Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA
I don't really like Mr. Branson or his businesses/brands.

Having said that, what someone is 'worth' and the amount of money they actually have or have access to is usually worlds apart.

To put it in layman's terms, someone earning a normal wage in London who purchased their house in the 90's and has paid their mortgage off now has a 'worth' of £1.3M. How much cash do they have access to? Probably no more than £100K.

Mr. Branson putting in £200M out of his £4B 'worth' is not a small amount of cash and at a time like this, it would be very difficult to get credit on a lot of what his 'worth' is tied up in. There is going to be a huge debt problem moving forwards and lenders aren't going to give cents on the dollar for much of the assets he owns.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:10 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by AlanA
Well, either Branson is trying it on, or the Pooh us going to hit the fan for a few airlines, can’t see IaG being gapoy about tjisvrequedt
Virgin ask for a bail out in hundreds of millions...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52066640
Minor point (from someone who currently has too much time on their hands... ). Pooh is a small bear and Poo is... well I think you were referring to something smelly perhaps?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Confus
IAG stood up yesterday and publicly said they didn’t want a bailout for precisely those reasons. But if the rest of the industry takes one, they kind of have to do the same, otherwise they immediately put themselves at a disadvantage.
if IAG does indeed have the resources to avoid a bailout then it should not take any government cash. I recall neither HSBC nor Barclays Bank took government funds in the 2008 financial crisis despite being offered the safety net.

Given the reluctance to refund cash and forcing people to take vouchers for cancelled flights and disabling the ability to get a cash refund online makes me think BA /IAG is not in as good a position as they would have us believe.

Remembering that 99.9% of the time we pay in advance for our flights what BA's actions have shown is that cash received for future flights is not set aside to fund the flight we actually fly. It is used to fund current operations and future bookings by other passengers pay for our actual flight. If that were not the case then BA would have a bank balance equal to all the future flights booked plus current reserves. That should be a very large figure.

It is for this reason that credit card suppliers withhold a large chunk of airline ticket sales from the airlines as a provision against their joint liability to the customer for airline failure to provide the promised service.(s75 of the UK Consumer Credit Act).
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:46 am

My only worry for IAG not wanting help from the government is that it might in whatever way, shape or form prevent employees from getting a helping hand from the taxpayer. I'm pretty damn sure that, in IAG or BA, this is seen as an opportunity. If I was a Worldwide/EF crew, an A6 (or higher) airport employee, a Technician (the grade that sits between Mech and LAE) or anyone on a "legacy" contract I'd have a bullseye on my back. My concern is that BA/IAG don't want help from the taxpayer to, effectively, cull most if not all legacy staff and pocket the savings.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by AJA_
if IAG does indeed have the resources to avoid a bailout then it should not take any government cash. I recall neither HSBC nor Barclays Bank took government funds in the 2008 financial crisis despite being offered the safety net.

Given the reluctance to refund cash and forcing people to take vouchers for cancelled flights and disabling the ability to get a cash refund online makes me think BA /IAG is not in as good a position as they would have us believe.

Remembering that 99.9% of the time we pay in advance for our flights what BA's actions have shown is that cash received for future flights is not set aside to fund the flight we actually fly. It is used to fund current operations and future bookings by other passengers pay for our actual flight. If that were not the case then BA would have a bank balance equal to all the future flights booked plus current reserves. That should be a very large figure.

It is for this reason that credit card suppliers withhold a large chunk of airline ticket sales from the airlines as a provision against their joint liability to the customer for airline failure to provide the promised service.(s75 of the UK Consumer Credit Act).
Im not sure if the above is what you thought happened or if you’re using it as an example for others, but it is a gross misstatement of how a large corporate manages their cash flow. In the same vein, my parents NI contributions from 40 years ago weren’t kept in a ring-fenced account to pay their state pension today.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 13901
....cull most if not all legacy staff and pocket the savings.
Big business continually looks at cutting its labour costs, if there’s an opportunity they’ll take it, irrespective of the circumstances.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
I don't really like Mr. Branson or his businesses/brands.

Having said that, what someone is 'worth' and the amount of money they actually have or have access to is usually worlds apart.

To put it in layman's terms, someone earning a normal wage in London who purchased their house in the 90's and has paid their mortgage off now has a 'worth' of £1.3M. How much cash do they have access to? Probably no more than £100K.

Mr. Branson putting in £200M out of his £4B 'worth' is not a small amount of cash and at a time like this, it would be very difficult to get credit on a lot of what his 'worth' is tied up in. There is going to be a huge debt problem moving forwards and lenders aren't going to give cents on the dollar for much of the assets he owns.
Having read his autobiography a few years ago, I seem to recall that Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells pretty much bankrolled Virgin for many years right up to the start of the airline.

I really rather doubt that SRB has £4bn in any sort of form that he could liquidise within days.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Having read his autobiography a few years ago, I seem to recall that Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells pretty much bankrolled Virgin for many years right up to the start of the airline.

I really rather doubt that SRB has £4bn in any sort of form that he could liquidise within days.
Part of his calculated net worth is, of course, based upon the perceived market value of his stake in the airline.
AdBoy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by AJA_
Based on this the question will be, is IAG strong enough to survive on it's own (HSBC style) or does it need to do the Barclays route of taking some middle eastern money?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by milkyway88
Based on this the question will be, is IAG strong enough to survive on it's own (HSBC style) or does it need to do the Barclays route of taking some middle eastern money?

it all depends on how long this lasts for. If people start booking again in 3 months time, it can probably ride it out with the cash it has. However if it goes on for a protracted period of time, I don't think any airline could survive with the level of fixed costs they have.

Schemes like the government's job retention scheme should help, as they could in theory shift the majority of cabin crew wages and others onto the government for a couple of months.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:00 am

A few years late, but maybe WW was right...(however I think WW would shed a tear to see an adversary fail in this way)

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-walsh-on-hold
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by milkyway88
Based on this the question will be, is IAG strong enough to survive on it's own (HSBC style) or does it need to do the Barclays route of taking some [more] middle eastern money?
Fixed that for you

IAG's largest shareholder is QR
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Fixed that for you

IAG's largest shareholder is QR
I don't think IAG have taken any money directly from QR or am i mistaken?

QR bought their shares on the open market, so you could argue QR have taken money from IAG through dividends
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells have bankrolled the entire Virgin empire right up to the present day... none of it would have happened without them.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Part of his calculated net worth is, of course, based upon the perceived market value of his stake in the airline.
And no doubt the perceived value of Necker Island

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.