Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 4:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by adnando
Have you tried the novotel at all?
No, I'm afraid not, or not that I can recall.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Dan Air lifetime Gold
I wonder if anyone is able to offer advice about turnaround times at CDG given the latest flash sale - particularly BA to AA, which I believe are both in 2A, and if a security clearance is required. Many thanks
Old May 6, 2016, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mr 1A
I wonder if anyone is able to offer advice about turnaround times at CDG given the latest flash sale - particularly BA to AA, which I believe are both in 2A, and if a security clearance is required. Many thanks
There's a bit in the back to back thread recently on this. But you do have to clear security at a central point, which may get jammed up, is just as thorough as LHR, and can be a distance from the gate. From there you need to walk back again. Though transfers at CDG are much improved on a few years back, I still would not recommend a back to back unless you have the appetite for risk or perhaps it was the return leg after longhaul sectors had been completed.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I'm looking at booking OSL-CPT next March on QR for a little over £1,200 in R with a reasonable cancellation fee of USD400. At this price it would be rude not to. I'd book RFS for the ex-LHR connecting flights.

I've done B2B many times over the years and understand the risks. This one is different.

Can the experts please offer advice on these scenarios:
  • fly BA LHR-OSL 'connecting' to QR OSL-CPT, similar on return
  • fly BA LHR-OSL, overnight in Oslo, next day fly QR OSL-CPT, similar on return

My preference would be the first, especially as the second increases the length of the trip by 2 days. However, I was burnt by one of my Viking trips when BA cancelled connecting flights and rebooking alternatives were unviable.

Thanks very much.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
How much time do you have between connections at OSL??

Originally Posted by Roger
I'm looking at booking OSL-CPT next March on QR for a little over £1,200 in R with a reasonable cancellation fee of USD400. At this price it would be rude not to. I'd book RFS for the ex-LHR connecting flights.

I've done B2B many times over the years and understand the risks. This one is different.

My preference would be the first, especially as the second increases the length of the trip by 2 days. However, I was burnt by one of my Viking trips when BA cancelled connecting flights and rebooking alternatives were unviable.

Thanks very much.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Roger
I would overnight on the outbound, and connect on the return, unless the outbound had a lot of spare time involved. OSL isn't the easiest station to make connections. More details on the mechanics in the back to back thread linked above.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would overnight on the outbound, and connect on the return, unless the outbound had a lot of spare time involved. OSL isn't the easiest station to make connections. More details on the mechanics in the back to back thread linked above.
Have just done exactly that this morning. Booked OSL > CPT via DOH return next March with an overnight at OSL on the outbound and a few hours transit in OSL on the return leg to LHR. Wasn't sure about potential weather delays at that time of year so thought it prudent to have plenty of leeway.
Great price at £2600 for 2 of us; worth the long layover in DOH both ways (I understand the lounge there will make the long wait a little easier to bear?).
Old May 6, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr 1A
if a security clearance is required.
Back to back at CDG? I think you need Très Secret-Défense
Old May 7, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
How much time do you have between connections at OSL??
Not yet booked. That will be the next step.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would overnight on the outbound, and connect on the return, unless the outbound had a lot of spare time involved.
Thanks, that looks practical.

[whisper to self: unless the AKL deal is practical, not much time to decide. ]
Old May 31, 2016, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Question for the experts:

I'm looking at booking DUB-LHR-JFK-LHR-DUB.

I would fly to DUB in the morning, and then do a back2back to LHR.

I have to take baggage with me, but don't want to shlep it to DUB to begin with.

Am I able to leave it in the car at LHR, exit immigration after my DUB-LHR flight, check in the baggage, and then fly LHR-JFK straight after?

The GGL Line don't seem certain.

Many thanks

M
Old May 31, 2016, 2:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes you can.

EDIT: subject to having enough time between flights but I am guessing you have accounted for that already.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes you can.
Thanks KARFA - your P.S. is precisely what the lady has just advised me.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm looking at booking DUB-LHR-JFK-LHR-DUB.
Can I now be a pendant and say that (AFAIK) Ireland is not part of the mainland?

I'll get my goat...
Old May 31, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Can I now be a pendant and say that (AFAIK) Ireland is not part of the mainland?

I'll get my goat...
That's bad, even for you!
Old May 31, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by henkybaby

I'll get my goat...
Did you use to post on A.F.U by any chance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.