Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I visited Hamburg in the last few days. It struck me that a B2B would be very easy here, as the plane disembarkation and embarkation is not segregated. Anything I’m missing?
Usually, that's correct. Have a look at the wikipost in this thread, which lists individual airports (and the thread itself has more commentary on HAM): Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Which Italian airport best for a b2b?

I'm fairly experienced now on b2b trips but would like some opinions for an upcoming trip.

I am looking to book our annual trip for Mrs AQ and myself to Tokyo. The best fares appear to be from Italy to LON to TYO so I need to work out the Italian starting point. The issue we have is that Mrs AQ unfortunately now has to walk with sticks and isn't very quick. This makes me wonder if rather than a b2b would you consider an am LON (LHR or LGW aren't a problem) departure and a pm return or a nightstop?
Obviously we wouldn't want to miss the first eu leg if the outbound to Italy was delayed.

I've considered a wheelchair to speed things up but to be honest I think that would actually slow us down!

Cheers

AQ
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
I'm fairly experienced now on b2b trips but would like some opinions for an upcoming trip.

I am looking to book our annual trip for Mrs AQ and myself to Tokyo. The best fares appear to be from Italy to LON to TYO so I need to work out the Italian starting point. The issue we have is that Mrs AQ unfortunately now has to walk with sticks and isn't very quick. This makes me wonder if rather than a b2b would you consider an am LON (LHR or LGW aren't a problem) departure and a pm return or a nightstop?
Obviously we wouldn't want to miss the first eu leg if the outbound to Italy was delayed.

I've considered a wheelchair to speed things up but to be honest I think that would actually slow us down!

Cheers

AQ
have a look at the b2b thread and especially the wiki for some specific airport advice. MXP is decent for a b2b

Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Thanks Karfa
I've been looking through the b2b and that's actually what prompted the question. Not having travelled through Italian airports in many years I haven't got any up to date experience. I'd be fine with a b2b but it was more of a "could it still be doable with Mrs AQ in tow" or would it be better to night stop or an AM-PM split.
Thanks for the confirmation about MXP, probably try that, or possibly VCE!

AQ
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Have another B2B coming up LHR-BRU-LHR-PVG.

But will be travelling with my Mrs. who's non-EU passport sometimes means that OLCI is not possible, particularly for the LHR-PVG leg.

Am I correct to assume that we will be able to work it out at LHR check-in desks in the morning and get BP's for all 3 flights prior to our initial outbound?
Worst case, we can get the LHR-BRU-LHR legs covered and have time to go landside at LHR if necessary. Just want to avoid going landside at BRU and EU customs.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
From experience yes, I did a LHR-GVA-LHR-ORD - and when checking in - they gave me all the BP's at LHR.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Trying to arrange positioning flights from GLA for an ex-AMS flight to Hong Kong.

We are booked on BA439, departing AMS at 16:10.

We have a number of options to get there, some are tighter than other, and looking for the FlyerTalk experts to advise which they think would be the best way to position.

1) KLM: GLA - AMS depart 06:05 arrive 08:45

Would rather avoid this as a very early start!

2) KLM: GLA - AMS depart 10:45 arrive 13:20

Price is £200 and is this long enough of a layover?

3) Position to LGW the night before and then depart 11:00 arrive 13.25

Available as a redemption and net cheaper including hotel.

4) Position to LHR the night before and then either:

depart 08:20 arrive 10:40

depart 13:00 arrive 15:20 (B2B flight)

Again, available as a redemption and net cheaper even with hotel.

My preference would be to position to LHR the night before and take either of the above flights. Which is less risky? Would it be safe to take the B2B flight having left the bags at hotel at LHR and then collect and check in after arrival from AMS?

We are flying F to Hong Kong. Would we have access to the CCR on the positioning flight to AMS as we are travelling in F on the same day?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmacconnacher
Trying to arrange positioning flights from GLA for an ex-AMS flight to Hong Kong.

We are booked on BA439, departing AMS at 16:10.
4) Position to LHR the night before and then either:
depart 13:00 arrive 15:20 (B2B flight)
My preference would be to position to LHR the night before and take either of the above flights. Which is less risky? Would it be safe to take the B2B flight having left the bags at hotel at LHR and then collect and check in after arrival from AMS?

We are flying F to Hong Kong. Would we have access to the CCR on the positioning flight to AMS as we are travelling in F on the same day?
Definitely the 13:00 B2B from LHR - this is the only option I would even look at in this scenario!!

You will be able to use the CCR before your AMS positioning flight. You may also be able to check your luggage in for your HKG flight before flying to AMS - I've done this a few times and never had a problem in the F check-in area. But you should of course have a back-up plan in case they refuse, such as leaving it in your hotel as you mention, or using the rather eye-wateringly priced left luggage facility.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

This thread has been closed and archived. Please follow the new https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tinations.html thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.