Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:56 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the past it had a fairly crummy reputation for back to backs (see the B2B guide and wiki) and for connections generally. There are some connections at CDG which remain among the worse in Europe, notably any which involve BA to/from Qatar or Sri Lankan. However CDG has put a lot of work on other connections and it's not as bad as it once was, particularly if staying within the same part of T2C-T2A, for example. The other factor is that France tends to have the same fares / sales cycle as other parts of Europe so it's often the case that ex BRU, LUX, AMS, CPH (etc) are simply cheaper and all are easier than CDG. Even within France, LYS, NCE or perhaps MRS would be better than CDG and typically similar fares.
Well explained, thank you!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Quick question for doing a BtB prior to a TATL (eg LHR-AMS then AMS-LHR-JFK). I’ve usually had an overnight stop prior to starting the return but am now contemplating a true BtB. If a documentation check is required for the flight to JFK then would this be done at the gate desk for the AMS-LHR, and presumably no issue in getting the BPs for the AMS originated flights (as clearly no time to go through security back to the BA check-in desks)?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Just wondering what the situation is these days on the following. Returning from the US to OSL, LHR-OSL is likely to be the day following US-LHR. Will the bags come out automatically, or will they stay at LHR overnight. My wife will be going to OSL (for the TPs) but wondering whether she could do that the following day, having taken her bags home and therefore she could do B2B.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Just wondering what the situation is these days on the following. Returning from the US to OSL, LHR-OSL is likely to be the day following US-LHR. Will the bags come out automatically, or will they stay at LHR overnight. My wife will be going to OSL (for the TPs) but wondering whether she could do that the following day, having taken her bags home and therefore she could do B2B.
There's a bit of detail about the current situation for a back-to-back at OSL towards the end of this thread: Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations. Basically, it should be feasible, particularly if the non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfer channel is open as that makes it easy, but probably OK even if you have to clear immigration twice plus security because the distances are short.

If you have an overnight in London between US-LHR and LHR-OSL, the consistent advice is that the bags can be short-checked to LHR if you want; they can also be through-checked if you prefer, if the stop in London is scheduled for less than 24 hours.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There's a bit of detail about the current situation for a back-to-back at OSL towards the end of this thread: Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations. Basically, it should be feasible, particularly if the non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfer channel is open as that makes it easy, but probably OK even if you have to clear immigration twice plus security because the distances are short.

If you have an overnight in London between US-LHR and LHR-OSL, the consistent advice is that the bags can be short-checked to LHR if you want; they can also be through-checked if you prefer, if the stop in London is scheduled for less than 24 hours.
That's great - thank you. Avoiding any faff with bags would be much better because she could then just do B2B. She can ask at the desk in the US to check the bag(s) to LHR.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Prospero

Terminal facilities
  • Wifi: free session capped at 120 minutes.
  • Toilets: main concourse near departure gates.
  • Food/beverage/book shop: News Bar and Kiosk in the Gate 50-59 zone
  • OSL Lounge: enroute between security and passport control, located near Gate 39 above duty free
  • Terminal map [pdf]

Variables
Two sets of passport control - at arrivals and again enroute to the departure gate. See here for more information

FT back to back turn-around rating: Reasonable
FT airside transfer rating: Reasonable
FT landside transfer rating: Reasonable
Update is needed as OSL have been expanded with new gates and gates have been renumbered:

* Free WiFi (2 hrs, can be renewed, unlimited in lounge)
* All non-schengen arrivals/departuers are from F-gates (F24-28 are bus-gates)
* OSL-lounge in schengen-area (close to gate E2, above duty-free)
* Food/beverage/shops: After passport-control: Duty free, kiosk, cafe and bar
* International Schengen-transfer after passport-control by gate E12/E13
* Transfer non-Schengen to non-Schengen by contacting boarder control (probably quicker to go via Schengen transit)
* Terminal maps: https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-ai...your-trip/map/
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I have a feeling that I'm getting somewhat decent at this. I just made a 1337 fare (literally) to go to Montreal sometime this year. Was going to pay ~900 GBP to do a direct in premium econ anyway, so I thought I might as well upgrade, find an ex-EU fare, and go for gold this year I also wanted to try the 747 and 777 business classes so that works out beautifully (hopefully I'll get a chance to try first on both later...)

