Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by rapidex
Flybe's LHR slots are worth more than that. Just needs someone to come up with a great idea on how to use them with the current restrictions in place.
Exactly. Not sure the right to fly to Aberdeen and Edinburgh is worth much!

Flybe is still structurally profitable I think. Might just be top heavy on overhead given its history.

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The latest rumour is that Air Belgium, which currently is only wet leasing one of its aircraft for BA, is also on the verge of liquidation. https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/avi.../10060389.html
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
I'm fairly sure Flybe's LHR slots are still owned by BA, they were just forced to lend them to anyone who wanted to operated to MAN/EDI/GLA/ABZ after the bmi takeover.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by dylanks
The latest rumour is that Air Belgium, which currently is only wet leasing one of its aircraft for BA, is also on the verge of liquidation. https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/avi.../10060389.html
FWIW, there's a little more detail in this report: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/a...ue-or-to-stop/ (which was linked to from this post in one of the Air Belgium threads: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post30328230).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by nd100
But bear in mind that a Trustpilot score is not representative of a typical customer experience with any business because very few people bother to write a review on it unless they've got something to complain about. If 95% of customers are happy with the service, then the other 5% (and only they) will be on Trustpilot.
And TrustPilot reviews have been moderated...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
That would be about par with Primera in the "least surprising news of the year" charts.

How some of these business cases get signed off I do not know.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BrianDromey

Possible, but even at £62 million, does it represent a viable investement? flyBe has lost a total of 87milion since 2007, essentially it has never made money, although the pattern has been “boom” and “bust”. Now, it might be that leases, payments within the group, etc may be used ‘creatively’, as was alleged at bmi.

IAG demand ~10% return, if I recall. Is there any evidence that flyBe can offer that?
IAG has hired the ex-Flybe Cheif Strategy Officer as their Level CEO, so there may be something there?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
One launch customer and hope for more.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
IAG has hired the ex-Flybe Cheif Strategy Officer as their Level CEO, so there may be something there?
I doubt anything specific in that. The pool of candidates for a CEO with airline experience is pretty small.

Of course if IAG find themselves looking to acquire up parts of the Flybe business, then his inside knowledge of it will be of interest to members of the Board.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:20 pm
ECR

Originally Posted by BrianDromey

Possible, but even at £62 million, does it represent a viable investement? flyBe has lost a total of 87milion since 2007, essentially it has never made money, although the pattern has been “boom” and “bust”. Now, it might be that leases, payments within the group, etc may be used ‘creatively’, as was alleged at bmi.

IAG demand ~10% return, if I recall. Is there any evidence that flyBe can offer that?
I can't see IAG being interested, but I think if they were, there could be a lot of potential to increase revenue by rebranding to BA, BA Cityflyer, or something like BA Express or even FlyBA and selling seats through the BA website and app.

I know part of Flybe is made up what BA discarded ten years ago, but I think the market has changed a lot since then and is not solely focused on lowest cost. If you can even create the perception of anything slightly more premium (i.e. use of BA branding and also selling a couple of Club Europe seats on flights) there is a potential for slightly higher fares.

The difficulty Flybe face as Flybe is that they are in a crowded market space with Easyjet and Ryanair, and there is nothing really to attract you specifically towards Flybe and drive loyalty. They are not part of an alliance such as oneword, and they don't have a loyalty scheme which would make you choose to fly with them. You might get a few avios on Flybe, but you are more likely to spend those avios on BA.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles

Exactly. Not sure the right to fly to Aberdeen and Edinburgh is worth much!

Flybe is still structurally profitable I think. Might just be top heavy on overhead given its history.

The slots become usable for other destinations in a couple of years. Even if Flybe cant sell them they could perhaps lease them or come up with some other creative arrangement.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If FlyBE goes away then the South-West of the UK becomes much less well connected for business; quite a problem for a regional economy that already struggles to attract new employers because of bad transport links.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
The slots become usable for other destinations in a couple of years. Even if Flybe cant sell them they could perhaps lease them or come up with some other creative arrangement.
Flybe don't own the slots, BA do.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if Flybe cant sell them they could perhaps lease them or come up with some other creative arrangement.
AIUI, they have to use them themselves or they revert to BA.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Wow Air seems to be increasingly attracting the attention of the travel press...

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...fk-and-dallas/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.