FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1485373-want-know-your-civ-score-just-ask-then.html)

mario Jul 16, 2013 10:27 am

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Some days ago I was on a flight where a significant amount of alcohol was ingested in a very short amount of time.

Fuelled by the drinks and by my companion, who also happens to be a GCH and almost as competitive as me :D, I ended up asking if she wouldn't mind telling us what our corresponding CIV scores were.

To my surprise, the CC said she didn't know what a CIV score was and that the PIL only showed what sort of card each pax had. :rolleyes:

I then proceeded to explain to her, roughly, what the CIV score was and where it could be found on the PIL: "it's the two-digit number next to the pax card type".

Still, confused, she just handed over the PIL to us so that we could have a look for ourselves. Low and behold, the CIV was clearly printed there for all status holders on the flight.

Shouldn't all cabin crew now what the CIV is? I guess it's not really that important but isn't this part of their training?

Short Final Jul 16, 2013 10:31 am

That's a serious breach of the data protection act she committed. Passengers should not be handed copies of the manifest.

It also goes to show that you're not going to get treated any differently on board based upon your CIV !

csdavidson Jul 16, 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Short Final (Post 21106495)
That's a serious breach of the data protection act she committed. Passengers should not be handed copies of the manifest.

That's what I was thinking!

OP has also not told us their score... was it quite low? :p

T8191 Jul 16, 2013 11:26 am

Anyway, mario, it's Lo! And Behold! :)

Hope you are well, and that your CIV prospers.

Littlegirl Jul 16, 2013 11:39 am

I can't beleive this crew member did not know what a CIV was and that they handed you the passenger information list!
Was this the in charge crew member, I hope not!!

Scots_Al Jul 16, 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Short Final (Post 21106495)
That's a serious breach of the data protection act she committed.

A breach, yes, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a fairly minor breach of the DPA - it affected a limited number of people, and contained a limited amount of personal data.

It shouldn't have happened, but let's not get OTT!

HighLife Jul 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 21107116)
but let's not get OTT!

Haha! This is not the place to expect calm and relative morality!

The absolutists will be on their way soon :D

Royce Jul 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 21107116)
A breach, yes, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a fairly minor breach of the DPA - it affected a limited number of people, and contained a limited amount of personal data.

It shouldn't have happened, but let's not get OTT!

Quite agree, poor form, but fairly minor, and as it's not the information stored on computer that you had access to (rather, a facsimile of it), it would depend on the Information Commissioner's call as to whether a copy of the PIL is a "relevant filing system" as defined under the act.

dodgeflyer Jul 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mario (Post 21106471)
Some days ago I was on a flight where a significant amount of alcohol was ingested in a very short amount of time.

Originally Posted by Short Final (Post 21106471)
That's a serious breach of the data protection act she committed. Passengers should not be handed copies of the manifest

Probably wasn't that serious in the end... :eek:

orbitmic Jul 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl (Post 21106960)
I can't beleive this crew member did not know what a CIV was and that they handed you the passenger information list!
Was this the in charge crew member, I hope not!!

I'm very surprised by both things too. The BA crew I have dealt with over the years are far more professional than that so it must really be an unusually weak link!

johnny5a Jul 16, 2013 12:27 pm

to be honest, often I see the manifest lying around especially on a long haul where often the galley is often unmanned.

Skimo Jul 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Well to be fair to the crew member, we have never had training on CIV scores. I don't even remember the company communicating anything officially about it to the crew community. I'm willing to bet that a significant percentage of any given longhaul crew compliment wouldn't know what CIV was. It's what really annoys me about BA. They offer very little ongoing, proper (offline) customer service training.

JALlover Jul 16, 2013 12:32 pm

what does CIV score stand for?

FlyingB1975 Jul 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Epic fail by BA

Let me start off by saying that the OP was way out of line in asking for the PIL. It is one thing for a BA employee who may not have been aware of the full scope of the UK privacy regulation to hand over a sensitive and private document, but it is way worse for someone to incite this sort of inappropriate behaviour. The OP being intoxicated may explain this, but it certainly does not excuse it.

Still, confused, she just handed over the PIL to us so that we could have a look for ourselves. Low and behold, the CIV was clearly printed there for all status holders on the flight.

This is clearly out of line. If this is the way BA protects my personal data, then I shall consider very carefully if I should ever fly with them again.

Shouldn't all cabin crew now what the CIV is? I guess it's not really that important but isn't this part of their training?

I agree. All cabin members should know how to read the PIL. Then again, the OP should know the difference between now and know. Maybe the OP's first language is not English - but even then, this is a pretty basic mistake.

stickyfingers85 Jul 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Can someone explain what a civ is?