A few questions now I guess:

- Any way to make this better with regards to price or TPs? I've done 20 hour flight itineraries in basic economy so I think I'll be ok doing something that long in business class
- The only thing I couldn't get rid of is the long layover in JFK. Any way to sleep in the airport itself? (Maybe not the best thread to ask so I'll ask somewhere else if no one here knows.)
- Also, provided there is availability, can I upgrade any of those LHR-JFK legs with avios to first? I'd love to visit both CCR back to back.

Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
@thebigben I think you have found yourself in the wrong topic! The Tier Point discussion thread is this one: BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread You'll find lots of information there that will assist you ^
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
@thebigben I think you have found yourself in the wrong topic! The Tier Point discussion thread is this one: BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread You'll find lots of information there that will assist you ^
Ah, yes indeed I was on the wrong window, sorry!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:19 am

Just to double-check... let's say I have the following nested tickets

Ticket 1: LHR-AMS // AMS-LHR
Ticket 2: AMS-LHR-JFK // JFK-LHR-AMS

And let's say both stops in LHR on ticket 2 are overnight. Something like I arrive from AMS at 9pm and continue the next day at 7am to JFK. Can I just check in my bags in LHR on ticket 2 and short-check them back to LHR on the return?

It would be a lot more convenient not having to reclaim luggage twice in AMS
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thebigben
Just to double-check... let's say I have the following nested tickets

Ticket 1: LHR-AMS // AMS-LHR
Ticket 2: AMS-LHR-JFK // JFK-LHR-AMS

And let's say both stops in LHR on ticket 2 are overnight. Something like I arrive from AMS at 9pm and continue the next day at 7am to JFK. Can I just check in my bags in LHR on ticket 2 and short-check them back to LHR on the return?
In the AMS-LHR-JFK direction, the answer is certainly yes.

And in the JFK-LHR-AMS direction, consistent advice here is (as I said) that they can be short-checked to LHR if you have an overnight stop there before continuing to AMS the next day.

This would mean that you could do both LHR-AMS//AMS-LHR pairs as back-to-backs, unencumbered by checked bags, if that is what you are wondering about.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:11 am

In the AMS-LHR-JFK direction, the answer is certainly yes.

And in the JFK-LHR-AMS direction, consistent advice here is (as I said) that they can be short-checked to LHR if you have an overnight stop there before continuing to AMS the next day.

This would mean that you could do both LHR-AMS//AMS-LHR pairs as back-to-backs, unencumbered by checked bags, if that is what you are wondering about.
Excellent thanks, I was mostly having doubts about the outbound, so that does sort it all out
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Some clarification for the LUX b2b

If you're off the plane first, the member of airport staff will call security who will come down and let you through the transfer doors for the security check.

One of the police border guys will come out the back of his passport checking box and give your passport a once over before waving you back through to gate 5 for boarding.

The whole process took slightly over 5 minutes.

They are in the process of installing the automatic passport gates, so the transfer route should become easier when they go live in the next few weeks.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Some clarification for the LUX b2b
Thanks for that, the direct transfer door (on the left a little way after leaving the airbridge) has previously not been useable but @Pilot37 noted that the machinery had received a dusting down recently:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29865481-post2325.html

This thread benefits and suffers from the parallel thread referenced above, but I'll put a note in there and the wiki to clarify. As has been often noted in the main thread, the previous way is relatively quick too, and won't be dependent on staff goodwill. If going to the lounge for a quick coffee then going landside is probably still best since it is close to main security, and they are quite efficient at this small airport.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I visited Hamburg in the last few days. It struck me that a B2B would be very easy here, as the plane disembarkation and embarkation is not segregated. Anything I’m missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.