Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:27 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Can someone in FT towers please enter the word "Apologist" in the naughty word filter. I'm getting fed up with seeing it used to dismiss an argument. I'm quite surprised to see Short Final using it, but it does get used too often and is divisive.

Every time my name is used on a plane by a CSD/M is that abusing DPA?

I've been told my CIV score in a roundabout way - "Mr itsmeitisss nice to have you on board, 97 flights, impressive! Please call me if you need anything. Enjoy your flight." I'm a low rent GGL, and may not be even that next year. And no, I didn't ask for my score.

I think more common sense is required. As a store manager I used to discuss the fact that a customer had been a long standing one. The notion that that might be breaking the law is crazy.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by mario
I don't feel the need to justify my reasons, but I'll bite.

It was A JOKE! I couldn't care less if my CIV is 1 or 1000. It just happened that I was travelling with someone who knows what the CIV is and it all started with a bit of banter, in the style of "mine is bigger than yours" sort of thing.
Yours is bigger than mine? Not knowing what CIV was (not a BA flyer), I actually only started reading this thread because I was afraid they tracked how much we drink on flights and maybe flag the "bad" pax for monitoring. =)

I'm surprised BA doesn't just tell their customers how valued they are directly. From everything I read here, it seems the CIV score is not normally revealed even to the specific customer in question.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
The OP could have politely refused to look at the PIL, perhaps politely reminding the (no doubt well meaning) member of cabin crew that this data is not meant for the eyes of passengers.
He declared he was drunk... does intent play into this in any way? any armchair lawyers here? =)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Padmeister
For god sake get a grip! You sound like a right prat!

Its not like the data is your bank details or the pin numbers for your credit cards! To most people the data is irrelevant and most people wouldn't even care!
And even with the PIN my CC issuer would flag ANY cash advance made as I have never made one in my entire credit history.
(Even if I did need to borrow money, I would NOT use a CC.)
As for bank details, they can see it just fine.
(It is mainly CC payments, deposits, and transfers to other accounts.)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by badoc
For those who are desperate to know, it is a number that BA assigns to the passenger that rates them on a scale from 0? to 100. Golds start at 36 - which I've always found amusing since this is the highest OW tier (emerald) and it only ranks just over a third of the way up the scale. Make of this what you will
Is it by chance based on actual revenue as opposed to miles flown? FF status is not necessarily correlated to spend. The biggest spenders I know have no statuses and fly from Toronto to Chicago at $1400 one-way, sitting in Y cabin. It's cheaper than chartering citation V, and I know they easily drop $50k/year into a single airline. No idea if the airline recognizes this tho...

Originally Posted by badoc
And if the OP was as inebriated as they might be, I doubt any of your personal data was recalled. Lets face it - what is on the manifest anyway? Name, seat number, OW status. Of course you could always be identified as a vegetarian
or that you're receiving a halal meal...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
As other people have mentioned, a breach of the DPA is a breach, you don't get big or small breaches.

Scenario.. bank to customer... oh we didn't tell the nice old lady any of your account details or any private information like that we only said you had banked with us for 20 years.

End result... nice old lady is ex wife of bank customer, who goes to her solicitor and says that her ex husband has maintained a bank account with ABC Bank for 20 years. Silicitor ensures that this bank account is included in divorce settlement..... but of course it was only a tiny breach of the DPA.....
Interesting example. Seems to me that this is a perfect example of why many people think this law more often protects the guilty than the innocent.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Short Final
If they undertake a transaction with a commercial entity, then there is an implied expectation of privacy, and in the case of an airline an expectation of security and safety. What if there was some high-profile individual on board, and the drunken people decided they didn't like them for political or whatever reasons and would go for some air rage ? (not saying it was the case in this particular situation, just speaking in general).
How would you feel if, at the gate, the gate agent asks for passenger "Short Final" to come to the desk. Please present yourself and publicly make yourself known that you are "Short Final"?

I suppose you could feign hearing impairment and just ignore the call, but it might be an upgrade!!!

Oh, it's awesome too when I hear both first and last name called out. Perhaps Mr. Final is a very common name, or in the case of foreign names, impossible for the GA to ascertain which is genuinely the first vs. last name.

*poke poke* the live cargo when I am in the zoo...

I still say the OP was over international waters, so take your UK acts and eat them. How do I know this? I invent facts while sitting in lounges.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by olybeast
You were being competitive about your CIV score? Some people need to get a life
there's a saying about kettles and pots or something.... this is your culture, not mine
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Incite. Still laughing at that one.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
(@:-) Diary note to self......leave it a couple of weeks and then start a thread about CIV scores, and note I was shown the manifest.)
Then:
Follow the Fireworks Code.
• Keep fireworks in a closed box

• Follow the instructions on each firework

• Light all fireworks at arms length

• Stand well back

• Never go back to a lit firework

• Never put fireworks in your pocket

• Never throw fireworks

• Keep Pets indoors

Unlike some, I find it all utterly amusing!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Which act if you're flying over international waters?
The aircraft is a G reg (UK) aircraft.

The company that operates the aircraft is a UK company.

Need I say more.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by stevieed
Can't we all just get along? We're a group of intelligent people who share many of the same passions in life. Our intelligence, varied upbringings, varied life's mean we all have different opinions. But that doesn't mean mine is more or less valid than anyone else's.
But mine is bigger than yours!!!

I think the spirit of the OP (at time of supposed breach) was sporting, the goal of which was to entertain himself and a companion with silly chat. This is exactly in keeping with the spirit you mention, and I wholeheartedly agree this is ultimately the goal of any system of jurisprudence: peace.

Originally Posted by stevieed
We all act in a very decent manner when we meet for DO's so why not mirror that on this board?
There's more (seeming) anonymity in the forum than face to face. Seems to me a lot of people behave less civilly when there's a sense they won't be "caught" doing so. Or rather, maybe people behave more civilly in person since they will have to deal with the consequences (ie, retort, rebuttal, or retaliation in various forms) immediately.

Sometimes it's just fun to fling your dung around. And in my case, to increase my post count so mine is just as big as yours!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by whiskerxx
(@:-) Diary note to self......leave it a couple of weeks and then start a thread about CIV scores, and note I was shown the manifest.)
Then:
Follow the Fireworks Code.
• Keep fireworks in a closed box

• Follow the instructions on each firework

• Light all fireworks at arms length

• Stand well back

• Never go back to a lit firework

• Never put fireworks in your pocket

• Never throw fireworks

• Keep Pets indoors

Unlike some, I find it all utterly amusing!
It is not against the Data Protection Law to see your CIV.

What is against the Data Protection Law is for the list of passengers on the flight to be given to you to have a look at.

I think the mods should close this thread because other than people enjoying insulting each other, it is getting nowhere fast.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: MUCCI
Thank you Littlegirl. The sack bit was admittedly probably stringing it out a bit, but I do feel they do need a good talking to by their line manager and a resit of their data protection exam scheduled ASAP.

Now can we all let this thread die ?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Short Final
What if there was some high-profile individual on board, and the drunken people decided they didn't like them for political or whatever reasons and would go for some air rage ?
I'd say that dude ain't that high profile if he's flying on the same metal as me. We are talking about commercially available seats, not private jets.

Besides, if there was some high profile dude onboard, I'd expect s/he's publicly identifiable by merely gazing at his face/stance/gait/etc... Such an individual has decidedly become "public" and has given up some privacy as a result. (the right/wrong of which is not within the scope of an airline/pax to decide)

Privacy is a myth of insecurity, especially when frolicking among the public. (ie, on a plane with others, in a public library, walking on the public streets, etc.) Society is grand ain't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.