Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by Stormbel
    I am thinking about the ba Amex card. As Amex withdrew from the Lloyds Duo card I was hoping to take advantage of the bonus Avios but, if I remember correctly - if had any Amex card during the previous 12 months I don't get that.
    So disappointing as it wasn't me who chose to have Amex withdrawn.
    It’s now 24 months but only cards issued by Amex count - not the Lloyds cards so you are fine.

In fact ALL Amex cards count against the Gold/Platinum bonus but only BA cards count against the BA card bonuses. So if you want to, you can get yourself a Gold or Platinum card with a bonus, and then a BA Premium Plus card with a second bonus, in that order specifically.
    Stormbel likes this.
    Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
    Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
    I have a BA Premium Plus card and spend substantially above the £10,000 threshold for the 2-for-1 voucher. I am wondering if I should switch some spending to another card to maximize avios and other travel benefits. The Amex Platinum card has some good benefits if a reasonably high annual fee. I wondered if other FlyerTalk members mix their on BA Amex and other cards - any recommendations? Also any Amex Platinum card holders here - again any comments?

Thanks in advance!
    HSBC Premier Elite MasterCard, gives some good earning on the non Amex side of the fence for when you get stuck. It earns HSBC points that can be converted - effective rate is £1 per Avios.

You do need to put some business their way and have either £75k income or £50k savings. Worth some admin if only to get the sign up bonus.
    rum and LondonTechTraveller like this.
    Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
    I know it's been done before but since Amex tightened up all its rules recently ie 24 months between cards before getting another sign-up bonus etc I am not sure whether this still stands

I've been a BA Blue Amex since I joined. My husband had the BAPP now cancelled after we hit our 241. Currently he is a supplementary cardholder on my account. We've hit £9k spend and year end is in Jan 2020. Will I be able to transfer that spend over to a BAPP to trigger another 241. I am aware I wont get a sign-up bonus so I could downgrade back to the free card shortly afterwards?
    Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
    Originally Posted by FEMW
    I know it's been done before but since Amex tightened up all its rules recently ie 24 months between cards before getting another sign-up bonus etc I am not sure whether this still stands

I've been a BA Blue Amex since I joined. My husband had the BAPP now cancelled after we hit our 241. Currently he is a supplementary cardholder on my account. We've hit £9k spend and year end is in Jan 2020. Will I be able to transfer that spend over to a BAPP to trigger another 241. I am aware I wont get a sign-up bonus so I could downgrade back to the free card shortly afterwards?
    Should work fine
    Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
    Deleted.

Last edited by alex67500; Aug 8, 2019 at 9:23 am Reason: General silliness
    Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
    Question about the offer on the card for 1,000 Avios with a £100.00 spend with BA.

Has anybody triggered this with a phone spend? Terms say online only but they’re sometimes wrong 😂
    Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
    Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
    Question about the offer on the card for 1,000 Avios with a £100.00 spend with BA.

Has anybody triggered this with a phone spend? Terms say online only but they’re sometimes wrong 😂
    Well my spend has gone through but I haven't seen the email saying I'd triggered it. Amex usually send one, so I'm not sure... And it was on the website for me.
    Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
    What is the average delay between being approved and the card actually arriving? I got the approval email over a week ago, have had other emails re activating my card etc. since, but no actual card.
    Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by abligh
    What is the average delay between being approved and the card actually arriving? I got the approval email over a week ago, have had other emails re activating my card etc. since, but no actual card.
    Have a chat with customer services

Usually its 7-10 days. Once or twice I have had approved applications stuck in the process somewhere. A quick chat with customer services usually moves it along.
    Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    Q about Green / Gold cards. I downgraded from Gold to Green 6-9 mths ago, as I was mainly using my secondary card on Mrs FF99's (free) Gold card, and wanted to reduce the fee on my (essentially inactive) card .

Now Mrs FF99 has to pay for her Gold card, is there anything to stop me cancelling her Gold Card or downgrading her from Gold to Green, and upgrading myself to Gold ? Will I then get the free year again on my new Gold card ? If Mrs FF99 refers me for Gold will she get referral bonus even though I have a Green card already (I appreciate no sign up bonuses now available) ? All far too complicated but I do resent paying the annual fees .....
    Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
    Q about Green / Gold cards. I downgraded from Gold to Green 6-9 mths ago, as I was mainly using my secondary card on Mrs FF99's (free) Gold card, and wanted to reduce the fee on my (essentially inactive) card .

Now Mrs FF99 has to pay for her Gold card, is there anything to stop me cancelling her Gold Card or downgrading her from Gold to Green, and upgrading myself to Gold ? Will I then get the free year again on my new Gold card ? If Mrs FF99 refers me for Gold will she get referral bonus even though I have a Green card already (I appreciate no sign up bonuses now available) ? All far too complicated but I do resent paying the annual fees .....
    The Gold card is now a credit card, so it’s not so closely related to your old Gold charge card, or the Green.

So yes if you apply for it, it should be treated as a new card - you should get the free year and your wife should get the referral.

Personally, if you can I would close your green, wait a month, and then get the Gold via referral. You shouldn’t get the sign up bonus, but there must be a chance. If that meant I had to pay a month of the wife’s card (£12) I still might.
    Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    Originally Posted by pauldb

The Gold card is now a credit card, so it’s not so closely related to your old Gold charge card, or the Green.

So yes if you apply for it, it should be treated as a new card - you should get the free year and your wife should get the referral.

Personally, if you can I would close your green, wait a month, and then get the Gold via referral. You shouldn’t get the sign up bonus, but there must be a chance. If that meant I had to pay a month of the wife’s card (£12) I still might.
    Thanks and I see the logic of your suggestion. My only issue is that I have kept rolling my card forward year by year so as to avoid having to commit my Amex points to a particular scheme (I already have more than enough Avios for a lifetime !). If there were any way to do that whilst at the same time cancelling the Green card, I would love to learn how.
    Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
    Thanks and I see the logic of your suggestion. My only issue is that I have kept rolling my card forward year by year so as to avoid having to commit my Amex points to a particular scheme (I already have more than enough Avios for a lifetime !). If there were any way to do that whilst at the same time cancelling the Green card, I would love to learn how.
    Amex now have a rewards credit card with no fee. Will keep your rewards alive.
    Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:18 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry, I havent followed this thread all the way through. One of the uses I use for my amex points is on amazon. I appreciate some might not think its worth the money, but I have continually found it quicker and easier to spend, than transferring to avios and trying to find flights during the right time frame. Previously I have used avios points to buy wine, as well...
    Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by alex67500
    Well my spend has gone through but I haven't seen the email saying I'd triggered it. Amex usually send one, so I'm not sure... And it was on the website for me.
    has anyone actually received the 1,000 avios bonus? The Amex app says I’ve redeemed it but there’s no sign of the bonus in my BA transactions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.