Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Worcester
No apparently FlyBe have codeshares which feed traffic to Virgin in MAN.
Codeshare list is here: https://www.flybe.com/virginatlantic

14 routes into MAN, 4 into GLA, 1 into LGW (soon none).
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
I think this acquisition is a good fit for VS who have been heavily expanding at MAN (along with Delta) over the past few years which could really help push the UK Government's Northern Powerhouse project. Also, BE fly to AMS and CDG which will link into AFKL hubs once the JV is up and running that Virgin is getting involved in along with DL. I doubt you will see many feeder flights coming into LHR (VS will no doubt use these slots for Long haul once the rules around the ABZ and EDI flights are sorted - additionally, i'm guessing the NQY flight may stay or move back to LGW - could we see more feeders to LGW?).

Question that i keep asking is a) what will happen to avios - obvs this will go but what is the cost implication - would the new airline buy out the avios owned by BE avios card holders b) what happens with the EI routes Stobart fly on behalf? i know they can carry on, but i am sure IAG wouldn't like a Virgin led company flying on their behalf?!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ajws_83
I think this acquisition is a good fit for VS who have been heavily expanding at MAN (along with Delta) over the past few years which could really help push the UK Government's Northern Powerhouse project. Also, BE fly to AMS and CDG which will link into AFKL hubs once the JV is up and running that Virgin is getting involved in along with DL. I doubt you will see many feeder flights coming into LHR (VS will no doubt use these slots for Long haul once the rules around the ABZ and EDI flights are sorted - additionally, i'm guessing the NQY flight may stay or move back to LGW - could we see more feeders to LGW?).

Question that i keep asking is a) what will happen to avios - obvs this will go but what is the cost implication - would the new airline buy out the avios owned by BE avios card holders b) what happens with the EI routes Stobart fly on behalf? i know they can carry on, but i am sure IAG wouldn't like a Virgin led company flying on their behalf?!
I don't think IAG will care, as long as it makes money.
You can still credit EI flights to Star Alliance due to their link up with UA, earn Avios on EK via QF etc.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Germania is the latest airline to say they are experiencing, stress...

https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charpentreau/22236-narrow-escape-germania-finds-answer-to-financial-woes
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
DY had at least 2 Dreamliners parked up at BHX about 4 months ago, engines off. Presumably these were awaiting fixes from RR and were being handled by Monarch Engineering?
FlyBe took over the Monarch Engineering at BHX & MAN - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-46758200
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
It seems that IAG have bought some LGW slots from FlyBe (announced at 16:25 yesterday - Friday 11 Jan). We know that FlyBe will start up NQY-LHR soon so I guess it is bye bye to NQY-LGW.

Originally Posted by Flybe Group plc
Flybe Group plc announces that today Flybe Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary, signed an agreement with Vueling Airlines S.A. (the "Agreement") to receive a total of £4,500,000 (four-and-a-half-million pounds) in respect of slots at London Gatwick Airport. The funds will be paid in two tranches, being receivable in the next few days in respect of slots to be used during the Summer Season in 2019 and for subsequent Summer Seasons. The remainder is due in June 2019 in respect of slots to be used during the Winter Season in 2019/20 and subsequent Winter Seasons.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Interesting that the slots were bought by Vueling specifically and not IAG.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Yes. Presumably lo-co/lo-co transfer on the more viable routes?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:31 am

Some tax advantages perhaps?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:32 am
Suspended

More opportunities for VY’s high density A321s.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Some tax advantages perhaps?
Could be, or some other accounting/finance reason, or simply because VY is the airline currently planning to use them. Whichever it is, IAG effectively has control of them now (subject of course to any Brexit-related shenanigans).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
As IAG is not an airline, the slots sit with the individual carriers in the group.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I'm curious as to why Connect Airways has no interest in retaining the LGW slots through the purchase of FlyBe
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
To answer above. Yes when NQY-LHR starts x4 daily we will see the end of the x3 LGW service.

This would of been good news had the BA codeshare been kept, however the vs announcement explains why the codeshare will stop.

With the end of the codeshare to NQY it only leaves the EIr operates by STK as the only OW access to NQY

i suzpect if BA desperately wanted to serve Cornwall that there are ample lgw slots knocking around that could be used. Equally I wouldn’t discount a cheeky summer LCY-NQY service in the future. However for now with the exception of the daily DUB it’s bye bye to NQY on a BA code.

cs
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Sealink
Germania is the latest airline to say they are experiencing, stress...

https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charpentreau/22236-narrow-escape-germania-finds-answer-to-financial-woes
Pure speculation but I wonder if Germania would not be a good fit for IAG after the passing of Air Berlin. Germany is the biggest market in Europe and under served by OW and a LCC in Germany might serve as a good source of TATL traffic from the secondary cities.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.