Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Time to stick my card on eBay while the going's good

Attached Images  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Time to stick my card on eBay while the going's good

The FAP card (LOL...) looks very good indeed.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:43 pm

When the fuel companies demand cash before refueling,then its getting serious.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
It's all looking very precarious now, will they last another week?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by headingwest
It's all looking very precarious now, will they last another week?
Of course they will. They will get a bridge loan to continue OPS for a few weeks/months, while they decide what to do with the airline.

Somewhat like Swissair without the grounding.

The stakes are too high, letting it go bust is an Italian politician's nightmare.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
The stakes are too high, letting it go bust is an Italian politician's nightmare.
It seems public opinion has moved on and the politicians need not contemplate another bucket of money or ways to contravene EU state aid rules.

According to a poll quoted here 77% of Italians think it should be left to fail.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by stewardo
It seems public opinion has moved on and the politicians need not contemplate another bucket of money or ways to contravene EU state aid rules.

According to a poll quoted here 77% of Italians think it should be left to fail.
I still think the Italian govt is scared of the unions. I believe they will do anything in their power to not let it fails. I think it will be sold off to someone for a bargain, without the baggage that comes with the staff you cannot sack. That would be the best situation.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Formal bankruptcy proceedings started for Alitalia..

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ali...-idUKKBN17Y1AF

Can't see IAG or anyone else making an offer...
Old May 2, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Formal bankruptcy proceedings started for Alitalia..

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ali...-idUKKBN17Y1AF

They would be ill advised to, buy the company and you buy along with it all the staff contracts and liabilities etc. There have been multiple attempts to turn the company around, all have failed. Better to start from scratch.

I wonder if BA will be able to put on more flights to Italy and connect them to the US? Or IAG rolling out Level in Italy first?
Old May 2, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
The Lufthansa Italia offshoot didn't last long, if the Germans can't make it work I'm not sure the British/Spanish joint effort will fare any better.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
They might buy their entire stock of paninis on the cheap though!
Old May 2, 2017, 8:54 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by bhbloke
The Lufthansa Italia offshoot didn't last long, if the Germans can't make it work I'm not sure the British/Spanish joint effort will fare any better.
Because LHI was operating out of a wrong airport (MXP). If AZ goes bankrupt (hopefully not) and LIN opens up (for now AZ is a dominant player there) all airlines will rush to grab the slots. I am quite sure many airlines already think how to obtain extra aircraft and crews in the case AZ goes bankrupt (and opportunities to step in and grab the LIN slots arise).
Old May 2, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
The Lufthansa Italia offshoot didn't last long,...
I think that LH Italia failed because the Germans messed it up. Given that AZ has over 20 million passengers per year, there's definitely a market for an airline dedicated to the Italian market.

Setting up a new company with lower base costs and hiring personnel with new contracts could very well do the trick. Moreover, that airline would IMO require its own branding to be accepted among some Italians. You won't gain any favors by naming yourself Lufthansa Italia.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:06 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Worcester
Loss making (quite big losses on average)

Virgin Australia 24% owned

In China now, so cannot Google. But I believe there was an article on http://ausbt.com.au/ that both QF and VA will make money this year (QF actually made money last year, after gigantic losses in 2015).
Old May 2, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by TPJ
In China now, so cannot Google. But I believe there was an article on http://ausbt.com.au/ that both QF and VA will make money this year (QF actually made money last year, after gigantic losses in 2015).
Va is a bit of a basket case - continually raising capital to fund losses. Not a role model of how to run an airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.