Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC
In my personal experience, FlyMayBe are too quick to cancel a service for a multitude of reasons which means I wouldn’t book with them again and maybe a lot of people think the same. Wouldn’t surprise me if they did fold but that would be harsh for those living in the southwest.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
They got the slots for free as part of the bmi deal with BA. Virgin used them first for Little Red.

Not sure how well they are doing load wise, I used them twice and each flight was packed. With their new Avios deal (3 per £1 spent) you'll end up with more Avios per booking than on a cheap BA ticket. But no TP naturally.
Now 6 points per £1 for a while. See this mornings head for points.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's not a particularly compelling deal, even at the 6 avios level given the short window for travel and the existence of the double base avios offer from BT for much of that period. 1000 avios for a £200 ticket (to take the HfP example) is an incidental extra, not a traffic driver, especially when you factor in the very real risk Flybe may go bust.

I wouldn't book them for anything important like a holiday in their current state. There are costs beyond simply reclaiming the fare from a credit card, especially hotels or if you get stranded, or just disappointment and loss of annual leave. And certainly not on the basis of a tenner's worth of avios.

Flybe are very niche and very unclearly positioned against low cost carriers. They do seem to have cost issues, and the board are not confident about being able to continue in their current form. There are a lot of danger signals here.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:55 pm

Reports tonight that Virgin is preparing to make an offer for Flybe.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
To be fair it’s not a bad call from a VS Manchester point of view.

cs
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Sky's coverage of the Virgin offer for FlyBe: https://news.sky.com/story/virgin-at...flybe-11560548

That would give FlyBe a lot of opportunities for connecting traffic, not only into Virgin's network (which is not very large these days) but also into Delta and onwards to Skyteam. It even makes Edinburgh to Amsterdam able to connect to a lot of Delta flights, even if that distance on a Q400 is a bit slow.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:23 am

Also Flybe operating Newquay to LHR 4x a day from next spring increasingly 5x. So any tie with VS would give them something to feed.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:42 pm

Bitter rivals Sir Richard Branson and Willie Walsh are to lock horns in a bid battle for ailing regional carrier Flybe as experts warn failure of the country’s biggest regional airline could be catastrophic for a string of smaller airports.

After years of struggle, loss-making Flybe has put itself up for sale following warnings of “material uncertainty” over its future.

Multiple industry sources have told The Sunday Telegraph that British Airways owner IAG is in pole position to buy Flybe, with its regional network providing a useful link into British .Airways’ sprawling global hub at Heathrow. With low-cost rival easyJet counting itself out of the running on Tuesday, IAG boss Willie Walsh is...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-flybe-rescue/
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I still think iag will buy it. That’s why I posted the other thread on it

cs
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lfc84
Bitter rivals Sir Richard Branson and Willie Walsh are to lock horns in a bid battle for ailing regional carrier Flybe as experts warn failure of the country’s biggest regional airline could be catastrophic for a string of smaller airports.

After years of struggle, loss-making Flybe has put itself up for sale following warnings of “material uncertainty” over its future.

Multiple industry sources have told The Sunday Telegraph that British Airways owner IAG is in pole position to buy Flybe, with its regional network providing a useful link into British .Airways’ sprawling global hub at Heathrow. With low-cost rival easyJet counting itself out of the running on Tuesday, IAG boss Willie Walsh is...

Really? Flybe's 2/3 routes (2 of which are already served by BA) are a "useful link" for BA!?

That being said, I think it would make sense for IAG still. They can alter the route network over time to provide more feed but also run it as a LCC as with Vueling.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It may be a tactic to push up the price a rival pays but it is hard to see how Flybe would fit with BA.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999
Really? Flybe's 2/3 routes (2 of which are already served by BA) are a "useful link" for BA!?

That being said, I think it would make sense for IAG still. They can alter the route network over time to provide more feed but also run it as a LCC as with Vueling.
Yep this bit of the story doesn’t make sense. The Scotland flights would surely end up in competition rules issues anyway given the history of that.

However it doesnt seem far fetched that’s IAG might be interested. The Capital Markets Day presentation show that they seem the European market consolidating and the IAG model of differrent types of airline under the same parent works.

The other part of this is London City. Taking over Flybe’s routes would help them cement a ‘fortress’ London City
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lfc84
I've read the full version and there isn't any detail that specifically connects IAG with flybe. The connection appears to be "industry experts" think it could / should be happening.

Realistically IAG has a good track record in transforming airlines (whether we like it or not) and if £50m is all it would take then IAG merely needs to dip into the petty cash tin to snaffle up flybe. But is a fairly profitable future flybe worth the hassle to IAG?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I could certainly imagine the logic of IAG giving the impression they will bid, just to ensure that Virgin don't get it on the cheap... The competition issue would appear significant, and I assume would result in IAG having to offload some slots/routes.

Flybe certainly have some routes that would be profitable - very frequently the first SOU-MAN or SOU-GLA of the day will be sold out. That said, I have done SOU-DUS quite a few times where each passenger gets a row to themselves. Whether some of the leisure routes are as well loaded I am not sure, although they certainly are not cheap.

Flybe do have some very useful services, and it would be a shame to see them go. I have to admit to some bias, as I can walk to SOU from my house. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I’d be very surprised if the buyout went ahead. Not looking good for Wow...

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8655671.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.