

At the end of my TP run next month I am doing a BRU same aircraft turnaround (little error on my part, can't tell the time apparently )
I'm sure somewhere I read that it was possible to leave the jetty and make a turn, avoiding passport control and get back to the gate quickly. Is this still the case? I'm sorry but I did a search but can't find the post.
If you think it will be too tight I could probably change the return (RFS) £25 change fee?

Thanks
AQ
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
At the end of my TP run next month I am doing a BRU same aircraft turnaround (little error on my part, can't tell the time apparently )
I'm sure somewhere I read that it was possible to leave the jetty and make a turn, avoiding passport control and get back to the gate quickly. Is this still the case? I'm sorry but I did a search but can't find the post.
If you think it will be too tight I could probably change the return (RFS) £25 change fee?

Thanks
AQ
From what I have seen when you get towards the end of the B pier you head up on the right hand side before getting to passport control. I think this takes you upstairs and you can just walk back to the gate. Hopefully someone will come and confirm with more details.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks KARFA, I went through BRU a few months ago and it took an age to get through passport control so hopefully you're right As you say, with a bit of luck someone will be able to confirm your reply.
Cheers
AQ
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:01 pm

Thanks
AQ
It was probably my posts that you are referring back to about same plane turnarounds at BRU.

If you arrive at gate B4, when you get off the plane and start walking down the corridor into the terminal you will see the ramp up to the departures area on your left hand side (no more than 25 yards after leaving the plane). It's signed posted UK connections (or something like that). Everyone else will head straight on but if you turn left and head up the ramp you will be ready to get straight back on the plane. Note that you may need to bob under the barrier when you get up to the gate departure area and quite often the gate staff may look at you a bit perplexed, but don't worry you are allowed to do what you are doing - just explain that you are getting back on board and they won't be too worried. Having your boarding card will help at this point.

Everytime I have arrived into BRU it's always been gate B4, but clearly there's a risk that you may arrive at a different gate, and there's a small chance you may arrive via a bus. So there's a risk that a non-gate B4 arrival might give you a different result!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by billinghamn
It was probably my posts that you are referring back to about same plane turnarounds at BRU.

If you arrive at gate B4, when you get off the plane and start walking down the corridor into the terminal you will see the ramp up to the departures area on your left hand side (no more than 25 yards after leaving the plane). It's signed posted UK connections (or something like that). Everyone else will head straight on but if you turn left and head up the ramp you will be ready to get straight back on the plane. Note that you may need to bob under the barrier when you get up to the gate departure area and quite often the gate staff may look at you a bit perplexed, but don't worry you are allowed to do what you are doing - just explain that you are getting back on board and they won't be too worried. Having your boarding card will help at this point.

Everytime I have arrived into BRU it's always been gate B4, but clearly there's a risk that you may arrive at a different gate, and there's a small chance you may arrive via a bus. So there's a risk that a non-gate B4 arrival might give you a different result!
So that's the method at the gate itself? What is the one I saw when someone did a back to back and walked with me more or less all the way to the end of the B pier and then headed upstairs?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
So that's the method at the gate itself? What is the one I saw when someone did a back to back and walked with me more or less all the way to the end of the B pier and then headed upstairs?
I'm not sure - can you remember which gate you arrived at KARFA?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:10 pm

As far as I can remember the stats suggest that the BA flight from LHR arrives at gate B4 about 75-80% of the time.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by billinghamn
I'm not sure - can you remember which gate you arrived at KARFA?
I think somewhere around B8? We had a few minutes walk before getting to the end of the pier. He seemed to know what he was doing and he was an FT'er.

EDIT: Could have been B4 though. It was roughly around B4-8.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:32 pm

I think somewhere around B8? We had a few minutes walk before getting to the end of the pier. He seemed to know what he was doing and he was an FT'er.

EDIT: Could have been B4 though. It was roughly around B4-8.
I can remember someone reporting about arriving at gate B8, but I didn't get to the bottom of how the arrival process differed to my arrival process from gate B4 - sounds like you have covered that now, so that's useful we have two sets of arrival experiences for same plane turnarounds at BRU at different gates.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:00 pm

Billinghamn and KARFA, thanks for your input it's made me feel much happier about the turnaround
I intend to print both boarding passes before leaving LHR so I should be well prepared. The only luggage will be a small camera bag so everything will hopefully be rosey.

Billinghamn, would I be correct in thinking Billinghamv is due another at home party soon as you depart for distant shores again? If so, can we look forward to another of your fascinating TP run reports. Without doubt they have been a true inspiration.

KARFA, no offence meant regarding yours, I'm just about half way through all of your reports and they have also provided some great info, already in my little book, and they are a great read.

With a bit of luck, and learning (still trying to put a photo in a post even after reading through the how to thread! ) I plan to TRY and do a live report. Do you use a camera phone, tablet or SLR camera to attatch a photo?
Regards as always
AQ
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:13 pm

KARFA, no offence meant regarding yours, I'm just about half way through all of your reports and they have also provided some great info, already in my little book, and they are a great read.
Absolutely none taken alwaysquestions. I have yet to do a live one like Billinghamn. I did do a rough draft of a TR for my own BRU-HNL run with nested HNL-SJU back in April but I haven't managed to finalise it yet. I am intending to do so during August so as it may be of interest - it was my first ever exEU booking and first TP run outisde Europe so I learnt a lot from it and it was actually quite enjoyable.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:48 pm

Billinghamn and KARFA, thanks for your input it's made me feel much happier about the turnaround
I intend to print both boarding passes before leaving LHR so I should be well prepared. The only luggage will be a small camera bag so everything will hopefully be rosey.

Billinghamn, would I be correct in thinking Billinghamv is due another at home party soon as you depart for distant shores again? If so, can we look forward to another of your fascinating TP run reports. Without doubt they have been a true inspiration.

With a bit of luck, and learning (still trying to put a photo in a post even after reading through the how to thread! ) I plan to TRY and do a live report. Do you use a camera phone, tablet or SLR camera to attatch a photo?
Regards as always
AQ
You are right in thinking I will be on my travels very soon. However billinghamv will be joining me on this more traditional holiday. I'm not sure how we will cope being together for so long, without the missus having a party back home, and me chatting up young ladies on flights! Perhaps we will just have to chat up and party together!

The next one involves ex-EU via BRU to JFK, MIA and finally SEA. Then a convertible road trip to the Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. Finally heading back to the coast, heading down to SFO via Napa Valley for wine tasting. Should be a top trip.

I decided not to take any risk with the trip to BRU and back so we have 4-5 hours at BRU waiting for the next flight out. I couldn't risk the wrath of the missus if something went wrong!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:14 am

Absolutely none taken alwaysquestions. I have yet to do a live one like Billinghamn. I did do a rough draft of a TR for my own BRU-HNL run with nested HNL-SJU back in April but I haven't managed to finalise it yet. I am intending to do so during August so as it may be of interest - it was my first ever exEU booking and first TP run outisde Europe so I learnt a lot from it and it was actually quite enjoyable.
Looking forward to it KARFA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.